An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
55 PETERSTOW (E.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. LI, N.W.)
Peterstow is a parish 3 m. W. of Ross. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Peter stands towards the N. end of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are tiled. The eastern two-thirds of the N. wall of the Nave stand on a base of megalithic blocks with a quoin at the W. end; this walling is certainly earlier than the early 12th-century window above the quoin, and may thus be assigned to the late pre-conquest period; the wall, W. of this point, is not in the same alignment, indicating that the early nave was shorter and probably narrower than the existing building. The rest of the nave was re-built and lengthened early in the 12th century. The Chancel was re-built and the chancel-arch widened c. 1330. In the 15th century a small Tower or bell-turret was added to the W. of the nave. The church was restored in the 19th century, and the North Vestry, South-Porch, and the upper part of the bell-turret are modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26½ ft. by 18½ ft.) has an E. window of c. 1330, and of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil above. In the N. wall is a window of the same date and of one trefoiled ogee light; farther W. are a modern doorway and opening. In the S. wall are two windows uniform with that in the N. wall; between them is a doorway of c. 1330, now blocked and with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The 13th-century chancel-arch was re-built and widened in the 14th century, and has modern repairs; the arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders with moulded labels; the 13th-century half-round responds have later moulded capitals carved with crude foliage.
The Nave (42½ ft. by 20 ft.) has in the N. wall three windows uniform with that in the N. wall of the chancel, but the two westernmost are modern; between these two windows is a 12th-century window of one round-headed light; in the N.E. angle is a modern doorway. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost modern except for part of the W. splay; the middle window is a 13th-century lancet-light; the westernmost window is modern; the 13th or 14th-century S. doorway perhaps incorporates earlier material and has chamfered jambs and two-centred arch. In the W. wall is a blocked square-headed opening, formerly communicating with the bell-turret.
The Bell-turret is probably of the 15th century and has a moulded plinth. The upper part with the spire is said to be modern.
The Roof of the nave is of the 14th century and has scissor-trusses.
Fittings—Bells: inaccessible. Brass: In chancel— on N. wall, to Susan, wife of Thomas Rosse, rector, 1692, also to Thomas Rosse, 1712–13, inscription only. Churchyard Cross: S.W. of church, much worn square base with part of shaft with stop-chamfered angles, mediæval. Coffin-lids: Re-set in S. wall of nave, fragment with cross having foliated ends, late 13th-century. In churchyard—N. of chancel, small, with cross of curious form, in low relief, and rosette at side, early 14th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with chamfered lower edge, plain stem and chamfered base, 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In churchyard—S. of nave, (1) to James Cope and Edward his son, both 1704–5, headstone; S. of porch, (2) to Philip Davies, 1701, headstone; (3) to Ann Davis, 1688, headstone; (4) to Mary, wife of Thomas Davis, 1684, headstone; (5) to Thomas Davis, 1690, headstone. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Sir Giles Brydges, Bart., 1637; (2) to Sir John Brydges, Bart., 1651–2, and Grace, wife of Giles Brydges, 1695–6. Piscina: In chancel—recess with chamfered jambs, trefoiled head and moulded label, early 14th-century, drain modern. Plate: includes late 16th-century cup and cover-paten with bands of engraved ornament and a stand-paten of 1713 (?) with engraved star and band of ornament. Pulpit: (Plate 58) four sides, each panelled in two heights, upper panels arcaded and dentilled, c. 1620, shelf and base modern. Miscellanea: In nave—re-set in N. wall, head-stop of label, probably 13th-century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with roofs of tile or slate. Some of the buildings have old chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). High Town, house and stable, ¼ m. S.W. of the church. The House has walls partly of rubble and partly timber-framed. The main block is of the 16th century, incorporating earlier material; the N.W. wing was added early in the 17th century, and at the E. end is a late 17th-century addition. Some of the timber-framing is exposed and a door to the cellar has a moulded segmental head. There are several 17th-century windows. Inside the building, the roof has trusses with king and queen-posts.
The Stable, N.W. of the house, is of rubble with an iron roof.
Condition—Of house, bad.
(3). Cottage, 100 yards N. of (2), is partly of rubble. Some of the timber-framing is exposed.
(4). Cottage, 100 yards E. of (3), has a thatched roof and exposed timber-framing.
(5). Cottage, S. of High Town Farm and 500 yards S.S.W. of the church, has some exposed timber-framing.
(6). Lower Hendre, house, about 1¼ m. S.W. of the church, has stone walls. The E. cross-wing and a wing on the N.W. were added late in the 17th century.
(7). Little Peterstow (Plate 21), house, about 1¼ m. W.S.W. of the church, is of mediæval origin and has an early 16th-century wing at the E. end. The original block is a ruin. The E. wing has close-set timber-framing; the upper storey projects at the S. end on curved brackets. Inside the building there is a mediæval crutch-truss in the original block. The E. wing has king and queen-posts.
Condition—Bad, partly ruinous.
(8). Red Lion Inn, about ½ m. W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards the S. and E. and with modern additions.