An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
77. ST. LAWRENCE (NEWLAND). (G.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lv. S.W. (b)lv. S.E. (c)lxiii. N.W.)
St. Lawrence is a parish on the S. of the Blackwater estuary and 5½ m. N. of Burnham-on-Crouch.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Lawrence was entirely re-built in 1878, but contains from the old church the following:—
Fittings— Piscina: In nave—in N. wall, with moulded jambs and two-centred head, round drain, 14th-century. Plate: includes large pewter flagon with inscription and date 1700.
c(2). Moynes Farm, house and moat, 1¼ m. S. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built c. 1595, the date on a wooden panel inside the house. The room is panelled to half its height and has a moulded ceiling-beam.
The Moat surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
b(3). St. Lawrence Hall, 150 yards S.S.E. of the church, has been re-built except for a gabled cross-wing of the 16th or 17th century. It is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roof is tiled. The upper storey projects at the N. end. Inside the building is an original window with bar-mullions and now blocked.
a(4). West Newlands, house, about 1¼ m. S.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered and partly weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th century, and has an original chimney-stack with three diagonal shafts.
Condition—Good, much altered.