Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(507) Evelyn House and College House, Nos. 49 and 51, on the S. side of the road, demolished in 1965, were two-storeyed with brick walls and slate-covered roofs and were built between 1833 (Reform Act map) and 1854 (Kingdon & Shearm).
(508) Pembroke Lodge, adjacent to the foregoing and now part of the Old Manor Hospital, is two-storeyed with rendered walls and slate-covered roofs. It is not shown on the map of 1833 but appears by style to be of about that date. In the N. front, rounded on plan, the lower storey has a peripteral colonnade of Tuscan columns which support the overhanging first floor. The windows have four-centred heads. The building is named on the map of 1854.
(509) House, No. 20, on the N. of the road, demolished c. 1965, was two-storeyed with rendered brick walls and tiled roofs. It probably was of the late 17th or early 18th century. The original range had a S. front of two bays with three-light sashed windows in the lower storey and with single-light windows above. An E. extension had two plain sashed windows in each storey and was probably of the late 18th century. The N. side was masked by 19th-century additions. Inside, the house had been entirely refitted in the 19th century. The map of 1854 shows the building as divided into two houses.
(510) The Paragon, two nearly uniform pairs of houses in an enclosure on the N. side of the road, does not appear on the map of 1833 but was complete by 1854. The buildings are two-storeyed, with brick walls and low-pitched slate-covered roofs. Each pair of houses has a symmetrical four-bay facade with sashed windows, and square-headed doorways flanked by reeded half-columns. Inside, the principal rooms have moulded ceiling cornices and simple 19th-century joinery.
(511) Llangarren, house, of two storeys with cellars and attics, has brick walls and a low-pitched slate-covered roof. It occupies a central position in The Paragon (510) and is of the same date. The symmetrical S. front is of three bays and the middle window of the principal storey is accentuated by a pediment. As this window is false, it is probable that the building originated as a pair of houses with a common facade, but they are now united and the interior has been entirely remodelled.
(512) The Old Manor, formerly Fisherton House (V.C.H., Wilts. vi, 183), hospital, on the S. of Wilton Road, is of three storeys with rendered walls and lead-covered roofs. The building has been much altered, but it has as its nucleus a 19th-century house shown on the Reform Act map of 1833.
(513) House, adjacent to the foregoing and also adapted for hospital use, was demolished c. 1965. It was two-storeyed with brick walls and a tiled roof and had been built early in the 19th century. Both N. and S. elevations were symmetrical and of three bays.
(514) House, on the S. of the road and now part of the hospital (512), is of two storeys with brick walls and slate-covered roofs. It was built during the first quarter of the 19th century and has a class-U plan. The N. front was originally symmetrical and of three bays, with two-storeyed semicircular bow windows flanking a central doorway. About the middle of the 19th century a three-storeyed porch was added.
(515) Elm Cottage, on the N. of the road, directly opposite the foregoing, was demolished c. 1970. It was two-storeyed with brick walls and a slate-covered roof and was built after 1833 (Reform Act map). A pair of two-storeyed bow windows closely resembling those of the opposite house (514) were added after 1854 (Kingdon & Shearm).
(516) West End Hotel, some 100 yds. W. of the foregoing, is of three storeys with brick walls and tiled roofs. It is mainly of the early 19th century, but parts of an 18th-century cottage are incorporated in the structure.
(517) House, No. 161, on the S. side of the road, ¼ mile W. of the foregoing, is two-storeyed with attics and has brick walls and tiled roofs. The N. range is perhaps of 18th-century origin, but it was extensively altered in the 19th century and later and no notable features remain. The original plan was of class T.