Little Berkhamstead

Page 142

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.


In this section


(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxvi. N.W.; (b)xxxvi. S.W.)


a(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands on the W. side of the village. It is almost completely modern; the only visible remains of old work are parts of the E. and W. walls belonging to the church said to have been re-built in 1647.

Fittings—Bells: three; 1st, 1718; 2nd, probably 14th-century; 3rd, 1621. Monuments: in the chancel, floor slabs to John Pendred, 1650: Elizabeth, his wife, 1655: Elizabeth Fleetwood, 1653: Cromwell Fleetwood, 1688. Plate: includes cup and cover paten of 1684; paten of 1701 and a salver of Sheffield plate.



b(2). Homestead Moat, at Woodcock Lodge Farm.

Condition—Fairly good.

a(3). The Gage, a house about ¼ mile W. of the church, consists of a long irregular block running N.E. and S.W., originally of late 16th-century date, but with alterations and additions of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries; it is built of brick and timber, covered with rough-cast; the roofs are tiled. The interior has been much altered, but in the rooms on the ground floor is some good panelling of late 17th-century date.

The Round Tower in the grounds is largely built of 17th-century bricks, but was constructed in the 18th century as an observatory.


a(4). The Manor Farm House, of early 17th-century date, stands about 300 yards E. by N. of the church. It is built of plastered timber; the roofs are tiled. The house is of the L type with a parlour and hall in the longer wing, and a kitchen in the shorter wing. The whole building is much repaired and altered both within and without. On the E. is a small projecting open timber porch, of which the sides are set with square moulded balusters, an unusual example of 17th-century work; N. of this is a shallow bay window of two storeys with moulded wooden mullions and transoms. Part of the hall ceiling remains, decorated with roses and octofoiled flowers modelled in low relief.