An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
47. LAMBOURNE. (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lviii. S.W. (b)lviii. S.E. (c)lxvi. N.W.)
Lambourne is a parish 5 m. N.N.W. of Romford, with a small village at Alridge. The Church is interesting.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Mary and All Saints stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are of flint-rubble, covered with cement; the dressings are of limestone and brick; the roofs are tiled, the bell-turret and W. gable are weather-boarded and the spire is covered with lead. The Chancel and Nave were built about the middle of the 12th century, but in the 13th century the chancel was almost entirely re-built. Early in the 16th century the bell-turret was added. Probably in the middle of the 18th century both the chancel and the nave were largely remodelled, most of the windows being renewed and the N. and S. doorways of the nave re-set. The North Organ-chamber is modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29 ft. by 19 ft.) has no old details except a small 13th-century lancet window, now blocked, in the S. wall. The thicker walls at the W. end probably represent part of a 12th-century chancel.
The Nave (50 ft. by 22 ft.) has in the N. wall two 18th-century windows; further W. is the re-set N. doorway of mid 12th-century date and now blocked; the jambs are of two orders, the inner square and the outer formerly with free shafts of which only the scalloped capitals remain; the outer order of the arch has cheveron ornament; the inner order forms a tympanum with a modern wooden lintel with a patchwork of stones above, some of which are set diagonally and enriched with axe-work; W. of the doorway is an original round-headed, single-light window, now blocked, and only visible externally. In the S. wall are two 18th-century windows; further W. is the 12th-century S. doorway, apparently re-built but with original voussoirs in the arch over the tympanum; W. of the doorway is an original window now covered with cement and blocked and similar to that in the N. wall. In the W. wall is a doorway dated 1776 and a window of the same date. The bell-turret stands at the W. end of the nave on chamfered oak posts with tie-beams and curved brace, probably of early 16th-century date.
The Roof of the nave has a king-post truss, probably mediaeval but now plastered.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by John Clifton, 1640; 2nd by James Bartlet, 1684. Brass: In chancel—of Robert Barfott, 1546, and Katheryn, his wife, with figures of man in fur-lined gown and woman in pedimental head-dress, etc., groups, one of five sons and the other of four sons and ten daughters, shield of the arms of the Mercers Company and a merchant's mark. Gallery: In nave—at W. end, with panelled front in three bays with bolection moulded panels and standards carved with the monogram W.W., moulded rail and plinth, staircase with turned balusters and square newels; inscription and date 1704. Glass: In chancel—in S.W. window, five rectangular panels of German or Swiss glass—(a) the choice between Good and Evil, dated 1630; (b) Adoration of the Magi, dated 1637; (c) Incredulity of St. Thomas, in spandrels the Annunciation, dated 1623; (d) Christ and St. Peter on the sea, in spandrels the Apocalyptic vision, dated 1631; (e) Adoration of the shepherds, the Virgin and Child and St. Anne and the Virgin and Child, in spandrels St. Christopher and a female saint, dated 1631; each with German inscription and a shield of arms. Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument: In chancel—on N. wall, to Thomas Wynnyff, rector of the parish and Willingale Doe, Dean of St. Paul's and Bishop of Lincoln, 1654, black and white marble tablet with side pilasters and broken pediment, three shields of arms. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to John Wynnyff, 1630; (2) to Robert Bromfield, 1647, and John, 1642, and Thomas, 1644, his grandsons, also to John Bromfield, 1687. Plate: includes cup of 1565, silver-gilt with ornamental bands and paten of 1703. Pulpit: four sides of an octagon each side with two masoned arches flanked by enriched pilasters and surrounded by an enriched frieze and dentilled cornice with curved brackets at the angles, early 17th-century, panelled base, c. 1700. Stalls: with panelled backs, upper panels with carved and pierced foliage, late 17th or early 18th-century.
a(2). Homestead Moat, at Bishop's Moat, about 700 yards S.E. of the church.
a(3). Lambourne Hall, 150 yards N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and plastered and the roofs are tiled. It was built about the middle of the 16th century but has been much altered and the exterior has no ancient features. Inside the building, the Oak Room at the E. end of the house has original moulded ceiling-beams and a chamfered wall-post; the walls have exposed timber-framing spaced for doorways on the N. and W. sides; on the E. side is an original fireplace with a depressed arch of oak with spandrels carved with foliage and two shields with badges—two masons squares and a bow-saw; on the same side is a ledged door with moulded muntins.
In the garden is an early 17th-century boundarywall containing three small brick niches with four-centred heads.
Condition—Good, much altered.
a(4). The Rectory, about 1,000 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are partly of plastered timber-framing and partly of brick; the roofs are tiled and lead covered. The house was originally built early in the 17th century. Early in the 18th century the front was faced with brick and at a later date the top storey was added and various additions made. The front has a projecting central bay with flanking pilasters and a pediment. The doorway has a wooden hood resting on carved brackets, and with a pediment; it is said to have come from Dews Hall in this parish.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Several of the buildings have original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
b(5). Arnold's Farm, house, about 1¼ m. N.E. of the church. The walls are weather-boarded and the upper storey projects in front.
a(6). House, now shops, on N. side of road at Alridge, nearly 1 m. N.W. of the church. The S. front has a gable at the E. end.
a(7). Post Office, house, on E. side of road 100 yards S. of (6). The upper storey projects and is gabled at the S. end of the W. front.
c(8). Harmes Farm, house, about 1¼ m. S.S.W. of the church. Inside the building, one room has a dado of original panelling.
a(9). Forest Lodge, house, ¾ m. S.S.E. of the church. There are two original chimney-stacks with shafts set diagonally.
b(10). Blue House, 400 yards E.S.E. of (9), has an original chimney-stack with four shafts set diagonally.