An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
64 MEATHOP AND ULPHA (C.h.)
(O.S. 6 in. XLIV, N.W.)
Meathop and Ulpha is a parish at the head of Morecambe Bay and on the W. border of the county, 10 m. S.S.W. of Kendal.
(1) Meathop Hall, near the middle of the parish, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and retains some original chimney-stacks with cylindrical shafts and some square-headed windows of stone. The main doorway has an ornamental embattled head cut on the face of the lintel and is fitted with an original panelled door. Inside the building some of the ceiling-beams are exposed.
(2) Kate Farm, house 120 yards E.N.E. of (1), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 17th or early 18th century and has a later extension on the S. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and a three-stage cupboard of the local type.