An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
11 BRADPOLE (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXVIII, N.W.)
Bradpole is a small parish and village 1½ m. N.E. of Bridport.
(1) Parish Church of Holy Trinity stands on the W. of the village. The walls are of ashlar. It was entirely rebuilt in 1845–6 in 13th-century style, and consists of Chancel, N. Vestry added in 1897, Nave with N. arcade of four bays opening into the N. Aisle, N.W. Tower, with spire added in 1863, and S. Porch.
Fixed to the W. wall is the two-centred head of a 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery, said to have been the E. window of the former chapel of St. Andrew at Bridport, erected here in 1909. In the garden of a cottage about 100 yards N. of the church are the bases of two 13th or 14th-century columns, presumably from the same source.
Fittings—Coffin-stool: with turned legs and stretchers, late 17th-century. Font: chamfered octagonal bowl with moulded necking, 15th-century with modern repair; the stem and base are modern. Monuments: In the nave—on S. wall. (1) to Frances Way, wife of Samuel Way, 1823, and later inscriptions to Holles Bull Way, 1810, and his wife Frances Lee Way, 1857, white marble wall-tablet with cornice and urn, by Gibbs, Axminster. In churchyard—on S. side, (2) to William Way, 1654–5, and Elizabeth his wife, 1654–5, table-tomb. Plate: includes a cup of 1570 and a paten and flagon of 1677. Royal Arms: of metal, Hanoverian to 1800.
(2) Bridge, over the river Brit, 1,130 yards N.W. of the church, is of rubble and of two spans with a cut-water. The arches are two-centred and the structure may be of the 17th century or earlier.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with thatch or modern materials. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
(3) Myrtle House, on the N. side of the road 210 yards E. of the church, has been refronted in the 18th century. Two of the fireplaces are original.
(4) Cottage, two tenements, nearly opposite (3), is modern except for a window at the E. end with a moulded label.
(5) Cottage, two tenements, on the E. side of the road 270 yards E.S.E. of the church, retains an original stone window of four lights with a label.
(6) House, 270 yards E.S.E. of the church, was built late in the 18th century or early in the 19th century. The ground floor windows have flat stone arches; there is a flat hood on shaped brackets over the entrance door and the reveals of the doorway are panelled.
(7) Stepps Farm, house 250 yards S.E. of (5).
(8) Barrow, 220 yards N.N.E. of the church, stands on a small hillock. It is about 17 ft. in diam. and 5 ft. high.
(9) Lynchets, on the S.E. side of Watton Hill, consist of traces only of former terraces.