An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
90. STOCK. (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lx. N.E. (b)lx. S.E.)
Stock is a parish and small village about 5 m. S. of Chelmsford. The church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands in the village. The walls are of mixed rubble with some freestone and pudding-stone; the dressings are of limestone; the belfry and porch are timber-framed; the roofs are tiled and the spire shingled. The earliest detail in the church is of the 14th century, but it is probable that the walls of the Nave are of earlier date. In the second half of the 15th century the N. arcade was built and the North Aisle added; at the same date, or perhaps a little earlier, the timber Belfry and South Porch were added. The Chancel was re-built in 1847–8 and the North Vestry added.
The timber belfry is of considerable interest, with its W. doorway, over which are original oak traceried windows.
Architectural Description—The Nave (44 ft. by 22 ft.) has a 15th-century N. arcade of four bays with two-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders; the columns are octagonal and have moulded capitals and hollow-chamfered bases; the E. respond has an attached half-column; the W. bay is about half the width of the others. In the S. wall are three windows, apparently all modern; between the two western is the partly restored S. doorway; it is probably of late 14th-century date, and has jambs and two-centred arch of two orders, the outer moulded and the inner chamfered. In the W. wall is a late 14th-century doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch.
The North Aisle (13¼ ft. wide) has in the E. wall a modern arch; S. of it is a re-set 15th-century doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred arch. In the N. wall are two 15th-century windows, each of two cinque-foiled lights under a square head with a moulded label; further W. is the N. doorway, similar to the S. doorway, but with a moulded label. In the W. wall is a window uniform with those in the N. wall; above it are two 15th-century windows, each of one cinque-foiled light and probably re-set; between them is a grotesque corbel, also re-set.
The Belfry (Plate, p. 156) is of two stages, both weather-boarded; the lower has a surrounding aisle with a pent roof; the upper has a short octagonal spire and a gabled projection on the E. side. The main structure stands on four oak posts with curved braces to each stage. The central square has curved diagonal principals, each with a cusppoint near the base and meeting at a boss in the middle carved with a grotesque face. The N. and S. walls of the aisle have each a 15th-century window of oak and of three trefoiled lights with tracery in a four-centred head. The 15th-century W. doorway (Plate, p. 157) has moulded jambs and two-centred arch in a square head with traceried spandrels; above it is a range of three square lights filled with cusped tracery. At the N.E. angle of the ground-stage is a post with the initials and date R.R., E.H., 1683, probably the date of repairs and of the addition to the E. of the bell-chamber.
The South Porch is timber-framed and of 15th-century date. It has a four-centred outer archway in a square head with panelled spandrels; above it is a moulded cross-beam, and in the gable are five panels, the middle one having a trefoiled head; one of the open lights flanking the archway and those in the side walls are fitted with slender 18th-century balusters. The roof has moulded plates and tie-beams with curved braces and plain king-posts; the foiled barge-boards are much weathered.
The Roof of the N. aisle is of the 15th century and of three bays with king-post trusses; the wall-plates are moulded and embattled and the tie-beams moulded or hollow-chamfered; they support king-posts with hollow-chamfered struts springing from attached buttresses.
Fittings—Bells: three; 3rd by John Diar and Robert Wickes, 1577, bell-frames old. Brass: In nave—on S. wall, of Richard Twedye, 1574, figure of man in armour and achievement-of-arms set in a black marble slab, formerly a small altar-slab, cut down, but with two consecration-crosses at the lower angles. Chairs: In chancel— two with elaborately carved high backs and carved legs, also two stools of same workmanship, possibly late 17th-century. Door: In N. doorway— modern, but having one ornamental hinge and scutcheon-plate with drop-handle, probably 15th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with moulded lower edge, plain stem and base, probably 15th-century. Font-cover: flat, of oak, with middle post having acorn terminal and four shaped supports, probably early 18th-century. Floor-slab: In chancel—to Giles Alin or Aleyn, 1677, with shield-of-arms. Panelling: In tower—late 16th and 17th-century, forming partition to vestry. Seating: In N. aisle—three bench-ends with popey-heads and front standards or buttresses with moulded caps, strings and bases and remains of carved figures on tops, 15th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). Almshouses, four tenements, 140 yards W. of the church, were founded by Richard Twedye in the second half of the 16th century. The present building forms a long rectangular block of red brick one storey high, with a tiled roof, and is of late 17th-century date. It has two original chimney-stacks (Plate, pp. 56–7).
a(3). Cottage, 400 yards N.E. of the church, is of one storey with attics. The walls are of plastered timber-framing and brick; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the 17th century on a rectangular plan and has an original chimney-stack. Inside the building the ceiling-beams are exposed.
b(4). Cottage, on W. side of the road, about ¾ m. S. of the church, is of one storey with attics. The walls are of timber-framing partly plastered and partly weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century with two gabled dormers on the E. front and has an original chimney-stack of two diagonal shafts. Inside the building the ceiling-beams are exposed.
b(5). Mound, about 600 yards S.S.W. of the church, is about 55 ft. in diameter at the base and from 2 ft. to 3 ft. high. It is planted with trees of considerable age and is not surrounded by a ditch.