An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
46. HOLME (C.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. IX N.E.)
Holme is a parish and village 6½ m. S. of Peterborough.
(1). Parish Church of St. Giles stands on the N. side of the village. The church was re-built in 1862 and enlarged. It incorporates the former N. and S. arcades, each having an added bay. The N. arcade formerly of three bays but now of four has two-centred arches, struck from below the springing-line, and of two chamfered orders with a chamfered label and two foliated stops; the octagonal columns have moulded capitals and bases and the responds have attached half-columns; the third column, fourth arch and the base of the second column are modern, the rest is of c. 1300, re-set and partly restored. The S. arcade also formerly of three bays and now of four has two-centred arches of one plain order with a double-chamfered label; the cylindrical columns and the half-round responds have scalloped or fluted capitals with chamfered abaci, except the second column the capital of which has a moulding of c. 1300 worked on the earlier capital; the third column, fourth arch and all the bases are modern, the rest is of late 12th-century date, re-set and partly restored. The arcades are of Barnack stone.
Fittings—Communion Table: of oak, with heavy symmetrically-turned legs, moulded upper and lower rails, shaped brackets, c. 1630. Monument: In churchyard—S. of nave, head-stone with inscription but no name, late 17th-century. Plate: includes a cup of 1709 inscribed "Holme Com: Hunt. 1710."
(2). Cross, on roadside S. of churchyard. Only the square base of the cross remains; it has stop-chamfered angles.
(3). Cottage (Plate 148), on S.W. side of the road 240 yards E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with slates. It was built probably in the second half of the 17th century. The front has bands above and below the second storey and is divided into bays by narrow pilaster strips. The ends of the house are finished with Dutch gables.