An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
67 MILNTHORPE (D.h.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLII, S.E., (b)XLVI, N.E.)
Milnthorpe is a parish and small town 7 m. S. of Kendal. The 18th-century market-cross retains the iron gyves for the legs, in place of stocks.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(1). Gandy Nook, cottage 30 yards S. of the church, contains a staircase with thick turned balusters.
b(2). Range of two cottages, ¼ m. S.W. of the church, was built probably early in the 18th century and retains two stone windows of that period.
b(3). Park Side, house 700 yards W. of the church, has been extensively altered but retains its original chimney-stacks with cylindrical shafts.
b(4). House, on the S. side of the road at Ackenthwaite and ½ m. E.N.E. of the church, was built probably early in the 18th century and retains one original stone window.
a(5). High Rowell, house 1 m. N.E. of the church, was built perhaps early in the 18th century but has been much altered. It retains some original panelled doors.