An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
92 STAINTON (D.g.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIX, S.W., (b)XLII, N.E., (c)XLIII, N.W.)
Stainton is a township of Crosscrake 3 m. S. of Kendal. Sellet Hall is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Thomas Crosscrake, formerly a chapel of Heversham, was re-built in 1773 and again in 1875. In the garden of a house at High Barrows Green ¾ m. N. of the church, is part of a pinnacle and half the bowl of a Font said to have come from the church. The bowl was hemispherical and has a crudely carved cherub-head on the surviving side; it is probably of late 17th-century date.
b(2). Stainton Bridge, across the Stainton Beck over 1 m. S. of the church, is of rubble and of one span. The segmental arch has rubble voussoirs. The structure may be as old as the 17th century.
b(3). Bridge, over the same beck, 380 yards N. of (2), is of rubble and appears to have been widened on both faces. It is of one span with a segmental arch and the middle portion may date from the 17th century.
b(4). Pack-horse Bridge (Plate 61), over the same beck 400 yards N.N.E. of (3), is of rubble and of one span. The arch is segmental with rubble voussoirs and the roadway is about 3 ft. wide. It is perhaps of the 17th century.
b(5). Sellet Hall, nearly 1 m. S.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably late in the 16th century with a staircase-wing on the E.; this was raised late in the 17th-century and there are modern additions on the S. The W. front (Plate 92) retains its original mullioned and transomed windows of stone partly with moulded labels. Other original windows survive on the E. side. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and old doors, some with ornamental strap-hinges. The staircase of welltype is enclosed in its lower part; the upper part (Plate 95) has 17th-century symmetrically turned balusters and turned newels with acorn terminals. A small cupboard in the S. room has a 17th-century panelled door.
b(6). Outbuilding, 270 yards E. of (5), is modern but incorporates a 17th-century stone doorway with a shaped and enriched head cut on the face of the lintel.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(7). Crosscrake, house 520 yards S.S.W. of the church, retains some original windows with solid oak frames. Inside the building is some original panelling.
c(8). Skettlegill, house 800 yards S.E. of the church, was built perhaps late in the 16th century. On the W. wall is a re-set stone with an achievement of arms perhaps of Chambers. Inside the building, the N. room retains its open fireplace with side seats and recesses. There is also a 17th-century seat with a high panelled back.
c(9). High House, 1,250 yards N.E. of the church, is largely modern but incorporates an old N. wing. In the modern cellar is an old door studded with pegs to simulate nail-heads.
a(10). Helmside Farm, house 1,100 yards N. of (9).
a(11). Helmside, house 560 yards N.N.E. of (10), contains a muntin and plank partition of the local type.