Brockhampton by Bromyard

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


'Brockhampton by Bromyard', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East( London, 1932), British History Online [accessed 16 July 2024].

'Brockhampton by Bromyard', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East( London, 1932), British History Online, accessed July 16, 2024,

"Brockhampton by Bromyard". An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. (London, 1932), , British History Online. Web. 16 July 2024.

In this section

14 BROCKHAMPTON by Bromyard (D.b.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXI, N.W., (b)XXI, N.E.)

Brockhampton by Bromyard is a parish 2 m. E.N.E. of Bromyard. The ruined chapel and the 14th-century house of Lower Brockhampton form an interesting group.


b(1). Chapel (dedication unknown) at Lower Brockhampton (Plate 6) near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble and much tufa, with dressings of the same materials. The Chancel and Nave, without structural division, date from the 12th century. The building has probably been disused since the building of a new chapel in 1790 in Brockhampton Park. The old chapel is now roofless and ruined.

The Church, Plan

Architectural Description—The Chancel and Nave (47¾ ft. by 15 ft.) are structurally undivided. In the E. wall is a late 14th or early 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head; part of the tracery has fallen. In the N. wall is a 13th-century lancet window. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost a 13th-century lancet-light, the second a 12th-century single-light window altered to a lancet-light in the 13th century, and the westernmost the remains only of a two-light window; the 13th-century S. doorway has chamfered jambs and two-centred arch; the splays and rear-arch are of the 12th century. In the W. wall are parts of the splays and sill of a two-light 15th-century window.

Fittings—Font: octagonal bowl, lower part cut back, 13th or 14th-century. Piscina: lying loose, slab with round drain, mediæval. Plate: In modern chapel, includes cup of 1672 with shield-of-arms, cover-paten, presumably of same date, and 17th-century salver or stand-paten, with the initials R. and S.B. Stoup: lying loose, tufa bowl with rounded outer end to basin, mediæval. Miscellanea: numerous worked stones, portions of window-tracery, etc., lying loose in church.



b(2). Lower Brockhampton (Plate 81), house, gatehouse and moat, S.E. of the old chapel. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed, with some rubble; the roofs are covered with tiles and slates. It was built late in the 14th or early in the 15th century on an H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. The W. cross-wing has been destroyed, but the foundations are said to remain. Late in the 16th or early in the 17th century a wing was added in the N.W. angle of the building, and late in the 17th century the E. cross-wing was extended N., and the porch added to the Hall.

The house has an interesting example of a mediæval open hall and the timber gate-house is remarkable.

The exterior has exposed timber-framing, partly close-set and partly in large square panels. The S. gable of the cross-wing has carved barge-boards and foiled timber-framing in the head of the gable. Inside the building the Hall (Plate 39) is of two main bays with a screen-bay at the E. end; the roof-truss between the main bays has a cambered collar with curved braces, forming a two-centred arch, and springing from attached shafts on the main posts, with moulded and embattled capitals; above the collar are raking struts cut to form a quatrefoil with the principal rafters; each bay has a subsidiary truss of lighter construction and with the collar set at a higher level; over the screen is a truss with side-posts carried down to form speres, and tied to the sidewalls by cross-beams at door-head level; this truss has been altered, and is now fitted with a modern partition and gallery; below the lower purlins of the roof are foiled wind-braces. The S. room in the cross-wing has a 16th-century fireplace with moulded brick jambs and moulded oak lintel; the ceiling retains some early 17th-century moulded plaster-work, and the N. wall is lined with panelling of the same date. Near the middle of the wing the lower ends of the curved braces of a roof-truss are visible, perhaps of mediæval date. Much of the internal timber-framing is exposed.

The Gatehouse stands on the line of the S.W. arm of the moat, S.W. of the house. It is a square timber-framed structure of two storeys, dating from the latter part of the 15th century. The timber-framing is exposed both inside and out, and the upper storey projects on curved brackets springing from the moulded heads of the angle-posts. The gables have barge-boards carved with running foliage, much weathered. The N. and S. walls have open archways with hollow-chamfered jambs and four-centred heads; a similar arch within the gatehouse is fitted with a door having cross-battens, strap-hinges and a wicket. The staircase, in the E. side of the building, has a moulded grip-handrail and flat shaped and pierced balusters of early 17th-century date and forming a balustrade at the top. The roof (Plate 39) has a central tie-beam with curved braces, queen-posts set diagonally and a collar.

Lower Brockhampton House, by Bromyard

The Moat surrounds the house, but has been filled in on part of the S.W. side. To the E. is a small island surrounded by a ditch, and partly by a bank beyond it. Farther E. is a small dam across the line of a stream.


b(3). Home House Farm (Plate 26), house, nearly ¾ m. E. of the old chapel, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of rubble and timber-framing, and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century, and the S. porch was added shortly after. The upper storey of this porch projects on a moulded bressummer and has exposed timber-framing. The inner doorway has a chamfered head and a 17th-century door with moulded ribs and strap-hinges. The chimney-stack has three diagonal shafts. Inside the building the ceiling-beams and framing are exposed.


b(4). Upper Brockhall, house, ¼ m. S.E. of (3), is of two storeys; the walls are of stone, and the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 17th century, and extended W. early in the 18th century. Some ceiling-beams and framing are exposed inside the building.


b(5). The Oaks, house, 350 yards S. of (4), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and timber-framing, and the roofs are slate-covered. The middle part was built early in the 17th century, with late 17th and early 18th-century additions or rebuildings to the N. and S. The S. extension has exposed framing, and there are exposed ceiling-beams within the building.

Condition—Fairly good.

a(6). Cottage, on the edge of the parish, 1,600 yards W.N.W. of the old chapel, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with a tiled roof. It was built late in the 17th-century and has exposed framing and ceiling-beams.


b(7) Lower Norton Farm, house, 1,100 yards N.N.W. of the ruined chapel, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. The house is of 16th-century origin but has been largely re-built; on the N. are two 17th-century additions with exposed framing. Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Fairly good.