An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
89 WESTON BEGGARD (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIV, N.E., (b)XXXIV, S.E.)
Weston Beggard is a small parish 4 m. E. of Hereford. The church, with its elaborate 14th-century tomb-recess, and Hill End Farm are the principal monuments.
b(1). Parish Church of St. John the Baptist (Plate 7) stands in the S.E. part of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with ashlar and dressings of the same material; the roofs are tiled. The chancel-arch and the S. doorway of the Nave date from c. 1200. The Chancel was largely re-built and probably lengthened and the South Porch added early in the 14th century; later in the same century the West Tower was added. The church was restored in 1881 when the S. wall of the nave was re-built; the chancel has been recently repaired.
The church is of no great architectural interest, but among the fittings the 14th-century tomb-recess is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (27½ ft. by 12¼ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall are two early 14th-century windows, the eastern of two and the western of one trefoiled ogee lights. In the S. wall are two modern windows. The chancel-arch, of c. 1200, is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting on corbels; the N. corbel has a scalloped capital, without necking to the shaft, and a scalloped bracket; the S. corbel is of the same date but has a moulded abacus with leaf-ornament beneath.
The Nave has, in the N. wall, two windows, the eastern of the 14th century and of two trefoiled lights and the western modern; between them is a blocked doorway with a segmental head, of uncertain date. In the modern S. wall are two modern windows and a partly restored doorway, of c. 1200, with jambs and round arch of two orders, the inner roll-moulded and the outer chamfered and with a chamfered label terminating in carved stops.
The West Tower (10½ ft. square) is of mid 14th-century date, ashlar-faced, and of three stages (Plate 7), undivided externally, but with a moulded plinth and plain parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is of three continuous chamfered orders. In the W. wall of the ground-stage is a window of two trefoiled lights, with a rear-arch of two recessed orders. The second stage has, in the W. wall, a window of one square-headed light. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights in a rounded head. On the S. face of the parapet is a carved gargoyle.
The South Porch is of early 14th-century date, much restored and with the gable re-built. The two-centred outer archway is of two continuous orders, the inner moulded and the outer chamfered and with a moulded label.
The Roof of the nave is probably mediæval and is of trussed-rafter type with scissor-braces.
Fittings—Brackets: In chancel—on E. wall, two shaped corbels, mediæval. Chair: In chancel—with turned front legs, shaped stretcher, panelled back, partly modern, early to mid 17th-century. Churchyard Cross: S.E. of chancel—square to octagonal base with round-headed niche in W. face, shaft cut down to surface of base, three stone steps, mediæval, small sundial, dated 1649, set on top. Coffin-lids: In nave— in sill of N.E. window, portion only with part of round head of cross, late 13th-century. In tower— re-used in recess in S. wall, fragments, one with part of inscription, early 14th-century. In churchyard—S.W. of nave, with raised cross, late 13th-century. Locker: In chancel—in N. wall, rectangular with rebated reveals and iron hooks for door, mediæval, head modern. Monuments: In chancel — in N. wall, (1) tomb-recess with moulded jambs and two-centred arch enriched with ball-flower ornament, moulded label with head-stops, early 14th-century; in S. wall, (2) tomb-recess (Plate 188) with moulded jambs, cinque-foiled and sub-cusped arch with spandrels carved with foliage and blank shields, pinnacles at sides with mutilated tops and crocketed gable with carved finial and tympanum filled with carved foliage and a blank shield, early 14th-century. Piscina: In chancel— recess with chamfered jambs and ogee head sex-foiled drain, 14th-century. Recesses: In nave—in N. wall, with plain jambs and chamfered two-centred arch, probably 14th-century. In tower—in S. wall, small with shouldered head, late 14th-century made up of earlier materials. Sundial: On S. wall of chancel— scratched dial. See also Churchyard Cross. Miscellanea: On tower, incorporated in top stage of N.E. buttress, stone with formy cross, 13th-century. On S. wall of porch, stone fragment with conventional leaf-ornament, probably 13th-century.
a(2). Homestead Moat, at Shucknall Court, ¾ m. N. of the church, is now reduced to a fragment at the S.W. angle of the former enclosure.
b(3). Hill End Farm, house and outbuilding, 600 yards W.N.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys partly with attics; the walls are of rubble and timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. The stonebuilt S. block of the house dates from early in the 17th century. To the N. is a timber-framed wing added shortly afterwards. Late in the 17th or early in the 18th century a long outbuilding was added N.W. of the house, and subsequently connected with it. The stone-built block has a series of original windows of three and four lights with stone mullions and transom. In the S. gable is a window of three lights with a moulded label. The projecting staircase-wing on the S. side has two-light windows and a single-light window in the N. wall. The main chimney-stack has three brick shafts set diagonally. Inside the building are some exposed chamfered ceiling-beams. The room on the first floor of the stone block has moulded ceiling-beams.
The Outbuilding is partly of stone and partly timber-framed. The upper storey has framed trusses with curved braces springing from the floor.
b(4). Pigeon House Farm, house and pigeon-house, ½ m. N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars; the walls are of brick, timber-framing and stone, and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century but was re-fronted in brick early in the 18th century. There are modern alterations and additions on the N. The S. front is entirely of the 18th century. Inside the building are some original moulded and chamfered ceiling-beams. The S.E. room is lined with 18th-century panelling.
The Pigeon-house, S.E. of the house, is an early 18th-century building of brick and of octagonal plan with a pyramidal roof and timber lantern.
b(5). Church House Farm, house, 25 yards N. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. The E. wing was built late in the 17th century, but the rest of the structure is of 18th-century date. The timber-framing is exposed and inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams.
b(6). Church House, cottage, 65 yards S. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled roofs. It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and has exposed external framing and internal ceiling-beams.
a(7). Cottage, opposite Moorend Farm, nearly ¾ m. N.N.W. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are covered with corrugated iron. It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and has exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.