An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xi. S.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Peter, standing in the village, and originally of the 12th century, was re-built in 1871. The more important remains of the former church are the 12th-century chancel arch, of tufa, re-set in the N. wall of the chancel, and some 15th-century stones in the S. doorway.
Fittings—Font: octagonal, of clunch, 15th-century. Monuments: in the porch, mural tablets to Thomas Docwra, 1602; to Daniel Houghton, 1672. Piscina: in the chancel, with a four-centred head, octagonal bowl and shelf, possibly of the 15th century, now covered with modern paint. Plate: includes a cup of 1689. Pulpit: made up of old oak, with linen panels and traceried heads.