An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
71. SAWTRY (B.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)IX S.E., (b)XIII N.E.).
Sawtry is a parish and village 8½ m. N.N.W. of Huntingdon. The Church is the principal monument.
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands W. of the village. It was entirely re-built in 1880, but incorporates old material, including an arcade in the chancel and three windows in the N. aisle.
Architectural Description—The re-set arcade, between the chancel and the N. chapel, is of late 13th-century date, partly restored and of two bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the column is octagonal with a moulded capital and base; the responds have each an attached half-column. In the N. wall of the N. aisle are two 14th-century windows, the eastern of three trefoiled ogee lights in a square head with a moulded label; the western window is similar but of two lights only. In the W. wall of the same aisle is a restored late 13th-century window of two pointed lights with trefoiled tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops.
Fittings—Bell: inaccessible but said to be inscribed "Mater Dei Miserere Mei Amen," 14th-century. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Mary, wife of John Newton, rector of St. Andrew Sawtry, 1633, inscription only, formerly in St. Andrew's church; against S. wall, in original slab (Plate 127), (2) of [Sir William le Moyne], 1404, and Mary his wife, figure of man in armour with camail and bascinet, head on helm with crest of a monk holding a scourge, feet on lion, figure of wife with veiled head-dress, tight buttoned sleeves, mantle, etc., head on two cushions, dog at feet, indents of four shields and remains of marginal-inscription giving date and wife's name. Chests: in N. vestry (Plate 146)—of plain boards with angle-straps and strap-hinges, panelled lid; on front, traces of painted decoration including a nimbed and crowned head, part of a staff-cross and the feathered end of an arrow; on ends, traces of painted conventional foliage and geometrical designs, early 16th-century. In nave—plain chest of oak with angle-straps and three strap-hinges, 17th-century. Coffin-lids: In nave—four, of oolite, all with raised crosses and 'omega' ornament (Plate 142), 13th-century. Communion Table: In vestry—with turned legs and plain rails, mid 17th-century. Glass: In chancel in two S. windows (Plate 157) miscellaneous fragments, formerly in the Manor House, made up with modern glass; in eastern window, remains of an achievement of the royal Stuart arms, fragments of 15th-century crocketing and parts of three early 16th-century shields-of-arms (a) sable three bells argent; (b) sable a fesse between six (?) owls or with three (?) crosslets sable on the fesse; (c) or an eagle vert; also portions of a 17th-century figure-subject, the Betrayal; in the western window, fragments of 14th-century tracery, ten detached heads, 15th-century, tabernacle-work and miscellaneous fragments, 15th and 16th-century. Seating: In church—four stools (Plate 40) with turned legs, moulded rails and seats with moulded edges, 17th-century. Stoup: rough stone bowl, loose in chancel, date uncertain. Tiles: In vestry—set in frame, various tiles including two with large wyvern, conventional foliage, rosettes, etc., probably 13th- or 14th-century, slip-tiles of head of king, 14th-century, all from Sawtry Abbey. Miscellanea: In rectory garden, numerous fragments of moulded and carved stones, 13th- to 15th-century, from Sawtry Abbey.
a(2). Site of Parish Church of St. Andrew, on E. side of road 400 yards E. of (1). The church was pulled down in 1880 but remaining on the site is the following
Fitting—Coffin: of stone with shaped head, 13th- or early 14th-century.
a(3). Homestead Moat, 130 yards E. of the church.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of late 17th or early 18th-century date and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks, wide fire-places and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(4). Manor Farm, house and barn, S. of the church. The House is modern except for a timber-framed gable at the E. end. The Barn has brick filling to the timber-frame.
a(5). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 240 yards W.N.W. of the church.
a(6). Cottage, W. of (5).
a(7). Range of three tenements, on the N. side of the road, 130 yards W. of (6). The E. tenement is a somewhat later addition.
a(8). Cottage, two tenements, 130 yards N.W. of (7).
a(9). Cottage, three tenements, on the S. side of the road, 110 yards W.S.W. of (7).
a(10). Cottage, on the E. side of Front Street, 20 yards S.W. of (9).
a(11). House and shop, 20 yards S. of (10).
a(12). Cottage, two tenements, 120 yards W. of (11).
a(13). Chequers Inn, on the W. side of the road, 130 yards S. of (11), has modern additions on the E. and W.
b(14). Cottage, two tenements, on the S.W. side of Fen Lane, ¼ m. S.W. of the church.
b(15). Cottage, three tenements, adjoining (14) on the S.E.
b(16). Cottage, four tenements, 50 yards S.W. of (15), has been partly refaced with brick.
b(17). Cottage, on the W. side of Green End Road, 700 yards S.W. of the church.
b(18). Cottage, two tenements, 300 yards S.S.E. of (17), has some exposed timber-framing.
b(19). Cottage, S.E. of (18).
b(20). Cottage, 100 yards S. of (19).
b(21). Cottage, two tenements, 10 yards W. of (20). The eastern part has been heightened.
b(22). Cottage, on the N.E. side of Slough Lane, 920 yards S. of the church is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and W.
b(23). Cottage, N. of (22).
b(24). Cottage, on the E. side of Blind Lane, 130 yards N. of (23).
b(25). Cottage, on the W. side of the road at Chapel End, 200 yards S. of the church.
a(26). Earthwork, 150 yards S.W. of the church, consists of a round 'island,' 25 yards in diameter, enclosed by a dry ditch.