An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 3, North East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
90. TWINSTEAD. (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xii. S.W. (b)xii. S.E.)
Twinstead is a small parish 5 m. N.E. of Halstead.
b(1). Parish Church of St. John the Evangelist was entirely rebuilt in 1860 but retains from the old church the following:—
Fittings—Bell: one, probably by John Bird, early 16th-century. Brasses: In organ-chamber —(1) to Mary, wife of Thomas Wyncoll, 1658, inscription and shield of arms. In nave—on N. wall, (2) of Marie (Gaudy), wife of Isake Wyncoll, 1610, with figures of man, wife and five daughters, figure of son missing. Chair: In chancel—with carved top-rail and turned and twisted posts, c. 1700. Chest: In vestry—hutch-type with panelled front and ends, early 18th-century. Floor-slabs: Outside porch—(1) to Hannah, daughter of Isaac Wyncoll, 1680, with lozenge of arms; (2) to Isaac Wyncoll, 1681; (3) to Thomas Wyncoll, 1675. Weather-vane: Loose in churchyard—copper cock, early 18th-century.
The following monuments are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. They have exposed ceilingbeams.
b(2). The Rectory, W. of the church, is modern except for the S.W. wing.
Condition—Good, much altered.
a(3). Lodge Farm, house, ¾ m. W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W.
a(4). Smith's Farm, house (Plate, p. 177), ¼ m. S.S.E. of (3), has an original chimney-stack with four stunted octagonal shafts. Inside the building is a moulded ceiling-beam and a window of three lights with moulded mullions.
b(5). Sparrow's Farm, house, 1,200 yards E. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E.