An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1, South west. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1931.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
61 SELLACK (E.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLVI, S.W., (b)XLVI, S.E.)
Sellack is a parish on the right bank of the Wye, 3 m. N.W. of Ross. The church and Caradoc are the principal monuments.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Tesiliog (Plate 197), stands near the right bank of the Wye, about the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble and ashlar; the roofs are covered with slates. The Chancel and Nave were built early in the 12th century, with a N. aisle, of which the W. bay of the arcade remains. Early in the 13th century a N. chapel was added. In the 14th century the North Aisle and Chapel were re-built and the West Tower and South Porch added. Early in the 17th century the ground stage of the tower was divided and an external staircase built against the N. wall. Early in the 19th century the large North Transept was added on the site of part of the aisle and the arch opening into it re-built; this arch was subsequently replaced by the existing arcade. The North Vestry is also modern.
Among the fittings the glass in the E. window is noteworthy; it was subsequently copied in the E. window at Foy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21 ft. by 15½ ft.) has a late 14th-century E. window of four trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall is an early 13th-century arch, two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the responds have attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; farther E. is a modern doorway. In the S. wall are two windows, both of late 14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head; between them is a doorway, probably of the 14th century, with chamfered jambs and square head; farther E. is a blocked opening with square jambs and head.
The North Chapel (12 ft. square) has a 14th-century stone vault, with moulded diagonal and wall-ribs, springing from moulded corbels in the angles. In the E. wall is a window uniform with the S. windows in the chancel. In the N. wall is a re-set 14th-century window of two cinque-foiled and one trefoiled light in a two-centred head. In the W. wall is a modern archway.
The Nave (37¾ ft. by 15¾ ft.) is structurally undivided from the chancel. In the N. wall is a modern arcade of two bays, and farther W. is a 12th-century bay with a round arch of two plain orders; it springs from a column and a half column as respond, with scalloped capitals and moulded bases. In the S. wall are four windows, the easternmost of late 14th-century date and of three cinque-foiled lights in a two-centred head, contained in a gable above the general eaves-level; below the sill is the blocked opening of an earlier window; the second window is uniform with the S. windows in the chancel; the two westernmost windows, one above the other, are modern except for the splays of the lower window which are, perhaps, of the 14th century; the late 14th-century S. doorway has jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders.
The North Aisle (12 ft. wide) has been destroyed except for the W. bay. In the N. wall is a blocked 14th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights in a two-centred head. In the W. wall is a window uniform with the N. window of the N. chapel but restored internally.
The West Tower (7¼ ft. square) was built c. 1360–70, and is of three stages, undivided externally and surmounted by a spire. The ground-stage has a spreading plinth, and in the E. wall a doorway with jambs and segmental-pointed arch of two chamfered orders. In the S. wall is a square-headed window. The 17th-century doorway to the inserted upper floor of this stage has a segmental-pointed head; there is a second doorway, in the E. wall, communicating with the gallery in the nave. The second stage has a blocked doorway in the E. wall and a square-headed window in the W. wall. The bell-chamber has squinch-arches across the angles, to support the octagonal stone spire; they are covered externally by broaches. The lofty spire has roll-moulded angles, and at the base of each cardinal face is a window of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head and set in a gable.
The South Porch is of late 14th-century date and has a two-centred outer archway with jambs and head of two moulded orders and a moulded label; the gable has an old cross. The side walls have each a window similar to the S. windows in the chancel. The roof is of collar-beam type.
Fittings—Brackets: In N. chapel—on E. wall, twosemi-octagonal and moulded, 15th-century. Chest: (Plate 28) In vestry—with square framing on front and ends, panelled lid, probably mediæval. Churchyard Cross: S. of nave, square base with rounded top corners, moulded plinth and pointed recess in W. face, octagonal steps, modern shaft with old moulded capping, early 15th-century, cross-head probably later. Coffin-lid: In churchyard—by S. porch, fragment with part of incised head of cross, 13th-century. Communion Rails: with plain balusters, moulded rails and turned posts with moulded terminals, 17th-century with modern work. Doors: In chancel—in S. doorway, nail-studded and with strap-hinges, 17th-century. In nave—in S. doorway, nail-studded and with strap-hinges, moulded lock-piece, 17th-century. In tower— in second stage, battened door, date uncertain. Gallery: (Plate 7) In nave—at W. end, on two posts with attached moulded and diminishing pilasters, segmental-pointed arches with pendant key-blocks and moulded cornice, early to mid 17th-century, with modern work. Glass: In E. window (Plate 94)—collection of 15th, 16th and 17th-century glass, put together c. 1630, and repaired in recent years; in tracery a Crucifixion with the Virgin and St. John, 17th-century with some earlier work, ornamental borders, etc., in heads of lights, late 14th or 15th-century oak-foliage, probably in situ; in lower part of lights, figures of the Virgin and Child, three Magi, St. Joseph, St. Mary Magdalene, and a stable with ass and cow, also figure of St. Katherine, 16th and 17th-century; at base the date 1630 and the monogram R.S. (Richard Scudamore ?), figures all under canopies. In E. window of N. chapel —border and head of Christ, late 14th-century; in N. window, ornamental borders, 14th-century. In S.E. window in nave—panel with part of a Trinity and a mutilated inscription in 'black-letter,' 15th-century; in second window—border, etc. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) to Helip Fox, A.M., rector of St. Peter, Hereford, 1678, painted stone tablet with twisted Ionic side-columns entablature, broken pediment and cartouche-of-arms. In N. aisle—on N. wall, (2) to Sir William Powell, alias Huison, Bart., 1680, white marble wall-monument (Plate 162), with panelled and enriched base with cartouche-of-arms, superstructure with inscribed cartouche, swags and two cherubs holding back draped canopy over urn. In churchyard—S. of chancel, (3) to Martha, 1704, and Tabitha, wives of William Drew, headstone; S.E. of porch, (4) to Gilbert Jones, 1710–11, headstone; S.W. of porch, (5) to Richard Pen, 1707, and Margaret, his wife, 1690, headstone, (6) to Richard Philpotts, 1711, headstone. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to Katherine, wife of Richard Phelps, 1656, and Joane, wife of William Phelps, 1694; (2) to Richard Phelps, 1663–4, and William, his son, 1705. Niche: over S. doorway of nave—with cinque-foiled head and projecting sill, 14th-century. Panelling: In chancel—round E. end to height of about 4 ft. and re-used in reading-desk, 17th-century panelling. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1614, large flagon and stand-paten of 1674, given by I.S. and a large stand-paten of about the same date. Pulpit: hexagonal, with panelled sides in three heights, two lower with conventional foliage-pattern and top panels with enriched arches, sounding-board on panelled and enriched standard, octagonal with radiating ribs and carved boss on soffit, c. 1630, much repaired and partly reconstructed. Recesses: In chancel—in E. wall, three with chamfered reveals, much re-cut. In N. chapel—in E. wall, shallow with moulded jambs and square head, 15th-century, sill modern. Stoup: In S. porch—bowl on shaft, badly worn and broken, 14th or 15th-century. Sundial: on S. wall of tower—rectangular slab, with incised dial, gnomon and inscription SB.V., 1711, said to be modern copy.
a(2). Caradoc (Plate 198), house, outbuilding and barn, 700 yards W.S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are partly of rubble and ashlar and partly of timber-framing; the roofs are tiled. The middle part of the house on the N. side is a timber-framed building of mid to late 16th-century date and of L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards the E. and N. and occupying part of what is now the hall. About 1620–30 the existing W. range was added and the two ranges built to the S.E. and E. of the earlier building and forming, with it, a courtyard open on the N. side. The E. or kitchen range is of three storeys; modern alterations include the southward extension of the hall, the insertion of the staircase and other features in the W. wing and the addition of the block to the E. of the kitchen-wing.
Though much altered the house is still an interesting example of 16th and 17th-century work, and the painted wall-decoration in the attics is noteworthy.
The S. front is of stone and of the 17th century, much altered; it has three projecting bays with modern gables; the two western have modern bay-windows in addition; between these bays the wall and porch are modern, but there are two re-set 17th-century windows of four transomed and square-headed lights; there are windows of the same date and character in the two gables. In the rest of the front are some similar windows and a blocked archway with a four-centred head, formerly leading into the courtyard. The W. front has modern gables, parapet and projecting central bay; the windows in the main wall are of the 17th century and similar to those on the S. front. The N. front of the W. wing is of stone and has a bay-window of two storeys with canted sides; the face has six transomed lights on the ground floor and four transomed lights on the first floor; the gable above is modern. The N. front of the original block has exposed and close-set timber-framing with two gables on the flank of the main block and one to the projecting N. wing; the upper storey and gable of this wing project on curved brackets with modern bressummers. The return wall of this block, facing the courtyard, is of similar character and has two gables, one containing an original window of four transomed lights with moulded frame and mullions; the staircase in the S.W. angle projects over the courtyard on a moulded bressummer. The S. side of the courtyard is of stone and of the 17th century; it has an entrance archway with step-moulded jambs and four-centred arch; there are two windows similar to those on the N. and W. fronts. The kitchen-wing has a much altered top-storey and in the end one window partly of the 17th century. The courtyard is now enclosed to form a conservatory.
Interior—The billiard-room, N. of the hall, is lined with mid 17th-century panelling, and the fireplace has a moulded surround of c. 1700. The porch in the courtyard is lined with similar panelling. There is some exposed timber-framing in the adjoining corridor and some exposed ceiling-beams in the dining-room. On the first-floor, a room in the W. wing is lined with mid 17th-century panelling and the main staircase incorporates an old newel with a shaped head. On the second floor, the old S. wing has some exposed timber-framing and a queen-post roof-truss. In the W. wing are two 17th-century fireplaces with stop-chamfered jambs and square heads; the room at the N. end retains much 17th-century painted decoration on plaster panels (Plate 32) between the main rooftimbers; the lower panels have scrolled conventional foliage and flowers with some birds, in black line with some red and blue colour; the upper panels have landscapes which appear to have been much retouched.
The Outbuilding, S.W. of the house, was built c. 1630, and is of two storeys with stone walls. On the N. side is a porch with an elliptical-headed archway and a square moulded label; the inner archway also has an elliptical head. There are several original square-headed and mullioned windows with moulded labels.
The Barn, W. of the house, is of rubble with ranges of loop-lights. On the S. gable is the date 1634. A two-storeyed extension on the N. has the date 1665 on the N. gable.
a(3). Lough Pool Inn, about ¾ m. S.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed with some stonework and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and has modern additions at each end. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and the roof is of queen-post type.
a(4). Cottage, about 100 yards S.E. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are covered with corrugated iron. It was built in the 17th century and has exposed timber-framing and ceiling-beams.
b(5). Backney Cottage, 1¼ m. E. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are thatched. It was built in the 17th century and has exposed timber-framing and ceiling-beams.