An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
97. WOODSTONE (C.a.).
(O.S. 6 in. II S.E.).
Woodstone is a parish on the S. side of the Nene. The northern part forms a suburb of and is annexed to the borough of Peterborough.
(1). Remains of huts, with pottery, pins and human remains were found in 1910 in the London Brick Co.'s No. 4 Yard, W. of the Huntingdon to Peterborough road. (See also under Fletton.)
(2). Parish Church of St. Augustine of Canterbury stands on the S. side of Oundle road. The walls, where old, are of rubble and the dressings of Barnack stone. Part of the W. wall of a late pre-Conquest church remains. The church was almost entirely re-built in 1844, the only exception being parts of side walls of the chancel, and the W. wall under the tower; the church has been subsequently enlarged in 1884 and 1896.
The pre-Conquest window in the W. wall is noteworthy.
The Chancel has, in the old part of the S. wall, the jambs and sill of a two-light window and in the N. wall an early 14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs, segmental head and moulded label with mask-stops.
The Nave has a reconstructed S. arcade, of the 13th century with much modern work; the arcade is of four bays with two-centred arches, the octagonal columns have moulded capitals and bases; the responds have attached half-columns. The W. wall under the tower is of pre-Conquest date and of rough rubble; in it is a double-splay window also of rubble with a round head.
The Tower is modern but incorporates old materials, including four 12th-century windows, probably from the bell-chamber of the former tower; they are each of two round-headed lights divided by a round shaft with cushion or scalloped capital; the jambs have similar shafts supporting a round moulded outer order with a chamfered label; below these windows runs a 12th-century string-course with hatched ornament.
Fittings—Coffin-lids: In churchyard—on N. side, two, one with remains of foliated cross. Font (Plate 8): octagonal bowl with tapering sides, round stem with four subsidiary octagonal shafts with moulded bases and capitals supporting inverted 'mask-stops' against the sides of the bowl, late 13th-century. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In N. transept—on E. wall, (1) to Vokes, son of John Walsham, 1714, marble tablet with fluted Ionic pilasters, entablature, an urn, cartouche-of-arms on apron. In churchyard—on E. wall of S. transept, (2) to Elizabeth, wife of James Wright, 1680, also Mary, daughter of J. Wright, 1691–2, draped marble tablet with plain pilasters, moulded cornice and shelf; against S. wall, (3) to Ann (Addison), 1640, Ann (Grombell), 1650, and Jane (Parrish), 1675, wives of William Shipp and to William Shipp, 1683–4, plain square tablet; S. of church, (4) to William Castle, 1696–7, and James Castle, 17(0 ?)7, head-stone with Ionic pilasters, entablature and pediment; (5) to Joseph Papworth, 1701, plain head-stone; next E. wall of S. transept, (6) to T.W., 1659, also William Wright, 1698, flat slab partly coped and with flat cartouche; (7) slab with lozenge-of-arms, probably late 17th-century, defaced; (8) to Frances, daughter of James Wright, 1704, also to Martha her mother, 1739, plain coped slab. Floor-slab: In chancel— to John Vokes, rector, 1702. Piscina: In chancel —base of moulded jambs and octofoiled drain, early 14th-century, rest modern. Plate: includes cup (Plate 136) of 1569 with band of engraved ornament; cover-paten of same date and character; large stand-paten of 1671 (Norwich Marks); shallow bowl (Plate 137) probably of 1630, with scalloped edge and repoussé ornament, Solomon's seal design in middle and ten marigolds round. Miscellanea: In rectory garden—various fragments of worked and moulded stone, 13th-century, etc.
(3). Cottage, two tenements, on E. side of the road at Water End, about 250 yards N. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built probably in the 17th century.
(4). Range of tenements, on the W. side of the road, S.W. of (2), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. The northern part of the range is of mid 17th-century date, but the three southern tenements are an addition, probably of early 18th-century date. The original block has both in front and at the back some original windows with moulded stone jambs, mullions and labels. One chimney-stack retains its ashlar base.
(5). Barn, E. of (2), is of rubble with a tiled roof. In one gable is a small stone block inscribed M.R.T. 1700, presumably the date of the building.