An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
57 WEMBLEY (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)X, S.E. (b)XI, N.W. (c)XI, S.W.)
Wembley is a large modern parish adjoining Harrow on the E.
a(1) Outbuilding and barn at Hundred Elms Farm, on the E. side of Elms Lane 270 yards N. of Harrow Road. The Outbuilding is now used as a loading-quay and workshop and is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the first half of the 16th century but the lower part of the E. side has been removed. There is a moulded brick string-course or offset between the storeys. In the upper storey are a number of original windows of brick and of three or five lights; the lights have rounded heads in a main square head with a moulded label.
The Barn, S.W. of the above, is of the 17th century, timber-framed and weather-boarded. It is of two bays with aisles.
a(2) Sudbury Court, house on the N. side of Sudbury Court Road 500 yards N.N.W. of (1), is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It is perhaps of 17th-century origin but has been entirely altered and much enlarged in the 18th and 19th centuries.
c(3) Hillside Farm, house on the S. side of the road at Preston, is of two storeys, partly of brick and partly plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the 17th century but has been largely altered and modernised. There is an original chimney-stack on the W. side.
c(4) Lyon's Farm, house on the N. side of the road 100 yards N.N.E. of (3), is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. The house is reputed to be the birthplace of John Lyon, founder of Harrow School; the existing structure however was not built until late in the 17th or early in the 18th century. The S. front is symmetrically designed and has a brick band between the storeys and a moulded eaves-cornice; the windows have flush frames. The back has been refaced. Inside the building is an early 17th-century panelled door.
c(5) Cottage, on the W. side of Clay Lane 250 yards N.E. of (4), is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 18th century.
b(6) Moot-site of the Hundred of Gore, 1,000 yards N.E. of (4), has been identified from a court-roll of 1445. It is a triangular site raised, probably artificially, about 3 ft. above the surrounding level (H. Braun in London and Mid. Arch. Soc. Trans. N.S. vii, 218).