An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 1, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1916.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
54. NEWPORT. (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)viii. S.E. (b)ix. S.W.)
Newport is a small parish about 3 m. S.W. of Saffron Walden, with a large village, formerly a market town. The principal monuments are the Church, Martin's Farm, the Crown House, and Monks Barn.
a (1). Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, formerly of the Assumption of Our Lady, stands on the W. side of the village. The walls are of flint and pebble rubble with some stone; the chancel-walls are partly of brick and have embattled parapets; the dressings are of limestone and clunch. The roofs are partly tiled and partly covered with lead. The walls of the Chancel, and the North and South Transepts, with the arches opening into them from the Nave, belong to a cruciform church of c. 122040; the tower probably stood over the crossing. The South Aisle was rebuilt or added early in the 14th century, and the North Aisle was rebuilt c. 1390. In the 15th century the upper part of the chancel-walls was rebuilt and late in the same century the chancel-windows were again altered; about the same time the West Tower was added; the North Vestry and the South Porch and Porch-chamber were also built in the 15th century. Late in the 15th or early in the 16th century the clearstorey was added to the nave, and probably before, the middle of the 16th century the clearstorey of the chancel was built. Probably early in the 17th century a fireplace and chimney were added to the vestry and the roof was raised. The church was generally restored, except the chancel, and the W. tower rebuilt in 18589; in 1911 the chancel was restored.
The church is interesting from its development, although none of the details is particularly fine; among the fittings, the 13th-century chest, the 15th-century lectern and the 14th and 15th-century glass are noteworthy.
Architectural DescriptionThe Chancel (37 ft. by 22 ft.) has a continuous 13th-century external string-course on the E. wall and on part of the N. and S. walls. The 15th-century E. window is of five lights under a two-centred head and has been almost completely restored; the external label and the splays, rear arch and label, which has one defaced head-stop, with some other parts are original. In the N. wall are two windows with two clearstorey windows above them; the eastern of the lower windows is of early 15th-century date and of three cinquefoiled lights with moulded jambs and tracery under a four-centred head; the mullions and part of the tracery are modern; the western window is modern, except the splays and acutely pointed, chamfered rear arch, which are probably of the 14th century. E. of the windows is a 15th-century doorway to the vestry, with splayed jambs and a moulded four-centred arch. The 16th-century clearstorey windows are each of a single light, with moulded jambs and a four-centred head under a square external label, all of red brick. In the S. wall are three windows and above them are two clearstorey windows uniform with the clearstorey windows in the N. wall; the two eastern of the lower windows are modern, except the 15th-century splays and rear arches; the westernmost window is entirely modern, except part of the splays. Between the two eastern windows is a doorway with 13th-century jambs of two moulded orders and a 15th-century four-centred arch under a square head, with a segmental pointed rear arch; on each side of the doorway are traces of a blocked window; the W. jamb and splay of the eastern window are visible, with the springing of the arch, probably of late 14th or early 15th-century date; the window was probably carried down to form a sedile; the traces of the western window are only visible externally. The mid 13th-century chancel-arch is of two chamfered orders with a plain label in the nave; the responds have each a semi-octagonal shaft with a moulded base and a bell-capital which has nail-head ornament.
The North Vestry (11 ft. by 10 ft.) has in the E. wall a 16th-century doorway with a four-centred arch of red brick, converted from a 15th-century window of two lights with moulded jambs of clunch. In the N. wall is a single-light window, all modern except the sill and the base of the jambs, the internal splays and segmental-pointed rear-arch, which are of the 15th century; further E. is a modern fireplace and, above it, an octagonal 17th-century chimney-stack, much restored.
The Nave (66 ft. by 22 ft. average) has a transept-arch and an arcade of three bays on the N. side; the transept-arch is probably of c. 122040, rebuilt and widened in the 15th century; the responds are chamfered and have semi-octagonal shafts with moulded bases, and bell-capitals, enriched with nail-head ornament. The two-centred arch is struck from slightly below the springing line and is of two chamfered orders; the N. arcade is of c. 1390 and the piers are each of four round shafts divided by hollow chamfers; the bases are moulded and the moulded capitals carved with double leaves; the responds have attached half-columns and the two-centred arches are of two moulded orders, with moulded labels which have carved foliage, and head-stops on each side. On the S. side is a transept-arch similar to that on the N., except that the abacus of the capital of the W. respond is probably a 14th-century alteration; the S. arcade is of three bays, which are of narrower span than those on the N.; it is of early 14th-century date and has octagonal piers with halfcolumns to the responds, all with moulded bases and bell-capitals slightly different in detail; the two-centred arches are of two chamfered orders, with labels in the nave; the eastern arch is mainly of re-used 13th-century voussoirs, and much of the masonry has been re-faced. The late 15th or early 16th-century clearstorey has four windows in both the N. and S. walls, each of three cinquefoiled lights under a segmental head; the splays and rear arch are moulded and terminate in moulded octagonal bases; the sills of the eastern pair of windows are higher than the rest, to avoid the roofs of the transepts.
The North Transept (26 ft. by 19 ft.) has a 15th-century E. window, of three cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery under a two-centred head, a moulded external label and hollow-chamfered rear arch; on the internal face the moulded mullions and jambs have small attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the external work has been much restored. In the N. wall s a modern window, and W. of the window a change in the rubble masonry suggests the former existence of a 13th-century lancet. In the W. wall are two 13th-century lancets with chamfered and rebated jambs and rear arches, completely restored externally. Further S. is a 13th-century arch, of one pointed and chamfered order stopped above the chamfered impests; the responds are stop-chamfered, and there is a double-chamfered label in the transept, stepped and continued along the W. wall as a string-course.
The South Transept (27 ft. by 20 ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of three cinquefoiled lights with tracery under a four-centred head and an external label, most of the tracery and part of the N. jamb are modern, and the rear arch was apparently rebuilt with the old material; further S. are the bases of the jambs and the sill of a 13th-century lancet, only visible externally. In the S. wall is a modern window. In the W. wall is a 14th-century arch opening into the S. aisle; the chamfered responds have semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the pointed arch is of two chamfered orders and the plain label in the transept has one modern and one original mask-stop.
The North Aisle (10 ft. wide) has in the N. wall three windows, the easternmost, probably of c. 1390, is of three trefoiled and sub-cusped lights with tracery in a two-centred head, and has a moulded external label with defaced head-stops; the jambs, head and rear arch are moulded; the second window is modern and the westernmost window is similar to the first, but the jambs, head and rear arch are chamfered; the internal splays of all three windows are carried down to enclose benches.
The South Aisle (11 ft. wide at E. end, 10 ft. at W. end) has in the S. wall two windows, both modern, except the 15th-century chamfered rear arch and splays of the western window. Between the windows is the S. doorway, probably of the 14th century, but much restored; the jambs and two-centred arch are of two moulded orders; further W., opening into the stair-turret of the porch, is a 15th-century doorway, with moulded jambs and four-centred arch. In the W. wall is a window of two lights, and of c. 1320, with modern tracery in a two-centred head; the jambs, head and mullions are moulded and the external stone-work is much perished.
The West Tower (16 ft. by 15 ft.) is modern, except the tower-arch and the vaulting shafts in the angles of the ground stage. The lofty 15th-century tower-arch is pointed and of two moulded orders, the inner order springs from attached shafts with moulded bases and capitals. The vaulting shafts in the angles of the tower are set between two hollows and are similar to those on the responds of the tower-arch.
The South Porch and Porch-chamber have been much restored or perhaps rebuilt, except the 15th-century stair-turret at the N.W. angle, which is lighted by two loops. A considerable amount of old material has been re-used, including much of the panelled and crocketed pinnacles at the angles, the coping of the parapet, the string-course and two grotesque gargoyles.
The Roof of the chancel is flat and of the 16th-century, probably restored at a later period; it is of four bays, and the tie-beams have curved braces and vertical wall-posts moulded at the lower ends; the western-most tie-beam is moulded and the others are chamfered; the ridge, purlins, and wall-plates are partly moulded and partly chamfered. The roof of the vestry is not visible, but is probably of the 17th century. The nave has a late 15th or early 16th-century roof of four bays; the tie-beams have curved braces and straining-beams, and above them are queen-posts with arched braces; the tie-beams, principals and wallplates are moulded and the other timbers hollow-chamfered; at the feet of the intermediate principals are carved wooden angels, four on each side. The 15th-century roof of the N. transept is of three bays; it has moulded main timbers and king-posts, and under the tie-beams rough wall-posts and braces on moulded wood corbels have been added, probably in the 17th century. The roof of the S. transept is of the same date and construction, but the tie-beams retain the original curved braces, which rest on roughly carved head-corbels on the E. wall, and on moulded corbels on the W. wall; the southern beam has sagged badly. The S. porch has two moulded intersecting ceiling-beams and moulded cornices, all of the 15th century. The porch chamber has a low gabled roof with a 15th-century chamfered ridge.
FittingsBells: six; 2nd by Miles Graye, 1620; 3rd inscribed "Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum," probably by Henry Jordan, c. 1450. Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In S. aisle(1) of Thomas Brond, 1515, and Margery his wife, with figure of man in long gown, woman in pedimental head-dress, two plates with children, foot and marginal inscriptions, and symbols of the Evangelists at the corners. In tower(2) of Katherine, wife of Gefferye Nightingale, 1608, with figures of man in cloak and ruff, woman in panier skirt, and foot inscription; (3) to William Nightingale, 1609, inscription only. Indents: Outside S. doorway two, one with traces of cross and marginal inscription. Chest: (see Plate, p. 200) In S. transeptof oak, bound with nail-studded iron bands, three original drop handles and five locks, front divided by iron bands into three strips, the upper with a row of blank shields, the middle with lozenge panels filled with modern lead foliage (copied from the original work now at the South Kensington Museum), the lower strip with circular panels; lid considerably restored, five painted panels on the under side, chiefly in red and green, representing the Crucifixion, and figures of St. Mary, St. John, St. Peter and St. Paul, all under trefoiled canopies, paintings now covered with glass, in a modern oak frame; inside chest, a false bottom and a locker at one end, late 13th-century. Coffin-lid: In churchyardat E. end of church, fragment, with chamfered edge and remains of cross, 14th-century. Communion Table: modern, with 16th-century panels, probably German or Flemish, let into the front, carved in high relief with representations of the Epiphany, Crucifixion, and Resurrection. In vestrytable with carved legs and brackets and plain rails, 17th-century. Doors: In doorway from chancel to vestryof oak, plain, with straphinges, probably early 16th-century. In lower doorway of porch stair-turretmodern back, overlapping battens studded with nails, strap-hinges and drop-handle, 16th-century; in upper doorway, of oak in one piece, with plain hinges and drop-handle, 16th-century. Font and Font-cover. Font: octagonal bowl, with trefoiled arches under gables on each side, probably 13th-century, base modern. Font-cover: of oak, with centre post, carved apex and four supports, each carved and crocketed, 15th-century. Glass: In N. transeptin two windows in W. wall, figure of St. Michael slaying the Dragon, much made up, with shield or a cross gules and a figure of St. Katherine crowned and holding a wheel and scroll inscribed "Sancta Katerina," 14th-century, bought about 30 years ago; top and bottom of both windows filled with fragments, 14th and 15th-century. Lectern: (See Plate, p. 200) of oak, ends of desk carved with quatrefoils, stem octagonal with trefoil-headed panels, moulded octagonal base, 15th-century. Lockers: In porch-chamberin E. wall, two recesses, one on each side of fireplace, date uncertain. Monuments and Floor-slabs: Floor-slabs: In N. aisleat W. end, (1) to Elizabeth Nightingale, 1686, and Elizabeth Cumins, her daughter, 1686, with two coats of arms. In tower(2) to Gyles Dent, 1670, with coat of arms; (3) to Giles Firmin, 1693, buried 1694. Painting: In chancelon E. splay of S.E. window, traces of red colour. Piscin: In chancelwith cinquefoiled four-centred head, chamfered jambs and circular multifoil basin, 15th-century. In N. transeptE. wall, with cinquefoiled ogee head and trefoiled spandrels, circular basin, 14th-century. In S. transeptS. wall, plain, with rounded recess, hollow-chamfered pointed head, no basin, possibly 13th-century. Recess: In chancelE. wall, behind communion table, plain, with flat triangular head, possibly entrance to 'bone-hole.' Screen: Under chancel-archof oak, middle doorway with a bay and a half on each side, divided by moulded posts with attached shafts, moulded and embattled head and moulded rail, upper part of side bays with six open lights and traceried heads, three lower panels in each bay, open and trefoiled, early 15th-century. Seating: In chancel fixed to seating, seven popeys, and similar half-popeys; on each side, stall-fronts with traceried panels, carved spandrels and band of carving, all much restored, but partly original on the N. side, 16th-century.
a (2). Worked Stones in a wall on the E. side of the main road, S. of Shortgrove Park. They formed part of the hospital of St. Mary and St. Leonard, which stood on an adjoining site. The stones include seven sections of half-octofoil responds of the 13th century, and two sections of circular columns.
b (3). Shortgrove House, m. N.E. of the church, is of three storeys with a cellar. The walls are of brick and the roofs are partly tiled and partly covered with slate. The original house, according to an 18th-century monumental inscription in the parish church, was built by Giles Dent in 1684; it was of modified H-shape, as the wings at the N. and S. ends projected very slightly towards the W. Early in the 18th century an extension was built out between and beyond the wings on the E., making the plan nearly square. At a slightly later date small wings were built out at the four corners and an additional storey was added to the original building. Modern additions include the filling in of the spaces between the N. and S. pairs of the later wings.
The W. Elevation of the original house is divided into three bays. Each wall has rubbed brick bands between the storeys, a chamfered plinth and modern rusticated brick quoins. The middle bay has an early 18th-century projecting portico of stone. The windows of the two original storeys have flat arches of red brick.
In the middle bay of the N. Side, high up, the 17th-century brickwork of the original house is exposed.
Interior:The original building has an entrance Hall in the middle, and the wings are divided into rooms, but the internal arrangement has been much altered. The Hall has original raised panelling on the walls, and the moulded grey marble fireplace is possibly original. The Business Room, N. of the Hall, has similar panelling. The secondary Staircase has original turned balusters and moulded handrails painted and re-used. The Cellar has some stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and is partly paved with thin bricks laid herring-bone-wise.
In the stables N.E. of the house are eight original solid window-frames with transoms, probably brought from the house.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of two storeys, timber-framed and covered with plaster; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Many of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams, wide fireplaces and original chimney-stacks.
ConditionGood, or fairly good, unless noted.
The Saffron Walden Road, E. side
b (4). The Coach and Horses Inn, about 750 yards N. of the church, was built on a rectangular plan in the second half of the 16th century. In the 17th-century additions were made at the back, and the N. end has been extended. In front the upper storey projects and the vertical framing is exposed. Inside the building the large moulded ceiling-beams are exposed. On the first floor some of the timber construction is visible, and there is an original arched fireplace, with chamfered jambs.
Lower Road, E. side
b (5). Martin's Farm, house, and barn, 600 yards N. of the church (see Plate, p. 34). The House is of two storeys with a cellar. It was built in the 15th century, on a rectangular plan with a Hall in the middle, a Solar at the N. end and a Buttery at the S. end. Late in the 16th century a chimney-stack was inserted between the Hall and the Solar; part of the E. wall of the Hall was removed and the room was extended on that side; at the same time the Hall was divided into two storeys, and two gabled wings were added at the back.
The four 16th-century fireplaces and the moulded brick chimney-shafts are noteworthy.
On the W. Front part of the upper storey projects and has close set vertical framing; the ground floor is almost entirely of modern brick; the gable at the N. end has original moulded and foiled barge-boards with a small quatrefoil ornament at one end. Under the eaves are the remains of five original louvres or ventilators, each of three lights with moulded mullions, not grooved for glass.
The E. Elevation is covered with plaster and has four gables. The main chimney-stack is of the 16th century and has four circular shafts, enriched with a variety of designs in moulded brick, restored caps, and a rectangular panelled base (see Plate, p. 34).
Interior:On the ground floor the Hall is now divided by a passage into two rooms. On each side of the chimney-stack is an enriched plaster fireplace with a four-centred head, pilasters and an entablature; the fireplace on the S. side has modelled spandrels and a frieze of dolphins' heads. There are five 16th-century panelled doors and two plain doors of oak. In the middle room there is a little panelling of late 16th-century date, and a cupboard in the kitchen is made up of similar panelling with cock's-head hinges. On the first floor there are two plaster fireplaces with flanking pilasters and four-centred heads somewhat similar to those on the ground floor. There are also four late 16th-century panelled doors, three with cock's-head hinges, and a fifth of rough oak battens. The larger projecting wing at the back has a blocked window of three lights, with moulded mullions of late 16th-century date. The original roof was burnt, but some of the charred timbers were re-used; in the roof is an old dove-cot.
The Barn, E. of the house, is of the 17th-century and of four bays with side-aisles, and a N. wing of later date, The walls are weather-boarded, and the roof is covered with corrugated iron. A second barn with a thatched roof may be of late 17th-century date.
ConditionGood, except the S. end.
b (6). Cottage, S. of (5), built probably in the 16th-century, and with a modern brick addition at the N.E. corner The upper storey projects at the W. end, and the original chimney-stack on the N. side has three shafts.
b (7). Crown House (see Plate, p. 203), S. of (6), is of two storeys with a cellar, and was built on a rectangular plan probably late in the 16th century. In the 17th century additions were built at the back, making the plan irregularly L-shaped. The date 1692 over the door probably refers to the plaster-work and the shell-hood.
The W. front has ornamental plaster panels with roses, foliage and garlands; in the middle is a crown in high relief; above the doorway is the date 1692 and a good shell-hood resting on carved brackets; the casement windows have projecting lintels and two of them are blocked. The back elevation is plainly plastered and has four gables.
Interior:The 17th-century staircase has twisted balusters and moulded handrails. On the first floor some of the original timber-framing is exposed, and in the narrow wing at the back is a plain original fireplace with a four-centred arch and stop-chamfered jambs.
b (8). Cottage, two tenements, S. of (7), built probably in the 16th century, and with two modern additions at the back.
b (9). Cottage, two tenements, S. of (8), built probably in the 16th century, and with modern additions at the back. Inside the building in both tenements a moulded ceiling-beam is exposed.
ConditionDestroyed by fire in 1914, since investigation.
b (10). The Three Tuns Inn, (see Plates p. 95), S. of (9), was built probably late in the 15th century and consists of two parts of unequal height; there are small modern additions at the back. In front the upper storey projects and has a moulded fascia carved with running ornament, now much weathered. The close-set vertical timber-framing is exposed in both storeys. The back is partly covered with plaster. Inside the building, in the middle part of the house, the moulded ceilingbeams are exposed and the large fireplace in the bar parlour has an embattled oak lintel, partly destroyed. In the upper storey part of the timber construction is visible and there is also a fireplace with a stop-chamfered oak lintel.
ConditionGutted by fire in 1914, since investigation, and restored.
b (11). The Priory, house, now three tenements, 50 yards S.W. of (10), is of two storeys with a cellar. It was built probably late in the 15th century, on a rectangular plan with a small staircase-wing at the back. Modern additions have been made at each end and at the back. On the S.E. front the upper storey projects. At the N.E. end there is an original oriel window with moulded oak mullions, lintel and sill; the lights are arched internally; some of the other windows have iron casements. The 16th-century central chimney-stack has four grouped shafts.
Interior:On the S.W. side of the central chimney-stack the blocked fireplace has a massive moulded oak lintel. In the N.E. part of the house the moulded ceiling-beams are exposed, and the door to the staircase wing is of rough oak panelling, probably of late 16th-century date. Above the doorway to the second staircase is part of the flat four-centred head of a 16th-century doorway. The cellar has a large window, partly blocked, and a well in the floor. In the upper storey the roof-construction is exposed and has shaped wall-posts, and cambered tie-beams with curved braces, and king-posts with two-way struts. On each side of the central stack is a small recess with a flat pointed head, and on the N.E. side there is a brick fireplace with a head of similar shape. Traces of stamped decoration remain on the internal plaster-work.
Main Street, E. side
b (12). Cottage, 80 yards S. of (11), is probably of the 17th century, with a modern addition at the back. The plan is of modified T-shape with the cross-wing at the N. end, built partly of stone at the back.
b (13). House (see Plate, p. xxv), 100 yards S. of (12), was built probably late in the 15th or early in the 16th century; later in the 16th century a small extension was made at the N. end. In the front of the original house the upper storey projects, and has a moulded bressumer and vertical timber-framing; the upper storey of the extension also projects, but is plastered. Inside the building some original moulded ceiling-beams with broach-stops are exposed, and the doorway to the staircase has a moulded frame and a four-centred head.
b (14). Cottage, S. of (13), built in the 17th century.
b (15). Cottage, S. of (14), built in the 17th century.
b (16). The White Horse Inn, S. of (15), built probably late in the 17th century. There is a dove-cot in the S. gable, and the S. end is weather-boarded.
b (17). House and shop, S. of (16), built in the 17th century and with an 18th-century wing at the back. The main roof is brought down low at the back.
b (18). House and shop, 130 yards S. of (17), built probably in the 17th century. It has a projecting wing at the back and three dormer windows in front. At the S. end is an 18th-century addition; the house has been much restored and altered.
b (19). The Post Office, S. of (18), built in the 17th century, with an 18th-century wing at the back.
b (20). Monk's Barn (see Plate, p. 204), house, now two tenements, 100 yards S. of (19), was built in the 15th century on a rectangular plan, the S. part of the building being narrower and a little lower than the rest. The chimney-stack was inserted probably in the 16th century, and the house has been recently restored.
It is an interesting example of a 15th-century building, with elaborate wood carving below the oriel window.
In front the close-set vertical timber-framing is filled in with brickwork, laid diagonally, and largely original; the upper storey projects at each end, and from the projections spring curved braces which support the coved eaves of the middle part; one of the brackets supporting the beam of the N. projection is original, and is carried down as an attached shaft with a moulded capital. In the N. tenement the oak door has nail-studded battens and a moulded frame with a four-centred arch, square head and carved spandrels. N. of the door, in the projecting upper storey, is a modern oriel window with an original carved oak base (see Plate, p. xxxiv); rising from conventional clouds is a crowned figure of the Virgin holding the Child in her left arm and a sceptre in her right hand; on each side is the figure of an angel holding an organ and a harp respectively. Some of the other windows have old metal casements. At the S. end of the house the timber-framing is exposed, but the other elevations are plastered. The central chimney-stack is cross-shaped on plan.
Interior:The middle part of the house has moulded ceiling-beams and the joists are exposed in all the rooms. In the N. tenement there is a blocked doorway with a four-centred head and moulded frame. In the upper storey one moulded beam on shaped wall-posts is exposed, and at each end of the main block is a roof-truss with curved braces; those at the N. end meet to form an arch.
b (21). The Old Vicarage, 140 yards S. of (20), is of two storeys with a cellar, and was built, probably early in the 16th century, on a rectangular plan. There are two modern additions at the back. In front the upper storey projects and is gabled at each end. Most of the back elevation has been re-faced with modern brick but part of the upper storey originally projected. Inside the building the arrangement appears to have been of the usual type, with the Hall in the middle and a room at each end. W. of the central chimney-stack is a plain staircase of old oak. The roof of the N. gable has a king-post truss with carved braces below the tie-beam.
b (22). House, and shop, 120 yards S. of (21), built probably in the 17th century, but much altered and restored.
b (23). House, and shop, 80 yards S. of (22), built probably in 1694, the date on the W. wall. The plan is L-shaped with the wings extending towards the N. and W.
b (24). The Railway Inn, 30 yards S. of (23), is modern, with two 17th-century cottages incorporated in it.
b (25). House, 200 yards S.S.E. of the church, is probably of late 16th-century date, and formerly extended further towards the N. In front the upper storey projects, and the wall-posts and tie-beam are exposed at the N. end. Some of the window-fastenings are old.
b (26). Cottage, 250 yards N. of (25), built in the 17th century. Some old casement windows remain.
b (27). House, 60 yards N. of (26), built probably late in the 17th century, and of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W. The front of the main block has been re-faced with modern brick.
b (28). Cottage, 40 yards N. of (27), built in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and W.
b (29). Moulded timbers in a barn, 30 yards N. of (28). They are probably of the 15th century and are now used as studs.
Elephants Green, W. side
b (30). Cottage, now two tenements, 75 yards N.E. of the church, built in the 17th century, on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and S.
Wicken Road, S. side
a (31). Cottage, now two tenements, 75 yards S. of the church, built probably late in the 16th century. In front the upper storey projects.
b (32). Mount, possibly bowl barrow, a few yards S.W. of Shortgrove House, is of irregular form, 22 ft. high and 25 ft. in diameter at the summit.