An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
60. ORTON LONGUEVILLE (B.a.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)II S.E., (b)V N.E.)
Orton Longueville is a parish on the S. bank of the Nene 2 m. S.W. of Peterborough. The Church and Orton Hall are the principal monuments.
b(1). Remains of a hut-village were found in the gravel-pits at Orton Longueville Park, 800 ft. S. of the Oundle road and 500 ft. E. of the eastern boundary-wall of the park. Hut-circles were observed about 4 ft. below the surface, and in them many coarse Romano-British potsherds, a shale spindle-whorl, part of a bronze bracelet, an iron knife and probably much more.
b(2). Parish Church of Holy Trinity stands at the N. end of the village. The walls are of local stone roughly coursed; the roofs are covered with lead. The earliest details are the bases of the Nave arcades, of c. 1240. The chancel-arch is of c. 1280 and the Chancel is perhaps of the same date; a N. chapel was added at the same time. The nave-arcades with the North and South Aisles and the West Tower were built or re-built c. 1300. Early in the 14th century the clearstorey was added to the nave, and c. 1350 the North Chapel was largely re-built and the arch between it and the chancel widened. The W. tower was heightened in the 15th century. In 1675 the South Porch was added and the S. aisle was widened and partly re-built with material taken from the ruined church of the adjacent parish of Botolph Bridge subsequently united to Orton Longueville. Alterations made in recent years include the widening of the N. chapel towards the N. and the building of a basement beneath the S.W. corner of the S. aisle.
The recessed seats in the W. wall of the chancel are unusual and among the fittings the painting of St. Christopher is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (33 ft. by 16 ft.) has a moulded plinth and an embattled parapet. The E. window is of c. 1350 and of five cinque-foiled lights with flowing tracery in a two-centred head with moulded labels and mask-stops, moulded rear-arch and splays with moulded bases. In the N. wall is a late 13th-century window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops; the arch into the N. chapel is of c. 1280, widened c. 1350; it is two-centred and of two hollow-chamfered orders with moulded labels and mask-stops, one of which is missing; it is carried on shafted responds with moulded capitals and bases, the former having been cut into for a screen, now gone. In the S. wall are two windows of c. 1320; the eastern has been repaired and is of three cinque-foiled lights with a sub-cusped trefoil under a two-centred head with moulded label and mask-stops; the western window is of two trefoiled lights with trefoils over in a two-centred head with moulded label and mask-stops; below it is a blocked 'low-side' window of the same date, of three trefoiled ogee lights in a square head; the S. doorway is of early 14th-century date and has double hollow-chamfered jambs and flat ogee head with a moulded label terminating in a fleur-de-lis, and mask-stops. The late 13th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders with moulded labels and mask-stops; the inner order is carried on half-round shafts to the responds with moulded capitals and chamfered bases; the abacus is continued round the responds and the capitals have been cut into for a former screen. The gable over the chancel-arch has remains of an ornamental gable-cross.
The North Chapel (22¾ ft. by 18 ft.) has re-set in the E. wall a restored window of c. 1300 and of three trefoiled lights with tracery under a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops; externally the moulded plinth is continued round from the chancel. The N. wall is modern but incorporates two partly restored early 14th-century windows, each of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops. In the W. wall the arch opening into the N. aisle is of c. 1280, two-centred and of two chamfered orders, with a moulded label on the W. side with one mask-stop and a modern label on the E. side; the responds have attached half-round shafts with moulded capitals and bases, with the abaci of the capitals continued round the outer order.
The Nave (36¾ ft. by 15¼ ft.) has N. and S. arcades of c. 1300, each of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with moulded labels and mask-stops above the responds; the piers are octagonal and have moulded capitals and bases with the upper members of the capitals projecting as corbels on the N. and S. faces to carry the outer order of the arches; the bases rest on square plinths of c. 1240 with spurs at the angles; at the E. end of the N. arcade the wall is pierced on the N. side by the former rood-loft doorway; it has rebated jambs and two-centred head and is probably of 15th-century date; at the E. end of the S. arcade is a partly restored opening into the S. aisle with a trefoiled head and a moulded label on the N. side. The 14th-century clearstorey has on each side three windows, each of two trefoiled lights under a square head with moulded labels and mask-stops.
The North Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has a moulded plinth similar to that of the chancel. In the N. wall are two early 14th-century windows, each of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatre-foiled spandrel in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label and mask-stops; the early 14th-century N. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops. In the W. wall is an early 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights with a traceried spandrel in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label and mask-stops.
The South Aisle (37¾ ft. by 16¾ ft.) has a moulded plinth. In the E. wall are two early 14th-century windows each of three cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops; the splays of the second have been carried down to form a seat. The first two windows in the S. wall have been re-set and restored and are each of two trefoiled ogee lights with a trefoil in an elliptical head with a moulded label and mask-stops; the S. doorway, of c. 1290, is also re-set, it has richly moulded jambs, two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops; further W. is a window of c. 1300 generally similar to the first two windows but with jambs and mullions of different section. In the W. wall are two windows, the first is similar to the W. window of the N. aisle; the second is similar to the westernmost window in the S. wall.
The West Tower (8½ ft. by 7½ ft.) stands on a moulded plinth and is in three stages with an embattled parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is of c. 1300 and of three chamfered orders, the two outer interrupted by a moulded impost and the inner resting on a half-round shaft with moulded capital and chamfered base; the imposts are continued from the abaci of the capitals. In the N. wall is a blocked late 13th-century doorway leading to a former vise; it has stop-chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a doorway with rebated jambs and two-centred head leading to the tower-stair. In the W. wall is a late 13th-century window of two trefoiled lights with a pierced spandrel in a two-centred head with moulded label and mask-stops. The second stage has in the E. wall an opening with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the N. wall is a single quatrefoil-light and there is a similar light in the S. wall. The bell-chamber has in the E., N. and S. walls a window of two trefoiled lights with plain tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops.
The South Porch (7½ ft. square) has re-set in the E. wall a quatrefoil-window of c. 1300 with a continuous moulded label. The outer archway is of the 14th century, re-set, with jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders and a moulded label with stops carved with a man's head and a leopard's head; the S. gable is of low pitch and has on the coping the date 1675.
The Roofs are all modern except that to the S. porch which is of the 15th century, re-set in 1675; it has moulded wall-plates and on either side of the central ridge each side is divided into four bays by moulded principal rafters supported by curved and moulded braces springing from moulded brackets; at the N. end these brackets are replaced by Corinthian capitals of 16th-century date, from a former screen.
Fittings—Bells: one and sanctus; 1st by John Walgrave, inscribed in 'black-letter' "Nomen Magdalene Campana Gerit Melodie," mid 15th-century; sanctus, pre-reformation. Doors: In S. doorway of chancel—modern but with two iron hinges with elaborate foliated ends now thickly covered with paint, probably early 14th-century. To W. tower staircase—of two planks with two-centred head and vertical rib down middle; hung on two strap-hinges, 17th-century. Font (Plate 9): octagonal, with sides of bowl panelled alternately with coupled trefoil-headed panels and quatrefoils, two containing four-leaf flowers and two containing shields; moulded under-edge to bowl and sides of stem with quatrefoil-headed panels; necking to base original but modern or re-cut below, 15th-century. Glass: in N. aisle—in N.E. window, in tracery, roundel with part of decorative border in blue and brown line on white ground, 15th-century; in second window, a quarry with part of interior of a church in yellow and brown, 17th-century; in W. window—fragments including quarries with parts of spiral foliage-design, 13th-century; foliated designs in brown, ruby, grey, blue and green, leopards' faces and parts of border of circles and dots, 14th-century, part of 'black-letter' inscription, 15th-century; fragments showing interior of a church, 17th-century. In W. tower —in W. window, a small half-figure of a saint with nimbus holding a shield with a cross paty, and a plain staff all with ruby surround, late 13th-century. In N. chapel—lying loose, considerable amount including many quarries with oak-leaves within a border and miscellaneous fragments of geometric borders in ruby, blue, yellow and brown with black lines; one quarry with shield a cheveron between three pierced molets with three cinqfoils on the cheveron; one quarry with portion of a yellow robe, 14th-century. Helm, Funeral (Plate 59): In N. chapel—on N. wall, with comb and spike for crest attached, visor carried up to point in front and beavor shaped to chin, early 17th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In N. chapel— on N. wall, (1) to Elizabeth (Reyner) wife of Henry Talbot, youngest son of George, Earl of Shrewsbury, and Mary their child, 1674–5, wife first to Thomas Holcroft and afterwards to Sir William Armyne, Bart., who erected the monument in 1629; alabaster and marble wall-monument with grey marble altar-table with moulded slab supported on Doric columns with square piers at corner and in centre; on wall behind, large inscription-tablet with round head, containing ten shields-of-arms, round tablet, ornamental border with eighteen shields-of-arms, several others now missing. In S.E. corner (2) effigy (Plate 10) of a knight in complete chain mail, with coif with strap round forehead, long sleeves with mittens caught up by a strap at wrist and thrown back from hands, long surcoat, extending to below knees, divided at middle and held by a heavy leather sword-belt, leather knee-cop, heater-shaped shield; head on cushion and feet on lion, legs crossed; whole effigy badly mutilated, left leg, from knee downwards gone, part of shield and sword broken away, c. 1280. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Robert Nevile, 170(? 6); (2) to Rev. Robert Caryer, 1714; (3) to Rev. Richard Caryer, 1711; (4) to Rev. Richard Caryer, 1704, prebendary of Peterborough and Lincoln and rector of Orton Longueville for 40 years; (5) to Mary, daughter of Rev. Richard Caryer, 1695; (6) to Thomas Caryer, 1680; (7) to Penelope, daughter of Robert Caryer, 1698; (8) to Richard Caryer, 1671; (9) to Wilyam Yarwe[ll], 1597, with 'black-letter' marginal inscription; slab now in two parts, separated and partly hidden by pews. In S. aisle—near S. door, (10) to A.K., 1698–9; (11) to G. W. 1697; (12) to Mary, wife of Thomas Wakelin, 1693. Niches: In chancel— in N. wall—(1) with chamfered jambs, two-centred head and modern sill, 13th-century, re-set. In N. chapel—in E. wall, (2) and (3) each with chamfered jambs and trefoiled ogee head with moulded label and mask-stops, sills modern and northernmost niche re-built, c. 1300. In S. arcade, in second column (4) with round head and metal alms-box inserted in sill, possibly 17th-century. In S. wall of chancel, external, (5) and (6), each with hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled head with moulded label and mask-stops, early 14th-century. In W. tower—in W. wall, external, with hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled head, late 13th-century. Painting: In N. aisle—on N. wall, rectangular panel (Plate 104) of St. Christopher bearing the Christ Child, saint nimbed and wearing grey tunic and red cloak and holding staff in both hands with Child seated on his left shoulder; the Child in grey tunic caught in at the waist and holding an orb in his left hand; lower part of painting destroyed or painted over, early 16th-century. Piscinae: In chancel —with chamfered jambs and trefoiled head, with moulded label and mask-stops, octofoiled drain partly cut away, c. 1300. In N. chapel—in E. wall, with chamfered jambs and trefoiled head, octofoiled drain partly cut away, c. 1300. In N. aisle—(3) loose, plain round drain in rectangular stone, probably 13th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1711. Rainwater-heads: By S. porch—four, moulded, late 17th-century. Seats: In chancel— in W. wall, two, one on either side of chancel-arch, each with hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled ogee head with moulded label and mask-stops, early 14th-century, seats modern. To seat on S. side, splay of adjoining window cut back for recess with underside of corbelling enriched with ball - flowers. Sundial: painted on S.E. angle buttress of chancel, with date and initial "1699 B." Miscellanea: In churchyard—carved respond-capital, early 13th-century.
Condition—Good but threatened in places by growth of ivy.
a(3). Site of All Saints Church, Botolph Bridge, nearly ¾ m. N.N.E. of the parish church has a ditch on two sides. On the site is a floor-slab with a late 15th- or early 16th-century 'black-letter' inscription, mostly defaced.
b(4). Orton Hall, house and outbuildings, N.W. of the church. The House is of three storeys; the walls are of coursed rubble and ashlar dressings and the roofs are covered with slates. The one-storeyed kitchen-wing at the N.E. angle of the house is of the 16th century and the adjoining part of the main building is probably contemporary, though the whole of the main building has been much altered and remodelled and the S. and W. sides are modern. The N. wall of the kitchen-wing has two original windows with square heads and now blocked. Between this wing and the W. range of the stables is a doorway (Plate 116) with chamfered jambs, segmental arch and moulded label; above it is a cornice and a segmental pediment pierced by two round openings and having a moulded coping; on each face of the pediment is a carved shield-of-arms in a strapwork frame; the arms, on the E., are Talbot and, on the W., Rayner. Inside, the building has been almost completely altered but the kitchen has a chamfered ceiling-beam. Incorporated in the modern panelling of the Dining Room is a considerable quantity of 16th- and 17th-century carved wood-work (Plate 119) including figures, lions' heads, shaped corbels, grotesques, putti, enriched panels and panels carved with figure-subjects—Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel. Incorporated in modern glazing in various parts of the house are the following pieces of ancient glass—five 16th-century roundels of the labours of the months of March, May, June, August and October, one with the date 1545; a 17th-century armed head with the letters E.S.W., P.; a badge of a crow holding a sword and two rayed Tudor roses; 17th-century roundels with the Cope badge, impaled arms of Cope, arms and crest of Cromwell, Earl of Essex, etc.
The Stables on the E. side of the courtyard are of one storey with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are of slate. The building is of early 18th-century date with hipped roof and four hipped dormers in front; from the middle of the roof rises a timber clock-turret finished with straight or segmental pediments and supporting an octagonal cupola with a round arch in each face and an ogee capping. The first floor is reached by external staircases at the N. and S. ends, carried on round arches. The interior has exposed ceiling-beams and joists. The W. Range of the stables is probably of the 17th century. It has rubble-walls with ashlar dressings and a roof of slate. The E. front has three hipped dormers and in the S. wall is a blocked doorway. At the N. end is an early 18th-century extension also with hipped dormers; the walls incorporate re-used material including 17th-century moulded jamb-stones.
In a rockery N.W. of the house are many worked and moulded stones of 14th- to 17th-century date, including the round drain of a piscina. For the Roman remains preserved in the house and garden see p. 52b. and Plate 2.
Condition—Of house, mostly re-built, present condition good.
b(5). Cottage and post-office, 500 yards S.S.E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built in the 17th century and has modern extensions at each end. The N. chimney-stack is original and has a diagonal shaft. Inside the building is some exposed timber-framing.
b(6). House, on the E. side of the main street, 150 yards S.E. of the church, is of two storeys. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built probably late in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E.