An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
25 DALTON (D.h.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLVII, S.W., (b)L, N.E., (c)LI, N.W.)
Dalton is a parish on the S. border of the county 5 m. S.W. of Kirkby Lonsdale.
c(1). Dalton Old Hall, in the S.W. part of the parish, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built c. 1666 with a main block and a N. wing, and has small later additions. The N. chimney-stack has a cylindrical flue. The front doorway has a lintel with the jamb-chamfers carried up to form embattled sinkings on the face; above it are the initials and date R. and E.L. 1666. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams, and the staircase has turned balusters and square newels.
a(2). Henridding, house, ½ m. E.N.E. of (1), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably early in the 18th century and retains two original stone windows. Inside the building is an original fireplace with a corbelled head and cornice and also some panelled doors. The staircase has moulded strings and rails, and moulded balusters of unusual type.
b(3). Deerslack, barn, about 1 m. W. of (1), is of late 18th-century date but incorporates a 17th-century doorway with a shaped head cut on the face of the lintel.