An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
94. WINWICK (B.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. XII N.E.)
Winwick is a parish and village 8 m. N. of Kimbolton. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands on the E. side of the village. The walls are of Weldon rubble and ashlar, with dressings mainly of Ketton stone; the roofs are covered with tiles, lead and stone slates. The re-set S. doorway is evidence of a 12th-century church which has otherwise disappeared. The Chancel and Nave were re-built about the middle of the 13th century with the S. arcade and South Aisle. About 1320–30 the North Aisle and arcade were built, and shortly afterwards the chancel-arch was re-built. Early in the 15th century the South Transept was built, and late in the century the West Tower was added. Early in the 16th century the N. aisle was partly re-built. The church was restored in 1864 and the South Porch is modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24½ ft. by 13½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall are two 13th-century lancet-windows, with modern sills; the eastern window has a moulded label and mask-stops. In the S. wall is an early 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights in a two-centred head with a defaced label and head-stops, one of a woman's head in a wimple and the other defaced; further W. is a blocked doorway, only visible internally, with a segmental-pointed rear-arch. The chancel-arch, of c. 1340, is two-centred and of two hollow-chamfered orders, the inner springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and modern bases; there is a moulded label on the W. face.
The Nave (44¼ ft. by 18 ft.) has a N. arcade of c. 1320–30 and of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, with moulded labels; the octagonal columns and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases of varying section; the easternmost column is modern except for the base. The S. arcade, of c. 1250, is of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with moulded labels and one mask-stop; the middle column is octagonal, the other columns round and the responds semi-octagonal; all have moulded capitals and nail-head ornament and moulded bases, both capitals and bases being of varying section. The clearstorey has on the N. side three windows and on the S. side two windows, all modern.
The North Aisle (10¾ ft. wide) has in the E. wall a re-set early 14th-century window of three pointed lights with intersecting tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops. In the N. wall are three windows, the easternmost of early 16th-century date and of three four-centred lights in a square-head with a moulded label; the other two windows are of the same date and character but of two lights only, and the middle window has no label; the early 16th-century N. doorway has moulded jambs, four-centred arch and label; it is now blocked. In the W. wall is a two-light window, uniform with those in the N. wall, but with a modern label.
The South Transept (16¼ ft. by 11½ ft.) is of early 15th-century date and has in the S. wall a transomed window of four cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head with moulded reveals and label with head-stops; the lights have trefoiled heads below the transom. In the W. wall, opening into the aisle, is an early 15th-century half-arch of two chamfered orders dying on to the wall.
The South Aisle (9¾ ft. wide) has in the S. wall two windows. The eastern of early 14th-century date and of three pointed lights with plain intersecting tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the western window is all modern except the E. splay; the 12th-century S. doorway, apparently re-set in the 13th century, has a two-centred arch of two continuous orders with a moulded label; the outer order has cheveron-ornament and two stones carved with ornament in sunk relief; the roll-moulding of the inner order terminates in modern bases; the doorway has been slightly restored. In the W. wall is an early 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label.
The West Tower (9½ ft. square) is of late 15th-century date and now of two storeys; it is divided externally into four stages and has a moulded plinth and cornice and a stone broach-spire. The two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders dying on to the side walls. The W. window is of two cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head, with a moulded label. The upper storey has in each wall a window of two four-centred lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label. The octagonal broach-spire is of ashlar with two ranges each of four spire-lights; those in the lower range are each of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a gabled head; the windows of the upper range are each of one trefoiled light in a gabled head.
The Roof of the nave is of early 16th-century date and of four bays; it is low-pitched with moulded main timbers, cambered tie-beams with wall-posts and curved braces; the braces have foliated or traceried spandrels. The early 16th-century pent-roof of the N. aisle has moulded main timbers with bosses at the intersections carved with foliage and scrolls; the scrolls are inscribed "Tom" "Rob" "I. Elingtun Siv"(?). The early 16th-century roof of the S. transept is low-pitched and of four bays with moulded main timbers and cambered tie-beams with carved bosses of foliage. The roof of the S. aisle was similar to that of the N. aisle but has been almost completely restored.
Fittings—Bells: five; 3rd by Edward Newcombe, mid 16th-century; 4th by the same founder and inscribed "S. Kateri," early 16th-century. Brackets: In chancel—on E. wall, two, of stone, shaped and chamfered, that on S. now defaced; on N. wall, now defaced and shapeless. Brass and Indent: In tower—to Edward Collins, 1685–6, inscription only, slab with indent of same now outside S. porch. Communion Table: with turned, fluted and enriched legs, top rails with shaped brackets and carved foliage enrichments, plain lower rails, early 17th-century. Font (Plate 8): square tapering bowl with splayed angles and chamfered upper and lower edges, octagonal central and four subsidiary shafts, the latter with moulded and carved capitals and moulded bases, early 13th-century, bowl re-cut and repaired. Piscina: In S. transept—with hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled ogee head, octofoiled drain, 14th-century. Plate: includes 16th-century cup with band of engraved ornament and inscription "For the towne of Wynwyc, 1569," cup perhaps reduced in height, also cover-paten with the same date. Screen: In S. transept—incorporated in modern screens, septfoiled and traceried head and fragment of bratishing, early 16th-century. Seating: In tower—bench with four turned legs moulded upper rails and moulded edge to seat, mid 17th-century. Miscellanea: Built into S.W. side of tower, defaced stone with carving, possibly a boss.
(2). Homestead Moat, 220 yards N.E. of the church.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are variously covered with thatch, tiles, slates or corrugated iron. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks, exposed ceiling-beams and wide fireplaces.
(3). House, on the W. side of the green, 100 yards W. of the church, has been refaced in modern brick. In the N.E. gable is a panel with the date 1659.
(4). House, now Post Office and two tenements, 30 yards N.E. of (3). The E. part of the house was built c. 1600 and the W. portion added late in the 17th century.
(5). Cottage, on the S. side of the green and 20 yards S. of (3), was built c. 1700.
(6). Cottage, E. of (5).
(7). Cottage, on the W. side of lane, 220 yards S.W. of the church.
(8). Cottage, 30 yards W. of (7).