An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
87. STANFORD-LE-HOPE. (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxxvi. S.E. (b)lxxxiv. N.E.)
Stanford-le-Hope is a parish and village on the N. bank of the Thames, 5 m. N.E. of Tilbury. The church and Manor Farm are the principal monuments.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Margaret stands in the middle of the village. The walls are of ragstone-rubble with some flint; the dressings are of limestone; the roofs are covered with tiles and lead. The Nave, with N. and S. aisles, was built c. 1180, and shortly after a N. tower was added. In the 13th century most of the N. arcade was re-built. In the 14th century the Chancel and North and South Aisles were re-built, the S. arcade re-built except the E. bay, and the clearstorey and a S. chapel added. In the 15th century the South Chapel was largely re-built, and the South Porch was added in the 16th century. The church has been restored in modern times, when the North Tower and the upper part of the chancel walls were re-built, the S. porch reconstructed and the West Vestries added.
The church is of some architectural interest, and among the fittings the sedilia are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31¾ ft. by 17 ft.) has an E. window all modern except the re-set 14th-century splays and rear-arch. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern of the 14th century, restored externally, and of one trefoiled ogee light with tracery in a two-centred head; the 15th-century western window is of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label. In the S. wall is an archway of c. 1320, two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the responds have grouped attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; further E. is a window all modern except the 14th-century rear-arch and parts of the jambs, mullion and splays. The 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two continuous hollow-chamfered orders; it incorporates 13th-century material.
The South Chapel (20 ft. by 10¾ ft.) has a 15th-century E. window, partly restored and of two cinque-foiled lights in a flat triangular head with a moulded label. In the S. wall is a 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head; further W. is a blocked 15th-century doorway with a segmental-pointed rear-arch. The 14th-century W. archway is two-centred and of one chamfered order dying on to the walls.
The Nave (55 ft. by 20 ft.) has in the E. wall N. of the chancel-arch the upper doorway from the rood-loft staircase; it is of the 15th century and has a square head; at a rather lower level N. and S. of the arch are two corbels for the former rood-loft. In the N. wall is a modern arch to the tower, incorporating some old stones and a head-stop; further W. is a blocked 12th-century window with a round head and restored splays; the 13th-century N. arcade (Plate, p. 147) is of four bays with two-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders; two of the columns are round and one octagonal with moulded capitals and bases; the responds have attached half-columns, round on the E. and octagonal on the W. At the E. end of the S. wall is one bay of the late 12th-century arcade, with a two-centred arch of one moulded order and moulded imposts; W. of it is a round-headed window of the same date, much restored; the 14th-century S. arcade is of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the columns are octagonal, with moulded capitals and bases; the responds have attached half-columns. The 14th-century clearstorey has three windows on the N. side and five on the S., all are of quatrefoil form and have been extensively restored. The W. wall has an internal set-back marking the extent of the 12th-century work; the W. window and doorway are modern except for the 14th-century splays and rear-arches.
The North Tower (12 ft. square) is modern except for the re-set moulded impost of an arched recess in the E. wall, which is of the 13th century, and the W. archway, which is two-centred and chamfered and has 13th-century moulded imposts; the inner order is modern.
The North Aisle (14¼ ft. wide) has in the N. wall two 14th-century windows, each of two trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label; between them is the 14th-century N. doorway, with moulded jambs and two-centred arch; it is now blocked. In the W. wall is a window all modern except the 14th-century splays and rear-arch; below and to the S. of it is a small square-headed window, originally of the 13th century, but much restored.
The South Aisle (8 ft. wide) has in the S. wall three windows; the two eastern are of c. 1500, and each of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label; the partly restored westernmost window is of the 15th century, and of two trefoiled lights in a square head with a moulded label; E. of it is the 14th-century S. doorway, with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label. In the W. wall is a much-restored window of one trefoiled light; below it are a modern window and doorway.
The South Porch is of the 16th century, much altered and reconstructed; the heads of the E. and W. openings have the mortices of diamond-shaped mullions. The outer entrance is modern.
The Roof of the N. aisle is largely modern, but incorporates a cambered tie-beam, probably of the 17th century; on the S. side are shaped stone corbels. The first floor of the tower has restored beams and wall-plates. The pent roof of the S. aisle has three western bays of the 14th century, with moulded principals and purlin and two bosses carved with a geometric design. The roof of the S. porch incorporates two moulded tie-beams with curved braces, moulded wall-plates and plain rafters and collars.
Fittings—Bracket: In S. chapel—in E. wall, two corbels placed together to form bracket. Brass Indent: See Monument (1). Coffin: In tower—stone coffin with shaped head and fragments of ridged lid, 13th-century. Consecration Cross: In chancel—re-set in N. splay of E. window, incised formy cross in circle. Door: In S. doorway—of nail-studded, ridged battens, 15th or 16th-century, restored. Font: bowl, octofoiled on plan, capitals on under-side with defaced foliage, round stem with eight small shafts and moulded base, Purbeck marble, early 13th-century, top part of bowl restored. Font-cover: of octagonal ogee form with crocketed ribs, 17th or 18th-century, modern finial. Inscription: In nave—on first column of S. arcade, scratched inscription—"William Burnel 1581 curate of Stanford." Locker: In tower—in N. wall, round-headed recess, rebated for door, 13th-century, below it a corbel carved with a crowned head, 14th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. side, (1) wall-recess (Plate, p. 105) with cinque-foiled ogee arch with moulded label, head-stops (one modern) and crocketed gable over, with carved finial, jambs flanked by panelled buttresses terminating in crudely carved finials, 14th-century, E. buttress modern; set in recess, altar-tomb with sides and ends panelled with sub-cusped quatrefoils enclosing blank shields and upright panels with cinque-foiled heads, Purbeck marble slab with moulded edge and indent of brass inscription, in wall at back, indent of kneeling figure and scroll, c. 1500. In S. chapel —in N.E. angle, (2) to Sir Heneage Fetherstone, Bart., 1711, and Mary (Benet), his wife, 1710, large white marble tablet flanked by Ionic columns with pediment and blank shield-of-arms; on S. wall, (3) to Anna Maria (Williamson), wife of Henry Fetherstone, 1689–90, grey and white marble tablet with Ionic side columns and shield-of-arms; (4) to Heneage Fetherstone, 1711, and Frances (Western), his wife, 1746, white marble tablet with fluted Doric pilasters and shield-of-arms. In N. aisle—on E. wall, (5) to Richard Champion, 1599, alabaster and black marble tablet with side pilasters, pediment and achievement-of-arms; on N. wall, (6) to........ Champion, late 16th or early 17th-century, alabaster and marble tablet with Corinthian side columns, broken pediment and shield-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In S. chapel—(1) to Anna Maria Fetherstone, 1689–90, with achievement-of-arms. In S. aisle—(2) to Thomas Aleyn, 1677, rector, with achievement-of-arms. Panelling: In N. aisle, early 17th-century panelling incorporated in chest. Piscinae: In chancel—with moulded jambs, trefoiled head and moulded label with leaf finial, sex-foiled drain, 14th-century. In S. chapel— in S. wall, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, semi-round drain, 14th or 15th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1709 with baluster stem and dated 1710, stand-paten probably of same date. Screen (Plate, pp. 4–5): under W. arch of S. chapel —of seven bays with septfoiled ogee heads, oak-leaf finials and tracery, moulded mullions; embattled head and coved cornice, late 14th or early 15th-century, lower panels modern. Sedilia: In chancel —of three stepped bays, with moulded two-centred arches and labels with head-stops, columns between the bays with moulded capitals and bases, responds with attached half-columns, horizontal label above, returned down the responds, 14th-century. Stoup: In S. aisle—E. of S. doorway, semi-octagonal bowl with moulded under-side, 15th-century. Miscellanea: Against N.E. buttress of chancel, strap-hinge, probably 15th-century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original chimney-stacks.
Condition—Good, unless noted.
b(2). Barn, at the Rectory, S.W. of the church, is of weather-boarded timber-framing with some brick; the roof is partly thatched and partly tiled. It was built early in the 17th century with a S. porch, and late in the same century was extended eastwards. It is divided into seven bays by queen-post trusses with curved braces to the tie-beams.
b(3). House, 100 yards E.N.E. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E. and a staircase in the angle. It was built in the 15th century, the roof over the S. wing heightened possibly in the 17th century, and there are small modern additions at the back. In the N. wall is a blocked two-light window with diamond-shaped mullions. Inside the building some of the original beams are partly exposed. The roof of the N. wing is divided into three bays by cambered tie-beams, one of which retains its king-post with two-way struts and curved braces.
a(4). Hassenbrook Hall, house and garden wall, about ½ m. N. of the church. The House is an early 17th-century brick building of Z-shaped plan with the main front facing the S.E. It was built, according to Morant, in the reign of James I by Cuthbert Fetherstone, but has been considerably altered and partly refaced with modern brickwork. There are three original chimney-stacks and at the E. corner an original window, now blocked, with moulded head, jambs and mullions.
Three brick walls to the garden on the S.E. side of the house are original. In the S.E. wall is a four-centred doorway (Plate, p. 64) with moulded jambs in a square head. It is surmounted by a triangular pediment with a moulded coping and has in the tympanum a circular opening. There is, adjoining the house, a four-centred doorway, and at intervals in the walls are small niches with circular heads.
a(5). House (Plate, p. 57), 150 yards N.E. of (4), is of T-shaped plan, with the cross-wing at the S. end. The cross-wing was built probably late in the 16th century and the N. block added in the following century; on the front is a small modern addition. The main chimney-stack is original and of grouped diagonal shafts on a rectangular base.
a(6). Moore Place, house, about ¾ m. N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics, and was built in the 17th century on a H-shaped plan with N. and S. cross-wings. It has been much altered, and has modern additions on either side of the central block. In the N. wall are two original windows, each of three transomed lights. Inside the building one of the rooms has an open fireplace.
a(7). Potter's Farm, house and barns, about 1¼ m. N.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics, and was built possibly in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N.E. and N.W. It has been much altered, entirely refaced with brick, and has modern additions on the W.
The brick barn to the N.E. of the house has a S.E. porch and a number of loop-holes in the N.W. and S.E. walls. It was built probably in the 17th century and is now a ruin.
The weather-boarded barn to the S.E. of the house is now used as a chapel, and has cambered tie-beams with curved struts supporting the purlins.
a(8). Oak Farm, house and walling, about 1 m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is of brick, and was built early in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards the N.E. and N.W.; it has a small modern addition on the N.; the N.W. wing has been partly refaced with modern brick. The upper part of the main chimney-stack has been re-built. Inside the building is some exposed timber-framing, and there are three battened doors of early 17th-century date. E. of the house is some old brick walling.
b(9). Ivywall Farm, house, 1,100 yards E. of the church, was built in the 15th century on a half H-shaped plan with a central hall and E. and W. cross-wings extending towards the S.; an upper floor has since been inserted in the hall. On the E. wall is a 16th-century chimney-stack with an octagonal shaft. In the S. wall of the hall is a blocked doorway. Inside the building some of the timber construction is exposed, and there are some moulded ceiling-beams. The doorway between the hall and E. wing has a four-centred head, and in the E. wing is a similar blocked doorway. The roof over the hall is divided into two bays by an original king-post truss. The cambered tie-beam is supported on curved braces which form a four-centred arch, and the king-post has four-way struts. The roof over the W. wing is of three bays and of similar construction, but the king-posts have two-way struts to the central purlin.
b(10). Manor Farm (Plate, pp. xxxiv-v), house previously known as Cabborns, ½ m. S.S.E. of the church, is of two storeys, with a cellar under part of the building. It was built in the 15th century, with a central hall and N.E. and S.W. cross-wings, the latter extending towards the S.E. only, and the former on both sides of the hall. Late in the 16th or early in the 17th century a first floor was inserted in the hall, when the roof was raised and the S.E. wall carried up in two gables. Late in the 17th century a N.W. staircase was added and a porch built at the S. end of the hall. The upper storey of the S.W. wing projects on the S.E. The main chimney-stack at the N.E. end of the hall is of late 16th or early 17th-century date, and of five diagonal shafts set on a rectangular base with a moulded capping. Inside the building the hall on the ground-floor is divided into two bays by a heavy ceiling-beam supported on curved brackets. The 'screens' were at the S.W. end of the hall, and in the wall dividing them from the cross-wing are two doorways with two-centred heads, one of which has been partly blocked In the N.W. wing of the hall is a similar doorway, and there are some 17th-century doors, some of battens and some panelled. In the cellar some of the timber-construction is exposed, and the main ceiling-beam is supported on heavy curved brackets. All the roofs are of the king-post type, with cambered tie-beams and curved struts to the king-posts.
At the S.W. corner of the farm buildings is some 16th-century brickwork.