An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xxvi. S.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Lawrence, stands in the village, 2¼ miles N.E. of Great Berkhampstead. It is built of brick, except the W. tower, which is probably of flint rubble with stone dressings, but is covered with rough-cast. The West Tower is of the 15th century; the Nave, Chancel and North Porch were re-built in 1811.
Architectural Description—The Chancel is entirely modern. The Nave has four windows of three lights each, in which some of the stones may be of the 15th century, re-set. The Tower is of three stages, with an embattled parapet, and has diagonal buttresses on the W. side. The W. doorway is modern, but the window over it and the windows of the ground stage are of the 16th century. The bell-chamber windows are of two trefoiled lights under four-centred heads.
Fittings—Brass: in the chancel, of John Cotton, 1545, with four shields and inscription. Chair: on N. side of chancel, early 17th-century, carved. Monument: on S. wall of nave, to Edmund Bressy, 1612, his wife and children.
Condition—Good on the whole, but the rough-cast on the tower is cracking in places.
(2). Cottages, in the village, probably of late 17th-century date, are all of two storeys, built of brick and timber. The roofs are tiled, and the chimney stacks are of brick.