An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


, 'Sleagill', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland, (London, 1936) pp. 213-214. British History Online [accessed 18 May 2024].

. "Sleagill", in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland, (London, 1936) 213-214. British History Online, accessed May 18, 2024,

. "Sleagill", An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland, (London, 1936). 213-214. British History Online. Web. 18 May 2024,

In this section

88 SLEAGILL (E.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. XIV, N.E.)

Sleagill is a parish and small village 4 m. N.E. of Shap.


Monuments (1–8)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good or fairly good.

(1). Sleagill House, at the N.E. end of the village, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and has a later addition on the W. The S. front retains its original windows.

(2). Cottage, on the N. side of the road 70 yards S.W. of (1).

(3). Cottage, 170 yards W.S.W. of (2).

(4). Midtown, house, 130 yards W. of (3), has some altered original windows with moulded labels. The door-lintel has the initials and date H. and H.E. 1670.

(5). Royal Oak Inn, on the S. side of the road 70 yards S.E. of (4).

(6). Crag House, 180 yards S.W. of (1).

(7). Sleagill Head, house and outbuilding ½ m. W.S.W. of (1). The House retains some original windows and a panelled spice-cupboard. There is an early 18th-century fireplace with a corbelled head. The Outbuilding, N. of the house and formerly a dwelling, retains some original windows.

(8). Mill Flat, house and outbuildings 1,100 yards N.N.W. of (1). The House (Plate 20) was built c. 1600 and has 17th-century additions on the N. and S. It retains some original windows. The doorway of the S. addition has a triangular head, with the initials and date T. and M.E. 1666 above. Inside the building are two doorways with ogee heads of wood; there are also a panelled spice-cupboard and a fireplace with a triangular head. The spiral stone staircase is set in a projection on the W. side. The Outbuilding S.E. of the house retains some original windows and two doorways with triangular heads. A second outbuilding, S. of the first, has a similar doorway and others with square heads.