An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
44. HIGH RODING. (D.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxii. N.E. (b)xxxii. S.E.)
High Roding is a small parish about 10 m. N.W. of Chelmsford. The Church and New Hall are the principal monuments.
b(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands nearly 1 m. S.W. of the village. The walls are of flint-rubble with a little freestone and with dressings of clunch; the roofs are covered with tiles and slates. The Chancel and Nave were built probably early in the 13th century. The South Porch was added probably late in the 14th century and the chancel-arch re-built and widened. The church was restored in the 19th century when the North Vestry was added and the bell-cote and the E. and W. walls were re-built.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31 ft. by 19 ft.) has the axis inclined towards the S. The E. window is modern. In the N. wall is a 13th-century lancet window with a modern external head; further W. is a modern doorway. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern is modern; the western is a late 14th-century window of one cinque-foiled ogee light in a square head; between the windows is a modern doorway. The late 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of three chamfered orders; the responds have each three attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
The Nave (50 ft. by 23 ft.) has in the N. wall three windows: the easternmost is probably of late 14th-century date and is of two cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head; the jambs and splays are moulded; the two western windows are 13th-century lancets, partly restored; between them is the 13th-century N. doorway with jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders with restored moulded imposts and a moulded and billeted label. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost and westernmost are probably of late 14th-century date, partly restored, and are each of three cinque-foiled ogee lights in a segmental head; the 15th-century middle window is partly restored and of two cinque-foiled lights under a segmental-pointed head; between the two western windows is the late 14th-century S. doorway with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label. In the W. wall there are two modern windows, and on the W. gable is a modern bell-cote.
The South Porch is of late 14th-century date and has an outer archway with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label, all much restored. In each side wall is a window of two cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery under a square head.
The Roof of the chancel has 15th-century moulded wall-plates and tie-beam with curved braces and trussed rafters. The 15th-century trussed-rafter roof of the nave is of four bays and has tie-beams with curved braces and moulded wall-plates; at the W. end are indications of the former existence of a wooden bell-turret. The S. porch has late 14th-century moulded plates.
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel—(1) to John Joceline, 1603, inscription only; (2) to Christopher Jocelin, 1605, Edward Jocelynn, 1627, and Mary (Lambe), his wife, 1614, two inscriptions and shield of arms. Chairs: In vestry—two, with carved backs and front rails, upholstered seats, early 18th-century. Communion Table: with turned and carved legs, plain lower and fluted top rails with carved brackets, late 16th or early 17th-century. Doors: In N. doorway— modern with two strap-hinges and ornamental ironwork with foliated ends, 13th-century; in S. doorway—framed and battened with ornamental ironwork, 13th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with a quatrefoil enclosing a shield on each face and a moulded under side, panelled stem and moulded base, early 15th-century. Glass: In chancel—in S.E. window, two roses in tracery. In nave—in N.E. window, two angels with censers, late 14th-century, and other fragments in tracery; in S.E. window, fragments of original glass in tracery, late 14th-century; in second window, fragments, early 16th-century. Piscina: with two-centred head and two round drains, 13th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1562 with chased band and cover-paten of same date; dish probably of 1697. Pulpit (Plate p. xxxviii); octagonal, sides panelled with cinque-foiled and traceried heads, moulded angle-posts, 15th or early 16th-century, door of late 16th or early 17th-century panelling, stem modern.
Condition—Good, but some stonework perished and old settlement at W. end of nave.
b(2). About ¾ m. S.S.W. of the church.
a(3). Opposite Gower's Farm, about 1½ m. N.E. of the church.
b(4). At Broadgates, about 1½ m. E.N.E. of the church.
b(5). High Rodingbury, house and moat, 150 yards N.N.E. of the church. The House is modern but at the back is a small block, timber-framed and plastered and of c. 1700; the roof is tiled.
The Moat nearly surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
b(6). New Hall, house, barn and moat, about ¾ m. W. by S. of the church. The House is of two storeys, partly of brick and partly of plastered timber-framing; the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 16th century probably on a half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. but the only parts now standing are the E. wing and a projecting porch in the middle of the former main block. The E. wing has been much altered, probably in the 17th century when the rest of the house was demolished.
The house has interesting brick detail of early 16th-century date and the barn with the brick nogging is noteworthy.
The W. Elevation has a 17th-century projecting upper storey, except at the S. end which is original and of brick. The S. End (Plate p. 145) is also original and has a small semi-octagonal projecting wing with a crow-stepped gable and trefoiled brick corbelling; the angles brought to a square below the gable by moulded corbelling; there are two original windows, one in each storey and each of three round-headed lights in a square head; the upper window has a moulded label. The E. Elevation is partly of brick and part of plastered timber-framing; near the S. end is an original window, formerly of three lights and now blocked; below it is a small window with a square label and now blocked. Near the N. end is a projecting gable resting on curved diagonal brackets and probably original. The two chimney-stacks are probably both of the 17th century and that on the N. has diagonal shafts.
Inside the building, one room has original moulded ceiling-beams and there is a wide open fireplace.
The Porch is original and now stands isolated to the W. of the house; it is of brick and has outer and inner archways with moulded jambs and four-centred arches; flanking the outer archway are blocked single-light windows and above it is a stone window of two-lights in a square head; the crow-stepped gable is similar to that at the end of the wing. The side walls have each a brick window of three lights in a square head and at the first-floor level is a corbel-table of small trefoiled arches. Inside the porch are original moulded ceiling-beams.
The Barn (Plate, p. 145), S.W. of the house, is of timber-framing with brick nogging; the roof is tiled. The barn was built probably early in the 16th century and is of seven bays; the roof is of the king-post type. A small timber-framed and thatched outbuilding is probably of the 17th century.
The Moat surrounds the house and the inner bank has a brick retaining wall. There are remains of a second enclosure to the N.
Condition—Of house and barn, good; of porch, bad.
b(7). Hightrees, house and moat, nearly 1 m. E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th century and has inside the building some chamfered ceiling-beams.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
b(8). Porters, house and moat, nearly 1 m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 15th century with a central Hall and Kitchen and Solar wings at the N. and S. ends. An upper floor was inserted in the Hall and other alterations made probably c. 1652. The upper storey of the S. cross-wing projects on the W. front with a moulded bressumer, and in the upper storey is a projecting bay-window with a pedimental gable and moulded pendants and bearing the repainted date 1652. The original Hall has an added gable with a moulded bressumer and carved pendants of the 17th century. Two windows on this side are partly of the 17th century and the porch has one old moulded bracket. On the E. front a 17th-century window in the upper storey has moulded mullions and a moulded pediment.
Inside the building one room has an original moulded ceiling-beam and wall-post. The roofs have tie-beams with curved braces and king-posts; that over the former hall is smoke-blackened; a fireplace on the first floor has an original moulded oak lintel.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, poor.
b(9). Cottage and moat, N. of Rands and about 1¼ m. N.E. of the church. The Cottage is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are thatched. It was built in the 16th century and probably formed part of a larger house. On the S. front the upper storey projects on curved brackets.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Many of the buildings have original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b(10). Attridge's, house, nearly 1½ m. E.N.E. of the church; it is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and S.
b(11). Andrews, house, 300 yards S.E. of (10), was built in the 16th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end. The upper storey of the cross-wing projects at the S. end and the gable has original foiled barge-boards. Inside the building there is some late 16th-century panelling.
Main Street, E. side
b(12). House, now two tenements, nearly 1 m. N.E. of the church. The original central chimney-stack has three grouped shafts, set diagonally.
b(13). Cottage, two tenements, about 100 yards S.S.W. of (12), was built late in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E. The upper storey projects at the N. end of the W. front.
b(14). House (Plate, p. 45), 100 yards N. of (12), was built probably in the 16th century with a gabled cross-wing at the S. end. The northern part of the house has been destroyed.
b(15). House, 370 yards S.S.W. of (14), has a gabled cross-wing at the N. end, of which the upper storey projects on the E. front.
b(16). House, (Plate, p. 45), two tenements, 100 yards S.S.W. of (15), formerly extended further to the S.
b(17). The Black Lion Inn (Plate, p. 45), S.S.W. of (16), was built in the 16th century or earlier, and has a gable at each end of the E. front; the upper storey at the N. end projects and each gable has moulded barge-boards and a carved pendant at the apex.
b(18). The Ware, house, about 100 yards S.W. of (17), was built probably in the 16th century. The upper storey projects and is gabled at the S. end of the E. front.
b(19). Poplars, house, now two tenements, about 1 m. S.W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E.
b(20). Mill Hill, about ½ m. E.S.E. of the church, probably site of mill and surrounded by a circular ditch.
Ilford, see Great Ilford and Little Ilford.