An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
29 HARPTON, LOWER (A.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)X, S.W., (b)XVII, N.W.)
Lower Harpton is a small parish on the Welsh border, 2 m. N.W. of Kington. Offa's Dyke runs through the northern part of the parish.
b(1). Dunfield, house, near the S. end of the parish, is of two storeys with attics and cellars; the walls are of stone and the roofs are covered with slates. The remains of a 17th-century timber-framed building form the nucleus of the present house which has been remodelled, enlarged and partly re-built in the 19th century. The exterior has no ancient features, but internally some of the rooms on the S. front have exposed ceiling-beams. The staircase is of late 17th-century date and has turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrails; in the staircase-window is a collection of fragments of mediæval glass, mostly of the 15th century, and including tabernacle-work, diapering and a hand holding a palm-branch.
Condition—Good, much altered.
N.B.—For Offa's Dyke, see p. xxx.