An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
53 PENCOYD (D.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. XL, S.E.)
Pencoyd is a small parish 6 m. W.N.W. of Ross.
(1). Parish Church of St. Dennis stands on the S. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The Nave and West Tower were built c. 1330. The church was restored in 1877–8 when the Chancel was re-built; the North Porch is also modern.
Architectural Description—The Nave (40¾ ft. by 16 ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows, the eastern of the 14th century, much restored and of one ogee-headed light; the western window is modern except for a few stones; the N. doorway is modern. In the S. wall are three 14th-century windows, the easternmost of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head; the other two windows are each of a single ogee-headed light.
The West Tower (5½ ft. square) is of the 14th century and of three stages, undivided externally, and has a plain projecting parapet. The ground stage has a doorway in the E. wall with chamfered jambs and two-centred head; in the W. wall is a square-headed window. The second stage has a doorway, apparently modern, in the E. wall, and a square-headed loop in the W. wall. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of one ogee-headed light.
The Roof of the nave is perhaps of the 14th century and has braced collar-beams and wall-posts and one tie-beam.
Fittings—Bells: inaccessible. Churchyard Cross: square base with chamfered upper angles, square socket for shaft, and square step, mediæval. Coffin-lid: In nave—re-used as lintel of S.W. window, with crosses in circles and fleur-de-lis ends, 13th-century. Font: plain cylindrical bowl and stem, 12th or 13th-century, retooled, base modern. Monument: In churchyard—S. of church, to Ambrose Pile, 1687, table-tomb. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1636, with the same date on handle of paten.
Condition—Good, much restored.
(2). Old Manor House, now two tenements, 100 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century on an H-shaped plan, with the cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. At the S. end of the E. wing are some original windows, of two or three lights with moulded labels; in the gable is a moulded panel inscribed "TH. An. Dn. 1671," probably the date of some repair.
(3). Netherton Farm, house and barn, 700 yards E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with basement and attics; the walls are of timber-framing and rubble, and the roofs are covered with slates. It is of E-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. The main block and the W. wing were built late in the 16th century, but include a mediæval crutchtruss in the E. wall of the main block. The E. wing was added at two dates early in the 17th century, and the upper part of the W. wing is of the same century. The S. front has an early 17th-century two-storeyed porch with pargetting on the side walls consisting of vases of flowers in medallions and a geometrical design at the angles; the doorway has moulded jambs and square head. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams with moulded beams in the main block; at the E. end of the same block is a 16th-century roof-truss.
The Barn, S.E. of the house, is of c. 1600 and of timber-framing on a rubble base. The roof is of queen-post type.