An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
89. MONKEN HADLEY.
(O.S. 6 in. xlv. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands on the W. side of Hadley Green, about ¾ mile N.E. of Chipping Barnet. It is built of flint with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled. The whole church, beginning with the chancel, was apparently re-built in the 15th century; the work was probably completed in 1494, the date carved on the West Tower. Both the Aisles were widened, and extensive restorations carried out in 1848–50. The South Porch was re-built in 1855, and the North Vestry added in 1888.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26½ ft. by 15½ ft.) has an E. window of three traceried lights, with 15th-century inner jambs, the rest of the stonework being modern. In the N. wall is a late 15th-century moulded arch opening into the N. chapel, a squint with a four-centred head, and the modern doorway of the vestry. In the S. wall is a squint and an arch, as in the N. wall, and a 15th-century window of two lights with tracery. There is no chancel arch. The North Chapel (16½ ft. square) has a 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights under a segmental head, but the glass has been removed, and it now opens into the modern organ chamber; N. of it is a small modern doorway. In the N. wall is a glazed window which resembles the window in the E. wall. The South Chapel (16 ft. square) has E. and S. windows similar to the corresponding windows in the N. chapel; the tracery of the window in the S. wall is modern. The Nave (27½ ft. by 16 ft.) is of two bays with N. and S. arcades of late 15th-century date; the columns and W. responds are moulded, the E. responds are plain, and the four-centred arches rest on corbels carved as angels. The North Aisle (10½ ft. wide) has modern windows. The South Aisle (10½ ft. wide) has also modern windows and a modern S. doorway. The West Tower (14 ft. square) is of three stages, with a stair-turret at the S.W. angle, and an embattled parapet. It is flanked by the aisles, and has 15th-century moulded arches with moulded jambs on the E., N., and S. sides; the W. doorway has moulded jambs and arch, the whole covered with cement; the date 1494 is carved over the doorway. The bell-chamber windows have late 15th-century stone jambs, and modern or cemented heads.
Fittings—Bells: 4th, by James Bartlet, 1681, and Sanctus bell, uninscribed. Brasses and Indents: in the chancel floor, of a lady, 15th-century, without inscription: of William Gale, 1614, and his wife, with shields of arms: indent of William Gale, 1610, brass inscription. Other brasses on the walls: on N. wall of chancel, of a lady, 15th-century: on S. wall of chancel, of man and his wife, 16th-century: in the N. transept, to Anne Walkenden, 1575, inscription and shield of arms: in the S. transept, of a lady, with inscription to John Goodyere, 1504, and his wife, two shields, (1) a fesse between three lions, (2) a fesse between two cheverons: to Walter Green, 1442, inscription only: in the S. aisle, of William Turnour, 1500, his wife and children, with inscription: to Walter and Agnes Tornor, 1494, inscription only: many of the indents of these brasses remain in the floors. Chest: at W. end of S. aisle, iron bound. Font: octagonal with quatrefoil panels, 15th-century. Glass: in N. window of N. transept, fragments, 17th-century. Monuments: at W. end of S. aisle, to Sir Roger Wilbraham, with marble busts, etc., 1616: on E. wall of chancel, to Elizabeth Davies, 1678: on the same wall, to Alice Stamford, 1573, and her son, 1626. Piscinae: in the chancel, with a trefoiled head: in N. transept, with a four-centred head: in S. transept, with a cinque-foiled head but without basin; all 15th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1562 with cover paten of 1657, cups of 1586, 1610, and 1615, paten of 1618 and flagon of 1609, all of silver gilt. Miscellanea: on the tower, remains of a copper beacon, possibly the only one left in the county.
Condition—Good. The exterior, with the exception of the tower, has been entirely refaced.
(2). Hadley Priory, W. of the church, retains some traces of 16th-century work, but was practically re-built in the 18th and 19th centuries. A room on the first floor is lined with early 17th-century oak panelling. In an adjoining room is a fireplace of mid 16th-century date, with a straight-sided, four-centred, moulded head and moulded jambs.