An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. xviii. S.E.)
(1). Markyate Cell, stands in a park 3¼ miles S.W. of Luton. It is a large house which has been almost completely re-built several times on account of fires, the date of the last rebuilding being 1840. The site was originally occupied by a nunnery founded early in the 12th century; after the suppression of the monasteries it was leased to Humphrey Bourchier, of the King's household, who converted the monastic buildings into a house in 1539–40; the old work remaining is probably of this period, and consists of the walls of the two-storeyed kitchen offices at the E. end of the house, and the lower part of a chimney stack. The walls are of flint with Totternhoe stone dressings; the N. wall of the scullery and the room over it is of flint and stone in alternate squares. The E. wall has been re-built and faced in the same manner, the stones used being fragments from the monastic church, with mouldings of 13th-century character. The N. window of the scullery is of two lights, with four-centred heads, divided by a moulded stone mullion; the kitchen window is similar, but of five lights, and over it is a square moulded hood with returned ends. The chimney stack projects from the E. wall of the kitchen, and in the lower part is a secret chamber, formerly reached by an opening in an upper room. The W. or inner wall of the scullery is 3 ft. 9 in. thick, and in it is a large arched opening, now built up on one side; the arch is low and pointed, and of three orders.