An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
97. WENNINGTON. (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxxxii. N.E. (b)lxxxiii. N.W.)
Wennington is a small parish 6½ m. E.S.E. of Barking. The church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of SS. Mary and Peter stands in the N. part of the parish. The walls are of mixed rubble, mostly ragstone; the dressings are of limestone; the roofs are tiled. There is a re-set doorway of the 12th century, but the earliest detail in situ is of the first half of the 13th century, when the Chancel, Nave and a S. aisle were built. The North Aisle was added early in the 14th century, and the West Tower late in the same century. The S. aisle was destroyed at some uncertain date and its arcade walled up. The church was restored in the 19th century, when the South Aisle was re-built, the S. arcade opened out, and the Organ Chamber and North Porch added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21½ ft. by 14 ft.) has an E. window, all modern except the splays and rear-arch, which are possibly of early 14th-century date. In the N. wall is an early 13th-century window of one light and modern externally. In the S. wall is a window of a single light and modern except for the 13th or early 14th-century splays and rear-arch; further W. is a modern arch. The 15th-century chancel-arch is four-centred and of two moulded orders; the outer order is continuous, the inner carried on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
The Organ Chamber is modern, but re-set in the E. wall are the head and imposts of a 12th-century doorway; the head is round and has diapered ornament, and the imposts are chamfered; re-set in the same wall are the sill of a window and a 15th-century stone shield with the crossed keys of St. Peter.
The Nave (35 ft. by 18 ft.) has an early 14th-century N. arcade of two bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, carried on an octagonal pier and semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases; the bases to the responds are modern, and that to the pier has been mostly restored. The S. arcade is of mid 13th-century date and of two bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the middle column is circular, the responds semi-octagonal, all with moulded capitals and bases, but the capital to the W. respond is modern. In the W. wall, now opening into the W. tower, is an early 13th-century lancet-window rebated on the outside for a shutter. Below it is a late 14th-century doorway from the tower with moulded jambs and four-centred head.
The North Aisle (11¼ ft. wide) has three windows, all completely re-built, and a N. doorway all modern except the inner splays and rear-arch.
The West Tower (12 ft. square) is of late 14th-century date and of three stages with an embattled parapet. In the S. wall is a late 15th or early 16th-century doorway with rebated and hollow-chamfered jambs and four-centred arch. The W. window is of one trefoiled light. The second stage has in the N., S. and W. walls a window of one square-headed light. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window similar to the W. window.
The Roof of the chancel is of the 14th or 15th century, with a central king-post truss and chamfered wall-plates. The roof of the nave is in three bays with chamfered wall-plates and king-post trusses with cambered tie-beams, two-way struts to the king-posts and central purlin.
Fittings—Bells: one by Anthony Bartlet, 1662; bell-frame, 17th-century. Brass Indents: In S. aisle—(1) tapering slab with marginal inscription in single capitals, to THOMAS ATTNOK (or Atenok), much defaced, early 14th-century. Under altar-table—(2) of woman, two shields and inscription-plate over. Chairs: In chancel —two with carved backs, turned legs and rails, late 17th-century. Chest (Plate, p. xliii): In N. aisle—of hutch-type with broad stiles terminating at base in feet of roughly ogee shape; side rails to lid chamfered with original slots for pin-hinges, now replaced by two wrought-iron strap-hinges, 13th-century, part of lid later. Doors: In N. doorway—divided into panels by moulded fillets, with strap-hinges, early 16th-century. In tower—in E. doorway, of overlapping battens, with strap-hinges, 16th-century. Font: octagonal bowl of Purbeck marble, plain octagonal stem and hollow chamfered base, 13th-century. Font-cover (Plate, p. 104): of oak, octagonal, with moulded edge and strap-work cresting, middle post with curved supports, first half of the 17th century. Hour-glass stand (Plate, p. 104): In nave—on N.E. respond, of wrought-iron with ornamental foliations, 17th-century. Monument: In N. aisle—on S. wall, of Henry Bust, parson of the parish, 1624, Margaret (Bardolphe), his wife, and Henry, their son, 1625, alabaster tablet with kneeling figure of man at prayer-desk and son, one shield-of-arms. Piscinae: In chancel—with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, semi-circular drain, 13th-century. In N. aisle—in S. wall, with trefoiled ogee head, broken drain, 14th - century. Pulpit (Plate, p. 4): of oak, hexagonal, with arabesque pilasters at angles and arabesque arched panel with jewel impost and base blocks in each face, and panel with similar carving above and below, early 17th-century. Seating: In N. aisle—bench with carved popey-heads. In tower—one bench-end and two desk-ends with variously carved popey-heads, 15th or early 16th-century. Staircase: In two upper stages of tower—of oak with solid treads, probably 15th-century.
a(2). House, 460 yards W.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are thatched. It was built probably early in the 17th century, and has an 18th-century extension on the W. Inside the building the original ceiling-beams are exposed.
b(3). Noak House, now tenements, 800 yards S.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century, and has cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams.