An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xiii. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, stands on high ground S.E. of the village. It is built of flint and coursed iron-stone rubble; the quoins and other dressings are of oolite and clunch. The roofs are covered with slates. The North Transept, Central Tower, and Nave are the remains of a mid 12th-century cruciform church, and there are traces of a N. chapel E. of the N. transept. In the 15th century the South Aisle, South Porch, and clearstorey were added, and windows were inserted, the original S. transept being re-built to form the E bay of the aisle. In the 19th century the Chancel and the upper part of the central tower were re-built, a Vestry was added, and the whole building much repaired.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (32 ft. by 17½ ft.) is modern. The Central Tower (13½ ft. square) rests upon four semi-circular arches, with heavy abaci of unusual detail. The upper part of the tower is practically modern. The North Transept (14 ft. by 12½ ft.) has a blocked and partly destroyed semi-circular arch in the E. wall which indicates the position of a former chapel. In the N. and W. walls are small 12th-century windows, with semi-circular heads. The Nave (44½ ft. by 21½ ft.) has, in the N. wall, a 15th-century traceried window of two lights, and another of three lights; between them is a blocked 15th-century N. doorway. The three-light window in the W. wall is also of the 15th century. The S. arcade is of three bays, with two-centred arches of two hollow chamfered orders, separated by hollows; the octagonal columns have moulded capitals and bases. The whole arcade has been considerably scraped and defaced. Above it are four square openings, from which tracery has probably been removed; they were originally clearstorey windows, but are now internal, as the aisle roof has been raised. The South Aisle (the E. bay 14½ ft. wide, the other bays 12 ft. wide) has an E. window of three lights, with tracery, and three windows of two lights, in the S. wall, all of the 15th century, and very similar to the windows of the nave. The S. doorway is of the same date. The South Porch (12 ft. by 10 ft.) has an entrance with an arch of two moulded orders, and shafted jambs. The Roof of the nave, with grotesque corbels, is of the 15th century.
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st, 1716; 2nd and 3rd, 1634; 5th, 1682. Chest: in the nave, small, carved, 17th-century. Font: octagonal, with quatrefoil panels on the moulded bowl, moulded and panelled stem; 15th-century. Monument: on the chancel wall, to John Fairclough, 1630. Piscina: in S. aisle, with plain pointed head, 15th-century. Plate: includes a cup of 1638 and a paten of 1661.
Condition—Very good, but over-restored.
(2). Halls Green Farm, formerly Faircloth Hall, nearly a mile S.E. of the church, is a timber-framed and plastered house of two storeys, built in the 17th century. The roof is tiled. The plan is L-shaped, but the smaller wing is probably of later date than the main block, which faces S.W., and has a large central chimney stack (modern outside), and another at the N.W. end, with two detached square shafts set diagonally. The original large fireplaces in the central stack are reduced for modern grates. Several original cambered beams remain in the first-floor rooms; two doors are made up of pieces of early 17th-century oak panelling, and one of them has some good hinges of the same date.