An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 2, Central and South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1921.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
29. GOOD EASTER. (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xlii. N.E. (b)xlii. S.E. (c)xliii. N.W. (d)xliii. S.W.)
Good Easter is a small parish 6 miles N.W. of Chelmsford. The Parish Church is interesting.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands S. of the village. The walls are of flint-rubble, intermixed with some blocks of freestone in the chancel; the dressings are mostly of clunch; the roofs are tiled. The earliest detail indicates a church of c. 1200 consisting of a small Chancel and a Nave with a narrow chancel-arch flanked by arched recesses. Probably c. 1220 a narrow S. Aisle was added, and shortly afterwards the chancel was re-built or lengthened and the chancel-arch widened, thus reducing the flanking recesses to half their original width. Early in the 14th century the S. aisle was widened and the arcade partly reconstructed. The South Porch was built in the 15th century and a North Vestry appears to have been added to the chancel at the same time but has been removed. The W. end of the nave was destroyed by fire in 1885 and was re-built, and the church generally restored.
The stone stalls in the chancel are of interest.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30 ft. by 14 ft.) has an E. window, all modern except the splays and two-centred rear-arch which are probably of the 15th century. In the N. wall is a window all modern except the splays and segmental rear-arch which are probably of late 14th or 15th-century date. E. of the window is a 15th-century doorway with a modern rear-arch on the outside face; it has moulded jambs and four-centred arch; further W. is a wall arcade of c. 1230–40 and of five bays with a bench and moulded two-centred arches alternately carried down to the bench and springing from corbels with moulded capitals and short shafts cut back to a point and foliated. Above the arcading is a moulded string-course continued under the window and over the doorway at a later date. In the S. wall are two windows both modern externally and with splays and segmental rear-arches probably of the 14th century; E. of the western window is a doorway, modern externally but with splays and segmental rear-arch, probably of the 14th century; between this doorway and eastern window is a wall arcade similar to that in the N. wall but of four bays, the bench is stepped up in the first bay of the arcade and twice more across the window-recess; above the arcade is a moulded string-course, stopped at the doorway by a crowned head. The chancel-arch of c. 1230–40 is two-centred and of two orders, the outer chamfered and the inner moulded; the jambs are thicker than the arch and have an attached shaft with a moulded base and bell-capital; the moulding of the abacus is carried round the respond.
The Nave (48½ ft. by 18½ ft.) has in the E. wall on each side of the chancel arch half of a moulded two-centred arch, of c. 1200, partly restored; the projection in which these half-arches are set is finished with two courses of modern tabling. In the N. wall are three windows; the two easternmost are modern, but the westernmost is of two trefoiled lights with vertical tracery, partly restored, in a two-centred head, and probably of late 14th-century date. The N. doorway between the two westernmost windows has moulded jambs and a two-centred head with a segmental-pointed rear-arch; it is probably of late 14th-century date, but appears to have been re-set in modern flint-work. The S. arcade is of four bays; the two easternmost probably of the 13th century and the third, including the third column, probably a 14th-century reconstruction of 13th-century work; the two easternmost arches are of clunch and of two chamfered orders, the third arch is of two chamfered orders with larger chamfers; the westernmost arch is modern; the W. respond is modern except for a few 13th-century stones re-set at the base; on the N. side the arches have moulded labels which meet in a foliated stop over the first column and change section at the middle column. The E. respond has an attached semi-octagonal shaft with a moulded capital and double chamfered base; the first and third columns are round and the first has a partly restored capital similar to that of the E. respond; the third column is of the 14th century and has a modern capital; the second column is similar to the first but octagonal. In the W. wall is a window, modern externally but with splays and round rear-arch of c. 1200.
The South Aisle (12½ ft. wide), has in the E. wall a window with modern tracery; the moulded splays have each a small attached shaft with moulded capital of the 14th century. In the S. wall are three windows all modern except for the splays and high segmental-pointed rear-arch, which are probably of early 14th-century date; the 14th-century S. doorway is of two moulded orders with a two-centred arch and a segmental-pointed rear-arch. In the W. wall is a single-light window all modern except the splays and rear-arch which are probably of the 14th century.
The South Porch is of the 15th century and has a moulded plinth and an outer archway with a moulded four-centred arch in a square head with trefoiled spandrels; the jambs have each an attached shaft with moulded capital and base; in each side wall is a window of two four-centred lights under a square head with a moulded label.
Fittings—Brass and Indent. Brass: In S. aisle, on S. wall, of Margaret (Buggx), wife of Thomas Norrington, 1610, with figures of woman and daughter. Indent: In S. aisle for same brass. Chair: (Plate p. 103) In chancel—with panelled back, fluted styles, carved cresting and shaped arms, mid 17th-century. Coffin-lid: (Plate p. 103) In chancel—in N. wall, small tapering slab of Purbeck marble with moulded edge and foliated cross in high relief, 13th-century. Door: In chancel—in N. doorway, of two battens with hollow-chamfered fillets, old oak lock and large key, 15th-century. Glass: In S. aisle—in easternmost and second windows, fragments in tracery, including a saint's head, a censing angel, and tabernacle work, all 14th- and 15th-century. Helm: In chancel—on N. wall, with pointed vizor, crest of dog's head below, probably late 16th-century. Paintings: In nave—on back of recess in E. wall N. of chancel arch, traces of black line and red ornament, probably 13th-century. Piscinae: (1) In chancel—with restored two-centred head, and jambs with attached shafts having moulded capitals and bases, circular drain probably c. 1230–40; (2) in S. aisle—with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, square drain, probably 13th-century. Sedilia: In chancel—in S. wall under easternmost window, seats in continuation of arcading (see under Architectural Description). Stoup: In S. porch, with rough four-centred head and broken basin, late 15th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
c(2). At the site of Imbers, N. of the church.
c(3). In the garden of the Vicarage.
a(4). At the site of Paslowes, 700 yards S.S.W. of the church.
c(5). At Wares, 1,300 yards E.S.E. of the church.
c(6). At Armours, 1 m. N.E. of the church.
c(7). At Mudwall, ½ m. N.N.E. of the church.
a(8). Fouchers, house and moat, 1,100 yards S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 15th century with a central Hall, and Solar and Buttery wings at the W. and E. ends respectively. On the S. front the upper storey projects. Inside the building the central hall, originally open to the roof, has been divided into two storeys. In the E. wing is a moulded oak wall-bracket, and in the W. wing is an octagonal king-post with moulded capital and four-way struts.
The Moat partly surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, good, much restored.
d(9). Great Newarks, house and moat, about 1 m. S.E. of the parish church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and S.; there is a modern addition at the back. Inside the building there is some original panelling.
The Moat is circular.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Many of the buildings have original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(10). Cottage, at Tye Green, ¼ m. N.N.E. of the church.
c(11). Parsonage House, S.E. of (9) was built probably late in the 16th century, and has a gabled cross-wing at the S.W. end. On the front of the wing the upper storey projects.
c(12). Assers, house, 1,200 yards N.N.E. of the church, has a gabled cross-wing at the N. end. On the front of the wing the upper storey projects.
c(13). Pipers, house, 250 yards N.W. of (11).
c(14). Bedfords, house, 150 yards N.E. of (5), was built probably in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and S. On the W. front are three gables. The two original chimney-stacks have remains of octagonal shafts. Inside the building is some original panelling and an original fireplace with a four-centred head and chamfered jambs.
c(15). Gatehouse (Plate p. 128), 1½ m. E. of the church.
b(16). Blue House, house 1 m. S.W. of the church. The original chimney-stack has diagonal pilaster-strips.
a(17). Cottage, at Ash Ground, 1,100 yards W. of the church.