BHO

Sandon

Pages 198-199

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

In this section

115. SANDON.

(O.S. 6 in. (a)viii. N.E. (b)viii. S.E.)

Ecclesiastical

a (1). Parish Church of All Saints, at Churchend Green, N. of Sandonbury, is built of flint rubble with stone dressings; the chancel is roofed with tiles, and the nave and aisles with lead. The Chancel, Nave, and North and South Aisles were built late in the 14th century, probably on the site of an earlier church. The West Tower and the South Porch were added c. 1400. The church was restored in 1832 and 1875, and the restoration of the tower and S. porch was completed in 1909.

Architectural Description—The Chancel (36 ft. by 15 ft.) has two late 14th-century windows of two lights in the N. wall and two in the S. wall; the tracery of the three-light E. window is modern. The two-centred chancel arch, of two hollow-chamfered orders, with moulded capitals and bases, is of late 14th-century date, repaired. The Nave (52½ ft. by 20 ft.) has N. and S. arcades of four bays and of late 14th-century date; the arches are pointed and carried on octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and bases. At the E. end are two small clearstorey windows, probably inserted to light a former rood-loft. The North Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has two 14th-century windows of two lights, in the N. wall. The E. window, of three lights, is much repaired. The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has a 14th-century E. window of three lights with flowing tracery. In the S. wall are two windows, and the moulded S. doorway is original. The Tower (12½ ft. by 12 ft.) is of three stages, with modern brick buttresses and a low pyramidal roof. The tower arch is four-centred, and the responds have moulded capitals and bases; the W. doorway and window are modern, and the bell-chamber windows are of two lights. The exterior stonework has been generally restored. The South Porch has a two-centred moulded arch over the entrance and a window in each side wall, restored. The tie-plates and king-posts of the Roof of the chancel are probably of the 14th century. At the W. end of the N. aisle is a 15th-century moulded principal and carved boss.

Fittings—Bells: five; 5th 1624. Brasses: in the nave, of John Fitz-Geffrey, 1480, in armour, and his wife, six daughters, three shields, with indent for fourth, and incomplete inscription: at W. end of S. aisle, to Symond Pratt and Jone his wife, inscription undated, probably early 16th-century. Easter Sepulchre: in N. wall of chancel, low arched recess with enriched edge mouldings and a double label, the lower forming a series of crocketted finials, and the upper a moulded framework, late 14th-century. Font: bowl modern, stem, with four flanking shafts, and base probably 14th-century. Glass: in heads of three windows in N. aisle, and in E. window of S. aisle, fragments, old, painted. Monuments and Floor Slabs: on S. wall of chancel, tablet to Edward Nicholas, 1683: alabaster monument to Elizabeth Moryson, 1626: on floor of nave, slab, also to Edward Nicholas, 1683. Niche: in N. aisle, segmental head, possibly for image. Panelling: two linen panels worked into a desk. Piscinae: in chancel, 14th-century, defaced: in S. aisle, with credence shelf, 14th-century: in N. aisle, probably 15th-century. Plate: includes cup and large paten of 1688, and pewter alms-dish. Pulpit: carved oak, early 17th-century. Screen: under chancel arch, traceried oak, with slight traces of colour on the lower panels, 15th-century. Seating: at W. end of nave, oak benches, with poppy-head finials, 15th-century. Sedilia: at back of recess under S.E. window of chancel, carved stonework, in three divisions, with crocketted heads, 14th-century, apparently not in situ.

Condition—Good.

Secular

Homestead Moats

a (2). At Daniel's Farm, fragment.

b (3). At Hankins, 1 mile S.W. of the church.

a (4). Sandon Bury, a farmhouse, stands S.E. of the church. It was built at the beginning of the 17th century, and is of three storeys, with walls of the usual thin bricks of that period. The original plan was almost square. A modern wing has been added at the E. end, and the attics on the S. have been enlarged by raising the wall on that side. The only original fitting, inside the house, is a staircase, with heavy square newels, moulded handrail and turned balusters; it reaches to the second floor.

Two timber Barns near the house are probably also of the 17th century; one is built of thin bricks, and has a gabled end with three oval lights in it. There is also an early 17th-century Pigeon House, 22 ft. square, now used as a chicken house; the walls are of thin bricks, and the pyramidal roof is tiled; it has a tall segmentally-arched doorway, now reduced in height, and is lighted by oval windows; the cots inside are of brick, but are much broken away at the top and bottom.

Condition—Of house and barns, good; of pigeon house, dilapidated.

b (5). Hyde Hall, stands in an isolated position about 2½ miles N.N.W. of Buntingford. It is of 17th-century origin, but is now practically modern. The plan is L-shaped; the gabled end of the smaller wing, the lower part of the main block, and two chimney stacks of thin bricks are the only signs of age in the building. A large brick Barn near the Hall was built probably in the 16th century; the plan is L-shaped. It is lighted by long narrow loops, and in the smaller wing some of these have been filled in, and replaced by plastered brick mullioned windows, and an upper floor has been inserted, the space being divided by wood partitions into smaller rooms. The large doorways to the barn have wood frames, and the roof contains some good oak trusses. The foundations of an adjacent barn, and some of the garden walls, contain 17th-century narrow bricks.

Condition—Of house, good; of barn, fairly good; except the first floor and roof, which are in bad condition.

Unclassified

a(6). The Mount, moated tumulus, E. of the village.

Condition—Fairly good, but thickly planted.