An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
21 CODDINGTON (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXV, N.E., (b)XXXVI, N.W.)
Coddington is a small parish 3 m. N. of Ledbury. The church is the principal monument.
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands on the W. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with tiles. A church was consecrated here by Bishop Gilbert Foliot (1148–63), but the building was largely reconstructed early in the 13th century, three altars being dedicated by Bishop Hugh Foliot in 1231, to St. Peter, St. Mary, and St. Milburga; the Chancel was extended at this period; the western part of the Nave following immediately after; much 12th-century material was re-used. The church was drastically restored in 1865–6, when the E. part of the nave was re-built and the Vestry, South Porch and West Tower were added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23¼ ft. by 13¼ ft.) has a plinth to the eastern half only. In the E. wall are two early 13th-century lancet-windows. In the N. wall is a smaller lancet-window, of the same date, and farther W. a modern doorway and arch. In the S. wall are three lancet-windows similar to that in the N. wall; below the shorter westernmost window is a re-set 12th-century doorway with chamfered jambs, rounded head and chamfered label; an upright stone between the two western windows may represent a destroyed window of earlier date. The partly restored early 13th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders with a chamfered label; the responds are square and have each a moulded corbel, with foliated termination, carrying the inner order.
The Nave (44 ft. by 18 ft.) has, in the N. wall, three early 13th-century lancet-windows; between the two eastern is a round relieving arch of about the height of a doorway. The re-set 12th-century N. doorway has a round arch and chamfered label; the doorway is now blocked. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost of two trefoiled lights and of late 13th-century date, and the other two lancet-windows similar to those in the N. wall; between the two eastern windows is the round relieving arch similar to that in the N. wall; the re-set 12th-century S. doorway has roll-moulded jambs and round arch with a chamfered label. There was a bell-cote over the W. end of the nave before the building of the modern tower.
The Roof of the nave is of trussed-rafter type, with two-centred arched braces below the collar-beams; it is probably of 13th or 14th-century date.
Fittings—Bracket: In nave—on N. wall, semi-octagonal corbel with rounded underside, mediæval. Churchyard Cross (Plate 47): S. of chancel—lower part of stem set in base with hollow-chamfered top and trefoil-headed niche in W. face, two steps, below, resting on a high plinth with chamfered base and capping, c. 1300. Font: modern but incorporating square stem with four attached shafts, moulded necking and base, early 13th-century. Glass: In nave—in S.E. window, fragments including tabernacle-work and foliage, 14th and 15th-century. Monument: In W. tower—on N. wall, to Elizabeth, 1715, John, 1712–3, and Benjamin, 1695, children of Thomas Vobe, and others added later, plain tablet removed from nave and decorations destroyed. Piscina: In chancel—recess with moulded jambs and trefoiled head, round drain, 13th-century. Table: In vestry—with turned legs, three in front, shaped top-rails, late 17th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). Bush Farm, house and outbuildings, 1 m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, partly with cellars and attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. The W. part of the house with the cross-wing was built in the 16th century; the E. part of the house, with its cross-wing, was added in the first half of the 17th century. Some of the timber-framing is exposed. The upper storey projects at the N. end of the E. cross-wing on a moulded and enriched bressummer and shaped brackets. Inside the building are some 17th-century moulded ceiling-beams and some earlier chamfered beams. The 17th-century staircase has moulded strings, square newels and flat wavy balusters.
The Cider-mill, adjoining the house on the N., is of the 17th century and has exposed timber-framing. The Barn, W. of the house, is of the same period and is of five bays with exposed timber-framing.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled or slate-covered roofs. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams and all, except (9) and (12), have exposed external timber-framing.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(3). Cottage, 25 yards N. of the church.
a(4). Church Farm, house, 70 yards S.E. of the church, has an added 18th-century stone cider-mill on the W., and other later additions.
b(5). Cottage, on the N.W. side of the road, 320 yards E. of the church.
b(6). Cottage, at Coombe Hill, 760 yards S.E. of the church.
b(7). Cottage, two tenements, on the S. side of the road, 1,140 yards E. of the church.
b(8). Stroud Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, 1,060 yards N.E. of the church.
b(9). House, on the W. side of the road, 220 yards W.S.W. of (8), is of two storeys with attics. It was built early in the 18th century, of brick with a band between the storeys. The S. front has a modillioned eaves-cornice of wood and original windows with solid frame, mullion and transom; the doorway is flanked by fluted pilasters supporting brackets and a hood with a pediment; the door is of eight panels.
b(10). Cottage, on the E. side of the cross-roads, 270 yards N. of (9), was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and has a thatched roof.
b(11). House, now post-office, nearly ¾ m. N.E. of the church, was built probably early in the 18th century.
b(12). Pound Farm, house and barn, ¾ m. E. of the church. The House has been entirely modernized externally. The Barn, N.W. of the house, is of four bays, partly weather-boarded.
b(13). Lynchets at Pithouse Rough, over ½ m. E.S.E. of the church, consist of a series of five terraces, extending for about 120 yards.