An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
50. LEADEN RODING. (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. xlii. N.E.)
Leaden Roding is a small parish and village about 8½ m. W.N.W. of Chelmsford. The Church is interesting.
(1). Parish Church of St. Michael and All Angels stands to the W. of the village. The walls are of flint-rubble with some admixture of freestone and with dressings of limestone; the roofs are tiled; the bell-turret is weather-boarded and the spire is shingled. The Nave was built probably late in the 11th century. Probably in the 13th century the Chancel was re-built and widened on both sides. In the 14th century the N. wall of the nave was re-built. The bell-turret was built probably late in the 15th or early in the 16th century. The church was restored in the 19th century when the North Vestry and South Porch were added and part of the S. wall of the nave re-built.
The church is apparently the earliest in the Rodings group; among the fittings the pulpit is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23½ ft. by 21½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern is a single round-headed light, modern externally, and plastered internally; the western window is modern; between the windows is a modern doorway and between the doorway and the eastern window is the 13th-century external head of a lancet window, now blocked. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (36 ft. by 20¾ ft. at the E. end and 19½ ft. at the W. end) has in the N. wall two windows, the eastern is of the 15th century and of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a four-centred head all much restored and having a re-set moulded label of the 14th century with head stops; the early 14th-century western window is of two cinque-foiled lights in a two-centred head with a moulded label and has been partly restored; between the windows is the 14th-century N. doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch; above it is a small rectangular opening now covered by the vestry. In the S. wall is a single round-headed light, all modern externally, and plastered internally; further W. is the late 11th-century S. doorway with plain jambs and semi-circular arch and grooved and chamfered imposts. In the W. wall is a modern window.
The Roof of the chancel has two rough tie-beams and trussed rafters of uncertain date. The early 16th-century roof of the nave has three chamfered tie-beams and moulded and embattled wall-plates. The bell-turret at the W. end of the nave stands on four double hollow-chamfered posts with tiebeams and curved braces, probably of late 15th or early 16th-century date.
Fittings—Bells: three, said to be—1st uninscribed; 3rd by Thomas Laurence and inscribed "John Aylet Gave Me In The Vorchup (worship) Of The Trinite Ao. 1523." Chest: In vestry— with incised and foliated ornament in front and two strap-hinges with foliated ends, mid 17th-century. Communion Table: with turned legs and fluted top rail, mid 17th-century. Communion Rails: with moulded rail, turned balusters and posts, two balusters not in situ, mid 17th-century, intermediate balusters removed. Floor-slab: In chancel—to John Jackson, rector of the parish, 1682, and John Jackson, B.A., 1682. Font: octagonal bowl with moulded lower edge, plain stem, two staples, 14th-century; cover with shaped cross-piece as handle, probably 17th-century. Glass: In chancel—in S.W. window, three foliated quarries and fragments, 14th-century. In W. window— two foliated quarries, 14th-century. Piscina: In nave—in N. wall at E. end, with two-centred head and foiled drain, probably early 14th-century, drain broken. Plate: includes cup of 1662 and cover-paten of the same date. Poor Box: made up of a 15th or early 16th-century moulded post fitted with a lid, with cross-straps and staples, 17th-century. Pulpit: (Plate p. xxxviii) octagonal with ribbed trumpet-stem, moulded top and lower rails, sides with traceried panels, embattled rail and quatre-foiled lower panels, buttresses at angles, octagonal stem-post with moulded capital and modern base, early 16th-century. Seating: incorporated in six modern benches, moulded rails, early 16th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
(2). Leaden Roding Hall, house and moat, N. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. The house was built late in the 16th century on a rectangular plan, and in the 18th century a wing was added to the W. Inside the building one room has original panelling and there is an original doorway with a four-centred head. A moulded ceiling-beam is not in situ.
The Moat surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, poor.
(3). Chalk's Farm, house and moat, ½ m. E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and has a modern addition on the N.E. side.
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Many of the buildings have original chimneystacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
(4). Lee's Farm, house, now two tenements, about ½ m. E. by N. of the church.
(5). House at Granary Farm, 600 yards E. by N. of the church. The original chimney-stack has diagonal pilaster strips.
(6). Outhouse at the William IV. Inn, 100 yards W. of (5), is weather-boarded.
(7). Brown's Farm, house, about ¼ m. E. of the church.
(8). Bridge House, cottage, now two tenements, ¼ m. W.S.W. of the church, was partly re-built in the 18th century. The original central chimney-stack has diagonal pilaster strips.
(9). Newhouse Farm, house, ¾ m. W.S.W. of the church, has an original chimney-stack at the E. end with two shafts set diagonally.
(10). Langley's Farm, house, ¾ m. N.W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending to the W. and N.
Leighs, see Great Leighs and Little Leighs.