An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)vi. N.E. (b)vi. S.E.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Peter, stands in the village, about 3 miles N. of Hitchin. It was built in 1877–9 on the site of an older church, of which it contains the following remains:—across E. wall, the length of 14th-century string course, with ball flower and other ornament typical of the period, and in the N. wall of the nave a 15th-century doorway.
Fittings—Brass: in the nave, to Robert Wodehouse, 1515; with chalice and wafer, and an inscription between two 'wodehouses' or wild men. Corbel or Bracket: in S. wall of chancel, possibly 15th-century. Piscina: in N. wall of nave, recess without basin, cusped head much damaged, 15th-century.
b(2). Homestead Moat, ¼ mile S.W. of the church.