Ashford

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

, 'Ashford', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex, (London, 1937) pp. 2. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/middx/p2 [accessed 27 May 2024].

. "Ashford", in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex, (London, 1937) 2. British History Online, accessed May 27, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/middx/p2.

. "Ashford", An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex, (London, 1937). 2. British History Online. Web. 27 May 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/middx/p2.

In this section

2 ASHFORD (A.e.)

(O.S. 6 in. XXIV, N.E.)

Ashford is a small parish 2½ m. E. of Staines.

Ecclesiastical

(1) Parish Church of St. Matthew, formerly a chapel of Staines, stands near the middle of the parish. It was entirely re-built in 1858 on a new site to the W. of the old church and retains the following ancient:—

Fittings—Bells: three: 1st by Bryan Eldridge, 1620; 2nd by William Eldridge, 1668; both said to have been recast. Brass: On pier of S. arcade—of William Goode, 1522 and Agnes, his wife, figures of man in civil costume, wife, six sons and two daughters.

Secular

(2) Clockhouse Farm, house 250 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th century, but has been much altered. There are two original windows with solid frames and mullions.

Condition—Good.

(3) Ford Farm, house about 1,150 yards S.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built possibly in the 17th century, but was partially burnt in 1716 and has since been altered. The fire is referred to on the church plate, the old plate having perished in it.

Condition—Good.