An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
32 HAYWOOD (D.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIX, N.E., (b)XXXIX, S.E.)
Haywood is a small parish, 3 m. S.W. of Hereford.
b(1). Haywood, house and outbuildings, in the S. part of the parish. The House is of two storeys, the walls are mainly of stone and the roofs are covered with slates. It was built probably in the 17th century and was originally timber-framed, but was partly stonecased and added to in the 18th century. On the W. side is a late 17th or early 18th-century window of three transomed lights. The walls of the malt-house, projecting to the E., have been faced with brick. Inside the building some of the ceiling-beams are exposed.
The Stable, W. of the house, is of early 18th-century date and of two storeys with attics; the walls are of stone and the ceiling-beams are exposed. Between it and the house is a garden-wall with two early 18th-century gate piers, finished with entablatures and ballterminals. The Pigeon-house, S.W. of the house, is a square building of brick of c. 1690, with a pyramidal roof and a wooden lantern or cote. A few feet below the eaves is a moulded string-course. The brick wall surrounding the orchard is also of 17th-century date.
Condition—Of house, good.
a(2). Cottage, at the foot of the E. slope of Merry Hill and 1½ m. N.N.E. of (1), is of two storeys, timber-framed with brick filling; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and has been partly refaced with brick. Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams and joists.
a(3). Cottage, E. of Merry Hill Cottages and 750 yards N.N.W. of (2), is of two storeys, partly of stone and partly of timber-framing with brick filling; the roofs are covered with slates. It was built in the 17th century and has exposed ceiling-beams.