An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xxix. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, stands on the E. bank of the river Beane, E. of the village. It is built of cemented flint rubble, with stone dressings; the roof is tiled. The E. part of the Nave was built probably c. 1150, and the Chancel, from its proportions, may be of the same date, but early in the 16th century the chancel arch was replaced by a new one, and the whole church was re-roofed and generally repaired and altered. In the 19th century the nave was lengthened 20 ft. towards the W., and a North Transept, South Vestry and North Tower, of which the ground stage serves as a porch, were added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19 ft. by 14½ ft.) has a modern E. window; in the N. wall is a blocked modern doorway and a blocked window, of which the rear arch is possibly of the 13th century, but the exterior was altered in the 18th century. In the S. wall is a modern doorway to the vestry. The 16th-century chancel arch is two-centred, of two chamfered orders with a moulded capital at the springing. The Nave (52 ft. by 19 ft.) has, in the N. wall, a modern arch opening into the transept, and a modern window; between them is a doorway of c. 1150, which has a cheveron-moulded semi-circular head carried on circular shafts with leafornamented capitals. In the S. wall are some modern windows and a window of two cinque-foiled lights with tracery, of mid 15th-century date; at the E. end of the wall is a thickening, which may indicate the position of the former stairs to the rood-loft. The Roof of the nave at the E. end is of the 16th century.
Fittings—Bells: two; no marks. Glass: in the old window of the nave, some fragments, mid 15th-century.
Condition—Good; much restored and enlarged; the 12th-century doorway is well preserved.