Shellow Bowells

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Shellow Bowells', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west, (London, 1921) pp. 213. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/essex/vol2/p213 [accessed 20 April 2024]

In this section

83. SHELLOW BOWELLS (E.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. lli. N.E.)

Shellow Bowells is a small parish about 5 m. N.E. of Chipping Ongar.

Ecclesiastical

(1). Parish Church of S.S. Peter and Paul was entirely re-built in 1754, but retains from the old church the following:—

Fitting—Bell: said to be uninscribed, but probably by Miles Graye, early 17th-century.

Condition—Good, re-built.

Secular

Homestead Moats.

(2). About ¼ m. E. of the church.

(3). About ¾ m. E. of the church.

(4). In Shellow Lane, about ½ m. E.S.E. of the church.

(5). Shellow Hall, house and moat about 230 yards S. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 17th century and is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and S. One chimney-stack is original and has grouped diagonal shafts. The gable of the S. wing has original carved barge-boards.

The Moat surrounds the house.

Condition—Good.

(6). Miller's Green Farm, house about 1 m. W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and has an original chimney-stack.

Condition—Fairly good.