The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 5. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1798.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
THE next parish eastward from Ulcomb, is situated almost in the middle of this county, and is so called from a family antiently possessors of it, and to distinguish it from the several other parishes of the name of Boughton within this county.
It is written in antient deeds both Boughton and Bocton, and in some, Bocton, alias Boughton, and seems, as well as the other parishes of this name, to have been so called from Boc, signifying in Saxon a charter, and ton, a town or parish; that is, the place held by charter. So much of this parish as is eastward of a line drawn from the church of it across, through the middle of Chilston-house to Lenham church, is in the lath of Shipway, and in the division of East Kent.
The summit of the hill, which crosses this parish from west to east, is the northern boundary of the Weald of Kent; so much of it, therefore, as is southward of that line, is within that district.
But a very small-part of this parish lies above, or northward of the quarry hills, in which part the soil is a deep unfertile sand, at the northern boundary of it, at a place called Sandway, the high road runs from Ashford towards Maidstone, the pales of Chilston park join it, the mansion of which stands about a quarter of a mile within it, on lower ground, rather in a damp and wet situation, but well cloathed round it with trees, behind it the ground rises to the hills, near the summit of which is the church, and not far distant eastward the parsonage, a good habitation; close to the church-yard westward are the small remains of Boughton-place, by no means an unpleasant situation, the greatest part of which has been pulled down many years ago, andwhat is left of it, though only sufficient for a farm-house, gives a strong idea of what it once was. Here the quarry rock abounds pretty near the surface, and from the church here southward the Weald begins, the lands above and below the hill being distinguished by the names of Boughton upland, and Boughton Weald, in like manner as the other parishes in the same situation. From the church southward the hill declines, and not far from the bottom of it is the village, or to say more properly, the hamlet of Grassley-green, and not far from it Eastwood common, with another smaller hamlet of houses on the lower side of it. Hence the parish extends over an unpleasant country, very flat and deep; the soil a miry stiff clay, the same in every particular as those parts of the adjoining parishes last described, which lie below these hills, continuing over it for more than three miles, till it joins Hedcorne and Smarden, the whole being watered by several small streamlets, which run into the larger one at Hedcorne; about a mile only from this boundary of the parish is the scite of Colbridge-castle, the mote and foundations of which are all that remain of it.
Dr. Plot mentions in his MSS. collections for a natural history of this county, some petrified oyster shells, being found at Chilston, which were larger than even those of Cyzicum, mentioned in Pliny to be the largest of any then known. (fn. 1)
AT THE TIME of taking the general survey of Domesday, about the year 1080, this manor was held of the archbishop of Canterbury, by knights service, and seems to have been included in the donation which Æthelstan Etheling gave by his will in 1015, to Christ-church, in Canterbury, of lands in Hollingborne, as will more plainly appear by the following entry of it in that record.
In Haithorne hundred, Ralph Fitzturald holds Boltone of the archbishop. It was taxed at balf a suling, and lies in the six sulings of Holingeborne. The arable land is one carucate and an half. In demesne there is one carucate, and three villeins, with two borderers having one carucate. There is a church, and two acres of meadow, and wood for the pannage of sixteen hogs. In the whole it is, and was, worth separately forty shillings.
The above description plainly relates to that small part of this parish above or northward of the hill, the otherpart below it in the Weald, at that time, being for the most part, an uncultivated forest, and part of the royal demesnes of the crown of England, though many grants had been made of different parts of it, even at that time.
The manor came afterwards into the possession of the family of Malherb, who implanted their name on this parish. Robert de Malherb held it in the reign of king John, of the archbishop of Canterbury, as appears by the roll of knights fees returned to the king's treasurer, in the twelfth and thirtenth years of that reign.
Alicia Malherb possessed Boughton Malherb manor in the beginning of the next reign of king Henry III.
Robert de Gatton, son of Robert de Gatton, who was one of the Recognitores Magne Assisæ, or judges of the great assise, in the second year of king John, and bore for his arms, Chequy, or and azure, died possessed of this manor in the thirty-eighth year of king Henry III. and was succeeded in it by Hamo his son, who died possessed of it in the twentieth year of king Edward I. holding it of the king in capite, as of the honor of Peverel, and by the service of ward to the castle of Dover, and by suit to the court of Osprenge from three weeks to three weeks, Hamo his son, being his heir, who left his two daughters his coheirs; of whom Elizabeth married to William de Dene, entitled her husband to the possession of this manor. He died in the fifteenth year of king Edward III. possessed of it, with the advowson of the church, as of the inheritance of Elizabeth his wife, having, in the tenth year of king Edward II. obtained a charter of free-warren to his lands here.
His eldest son, Thomas de Dene, died possessed of it in the twenty-third year of king Edward III. bearing for his arms, Argent, a fess dancette, gules. He left by Martha his wife, daughter of Benedict Shelving, four daughters his coheirs, of whom Martha, afterwards was married to Sir John Gousall, who bore for his arms, A plain shield azure.
Soon after his death this manor, by what means I have not discovered, came into the possession of Robert Corbie, who appears to have built a stately mansion here, having in the 36th year of Edward III. obtained the king's licence so to do, and to fortify this his manor-house at Boughton with embattlements and towers, according to the defence of those times. His son Robert Corbye, esq. of this place, kept his shrievalty here in the 8th year of Richard II. He left by Alice, daughter and coheir of Sir John Gousall before-mentioned, an only daughter and heir, Joane, who carried this manor in marriage to Nicholas Wotton, esq. whose descendants flourished in this parish for many generations afterwards, and for their learning, fortune, and honors, at times when honors were really such, may truly be said to have been ornaments to their country in general, and to this county in particular. Mr. Wotton was of the Draper's company, and was twice lord-mayor of London, at which time he bore for his arms, Argent, a cross patee, sitched at the foot, sable, quartered with Corbye, Argent, a saltire ingrailed sable, which arms of Corbye, his mother's, his son bore, in preference to his own, as the elder branch of this family, which, his descendants continued to do for some time afterwards. Stow says, it was reckoned a privilege for any one, who had been lord-mayor and alderman of London, not to serve the king, without his own consent, in any other part of the kingdom. Such a matter once happened in the reign of Henry VI. for Nicholas Wotton, some time mayor and alderman, living in Kent, stood upon this privilege, and refused to serve when he was impanelled with others before the judges of assize, in this county, upon articles touching the king's peace, and on pretence of the liberty of the city of London, refused to be sworn. But this was held as a contempt, and he afterwards had his pardon anno 17 Henry VI. (fn. 2) He retired to Boughton place, where he died in 1448, and was buried in the church here. His grandson, Sir Robert Wotton, was lieutenant of Guisnes, and comptroller of Calais, where he died, and was buried in the church there. He had been sheriff anno 14 Henry VII. and married Anne, one of the sisters and coheirs of Sir Edward Belknap, by whom he left two sons, Edward, his heir, and Henry, LL. D. afterwards dean of York and Canterbury, of whom more may be seen under the account of the deans of the latter cathedral, in which he lies buried.
Sir Edward Wotton, the eldest son, succeeded him here, who was treasurer of Calais, and of the privy council to Henry VIII. and Hollingshed says, the king offered to make him lord chancellor, which, through his great modesty, he refused. In the 27th year of king Henry VIII. he kept his shrievalty at Boughton-place, and procured his lands to be disgavelled by both the acts of the 31st Henry VIII. and 2d and 3d Edward VI. He died in 1550, being then possessed of the manor and rectory of Boughton Malherb, held in capite, as of the king's manor of Ospringe, the manor of Colbridge, and the manor of Byndwardsmarsh, together with other lands purchased of Henry VIII. and held in capite by knights service, with many other manors and lands, as mentioned in the inquisition then taken.
Thomas Wotton, esq. his eldest son, succeeded him in Boughton-place, where he resided. He was closely imprisoned in the Fleet, in 1553, by queen Mary, under pretence of his religion, but really at the request of his uncle, Dr. Nicholas Wotton, on account of a dream he had had in France, where he was then ambassador, and this in all likelihood saved Mr. Wotton's life: for whilst he was in prison, Wyat's rebellion broke out, in which he had most probably been concerned, had he not been confined there. He was twice sheriff, and in July 1573, being the 16th year of queen Elizabeth's reign had the honor of entertaining the queen, with her whole court, at his seat here, in her progress through this county. Walton says, that the queen, when at Boughton, offered to knight Mr. Wotton, as an earnest of some more honorable and profitable employment under her, which he declined, being unwilling to change his country retirement and recreations for a courtier's life; however, it appears by his epitaph, that he afterwards accepted of that honor. He resided here till his death, in 1587, having been remarkable for his hospitality; a great lover and much beloved of his country, a cherisher of learning, and besides his own abilities, possessed of a plentiful estate, and the antient interest of his family.
He was twice married; by his first wife he had Edward his heir, and other children; by his second he had only one son Henry, afterwards knighted, and provost of Eton college. (fn. 3)
He was succeeded here by his eldest surviving son, Sir Edward Wotton, who was employed by queen Elizabeth, as her ambassador, on several occasions; after which he was made comptroller of her houshold; represented this county in parliament, and served the office of sheriff in the 36th year of that reign. In the 1st year of king James I.'s reign he was created lord Wotton, baron of Merley, in this county; (fn. 4) and next year he was appointed lord lieutenant of it, a privy counsellor, and afterwards comptroller and treasurer of the houshold. He inclosed the grounds round his house here as a park, but they have been long since again disparked, and died in 1628, being succeeded by Thomas, lord Wotton, his only son, who died two years afterwards. It has been observed that Nicholas Wotton, esq. son of Sir Nicholas Wotton, by Joane, daughter and heir of Corbye, bore his mother's arms in preference to his own, as his descendants of the eldest branch seem to have done, till Thomas, lord Wotton, as appears by his arms on his grave-stone, reassumed the arms of Wotton in his first quartering again, which was followed by his four daughters and coheirs, and Guillim says, that argent, a saltire (engraited) sable, was borne by the name of Wotton, and was in effect confirmed to Edward Wotton, esq. being allowed, and with his quarterings, being seventeen in number, marshalled, by Robert Cooke, in 1580. He left four daughters his coheirs, Catherine, married to Henry, lord Stanhope, son and heir of Philip, earl of Chesterfield; Hester, to Baptist Noel, viscount Camden; Margaret, to Sir John Tuston, of the Mote, knight and baronet, and Anne, to Sir Edward Hales, of Tunstal.
On the partition of his estates among his daughters, the manor of Boughton, with the mansion of Boughton-place, and the advowson of the rectory, were, among other estates, allotted to the eldest daughter, the lady Catherine, in whose right her husband, Henry, lord Stanhope, became possessed of them. He was descended from ancestors seated in early times in the county of Nottingham, where they flourished with much eminence and renown, bearing for their arms, quarterly, Ermine and gules. After a succession of many generations of them, Michael Stanhope became the heir male of this family in the reign of Henry VIII. whose grandson, Sir John Stanhope, was first of Shelford, and afterwards of Elvaston, in Derbyshire, where he died in 1611, leaving by his first wife, one son Philip; by his second wife he had several sons and daughters; of whom, Sir John, the eldest, was seated at Elvaston, from whom the present earl of Harrington is descended. Sir Philip Stanhope, eldest son of Sir John, was, anno 14 James I. 1616, created lord Stanhope of Shelford, and afterwards in 1628 Earl of Chesterfield. Continuing stedfast in his loyalty to the king, his house was by storm burnt to the ground, and the earl being taken prisoner at Litchfield, endured a long confinement, and died in 1656. By his first wife he had eleven sons and four daughters, of the former, Henry, the second, but eldest surviving son, married Katherine, daughter and coheir of Thomas, lord Wotton, and possessed Boughton Malherb as before-mentioned.
He died in the life-time of his father in 1635, leaving his wife surviving, and one son, Philip, then a year old. The lady Catherine Stanhope, on her husband's death, became again possessed in her own right of this estate, among the rest of her inheritance, and was after wards created countess of Chesterfield, to hold during her life. She had before the death of king Charles I. remarried John Vanden Kerkhoven, lord of Henulflet in Holland, by whom she had a son Charles Henry Kerkhoven, who was, by reason of his mother's descent, created lord Wotton, baron Wotton of Boughton Malherb, and was naturalized. He was likewise created earl of Bellamont in Ireland, and bore for his arms, Argent, three hearts gules. He died s. p. having resided at Boughton-place, and was buried in Canterbury cathedral in 1683, having by his will given this, among the rest of his estates, to his nephew Charles Stanhope, younger son of his half-brother Philip, then earl of Chesterfield; remainder to Philip, lord Stanhope, eldest son and heir apparent of his brother; remainder to his brother Philip, earl of Chesterfield, with divers remainders over, in tail male.
Charles Stanhope, esq. upon this changed his surname to Wotton, being the last of this family who resided at Boughton-place, where he died in 1704, s. p. Upon which this estate came by the above entail to Philip, lord Stanhope, his elder brother, who on his father's death in 1713, succeeded as earl of Chesterfield, and died in 1726. His eldest son Philip Dormer Stanhope, earl of Chesterfield, became remarkable for the brilliancy of his wit, and the politeness of his manners. He was an eminent statesman, and much in favor with king George I. and II. who conferred on him from time to time several offices and trusts of honor and advantage, in all which he shewed his eminent abilities and public spirit, whenever the interest and honor of his country was concerned, but at length his health declining, he retired from all public business. However, before this period he passed away this manor, with the scite of Boughton-place, and the advowson of the rectory appendant to the manor, and all the rest of the Wotton estates in this part of the county, by the description of the heriotable manor of Bocton, alias Boughton Malherbe, the manors of Burscombe, Wardens, alias Egerton, Southerdon, Colbridge, Marley, alias Marleigh, Sturry, East Farborne, Holmill, alias Harrietsham, and Fill, in 1750, to Galfridus Mann, esq. of London. This family is descended from ancestors seated at Ipswich, in Suffolk, of whom Edward Mann, esq. was comptroller of the customs at that place, who bore for his arms, Sable on a fess counter embattled, between three goats passant argent, as many ogresses; which was confirmed to him by Byshe, clarencieux, in 1692. His descendant, Robert Mann, was of London, and afterwards of Linton, in this county, esq. who died in 1752, leaving five sons and three daughters, Edward Louisa, the eldest son, was of Linton, esq. where he died unmarried in 1775, and was succeeded in his estates in this county by his brother, Sir Horatio Mann, bart. and K. B. who was the second son, and was many years resident at Florence, as envoy extraordinary. On March 3, 1755, he was created a baronet, to him and his heirs male, and in default of such issue, to his brother Galfridus, and his heirs male, he died unmarried in 1786, and was succeeded in title and estate by his nephew Sir Horace Mann, whose father was Galfridus, the third son, who was purchaser of Boughton manor, as before-mentioned. Of the daughters of Robert Mann, Eleanor married Sir John Torriano, of London, merchant, by whom she had issue; Mary-married Benjamin Hatley Foote, esq. (fn. 5) and Catherine married the Rev. Francis Hender Foote. Galfridus Mann, esq. died possessed of this estate in 1756, leaving by Sarah his wife, daughter of John Gregory, of London, one son, Horatio, and three daughters, viz. Alice, married to Mr. Apthorpe; Sarah, who died unmarried; Catherine, married to the hon. and Rev. Dr. Cornwallis now bishop of Litchfield, next brother to marquis Cornwallis, and Eleanor, married to Thomas Powis, lord Lilford.
Horatio Mann, esq. succeeded his father in the possession of this estate, of which he is the present owner. He was afterwards knighted, being then stiled Sir Horace Mann, to distinguish him from his uncle Sir Horatio, on whose death he succeeded him in the title of baronet. He has been twice M. P. for Maidstone, as he is now for the town and port of Sandwich. He married in 1765 lady Lucy Noel, sister of Thomas, earl of Gainsborough, who died at Nice in 1778, by whom he has three daughters, Lucy, Emely, and Harriot, the eldest of whom is married to James Mann, esq. of Linton-place; the second to Robert Heron, esq. of Lincolnshire.
Wormsell has always been counted as an appendage to the manor of Boughton.
COLBRIDGE antiently called Colewebregges, is an eminent manor in this parish, the mansion of which, called Colbridge-castle, stood below the hill towards Egerton, considerable remains of its former strength being visible in the ruins of it, even at this time; and the report of the country is, that the stones and other materials of this ruined mansion were made use of, ages ago, to build Boughton-place.
In the reign of king Henry III. this place was in the possession of the family of Peyforer; one of whom, Fulk de Peyforer, obtained a charter of free-warren for his lands at Colewebrugge in the 32d year of king Edward I. (fn. 6) and he had licence in the 7th year of the next reign of king Edward II. to embattle, that is, to build and fortify in a castle like manner, his mansion here. Soon after which it seems to have passed into the family of Leyborne, who had long before this possessions in this parish, and William de Clinton, earl of Huntingdon, husband to Juliana, daughter of Thomas de Leyborne, died possessed of it in the 28th year of king Edward III. She survived him, and afterwards became again possessed of it in her own right, and continued so at her death, anno 41 Edward III. when there being found no one who could claim consanguinity to her, this manor, among the rest of her estates, escheated to the crown, where it remained till the beginning of king Richard II's. reign, when it became vested in John, Duke of Lancaster, and other feoffees in trust, for the performance of certain religious bequests in the will of Edward III. then lately deceased. In consequence of which, the king afterwards, in his 21st year, granted it, among other premises, to the dean and canons of St. Stephen's college in Westminster, for ever, for the performance of the religious purposes therein mentioned, and in part of the exoneration of the sum of 500l. to be taken at his treasury till he should in such manner provide for them.
In which situation this manor continued till the 1st year of king Edward VI. when an act passing for the surrendry of all free chapels, chantries, &c. this, among others, was soon afterwards dissolved, and the lands and possessions of it were surrendered into the king's hands, at which time it appears to have been in the tenure of William Hudson, at the yearly rent of 8l. 13s. 4d. The year afterwhich, the king granted it to Sir Edward Wotton, to hold in capite, who died possessed of it in the 5th year of that reign, holding it in manner as above mentioned. After which, it passed through the like succession of ownership as Boughton manor before described, down to Philip Dormer Stanhope, earl of Chesterfield, who in 1750 sold it, with the rest of the Wotton estates in this part of the county, to Galfridus Mann, esq. whose only son Sir Horace Mann, bart. is the present possessor of it.
CHILSON, or Chilston, is a manor, situated in the borough of Sandway, at the north-west boundary of this parish, which crosses the middle of this house, the eastern part of which is in the parish of Lenham, lath of Shipway, and eastern division of this county. It was antiently called Childeston, and was in the reign of king Henry I. part of the possessions of William Fitz-Hamon, as appears by the register of the neighbouring priory of Ledes. After which it became the property of the family of Hoese, afterwards called. Hussey. Henry Hoese or Husley had a charter of free-warren for his manor of Childerston in the 55th year of king Henry III. before which he had taken an active part with the rebellious barons against that king. He died in the 18th year of king Edward I. leaving by Joane his wife, daughter and coheir of Alard Fleming, and niece of that noted pluralist John Maunsell, provost of Beverly, &c. Henry Hussee his son and heir, who, in the 23d year of that reign, had summons to Parliament, as he had likewise in all the succeeding ones of it, and of the next of king Edward II. in whose descendants it continued down to Henry Husley, who in the 31st year of Henry VIIIths. reign, procured his lands to be disgavelled by the general act passed that year, and afterwards transmitted it by sale to John Parkhurst, whose descendant Sir William Parkhurst alienated it to Mr. Richard Northwood, of Dane-court, in Thanet, whose eldest son Alexander Northwood, or Norwood, as he was usually called, was of St. Stephen's, near Canterbury, and succeeded his father in this manor, which he sold soon after the death of king Charles I. to Cleggat, and he again sold it to Mr. Manley, of London, who quickly afterwards alienated it to Edward Hales, esq. who was the son of Samuel Hales, a younger son of Sir Edward Hales, created a baronet in 1611. He afterwards resided at Chilston, and died in 1696, leaving his three daughters his coheirs, viz. Thomasine, wife of Gerard Gore, gent. Elizabeth Hales, and Frances, wife of William Glanville, esq. of London, who in 1698 joined in the conveyance of this manor, with other estates in this parish and neighbourhood, to the hon. Elizabeth Hamilton, the eldest daughter of John lord Colepeper, and widow of James Hamilton, esq. the eldest son of Sir George Hamilton, of Tyrone, in Ireland.
She resided at Chilston, and dying here in 1709, was buried in Hollingborne church, leaving two sons surviving; James, earl of Abercorn, and William Hamilton, esq. to the latter of whom she gave by her will this manor, with her other estates in this county. He resided at Chilston, and died possessed of it in 1737, leaving by Margaret his wife, daughter of Sir Thomas Colepeper, of Hollingborne, four sons and one daughter; of whom, John Hamilton, esq. the eldest, succeeded him at Chilston, where he resided and inclosed the ground round it for a park, bestowing much cost on the improvement both of the house and grounds adjoining to it. He kept his shrievalty here in 1719, and afterwards with the concurrence of his eldest son William, joined in the sale of this estate to Thomas Best, esq. the eldest son of Mawdistley Best, esq. of Boxley, who resided at Chilston, the mansion of which he rebuilt, and made other very considerable improvements to the park, and grounds. He died in 1795, s. p. having married Caroline, daughter of George Scott, esq. of Scott's hall, who died in 1782, and by his will gave this among his other estates to his nephew George, the youngest son of his brother James Best, esq. of Boxley and Chatham, who now resides here, He was M. P. for Rochester in the last parliament. and in 1784 married Caroline, daughter of Edward Scott, esq. of Scott's-hall, by whom he has several children.
THE TYTHES of the manor of Chilston, or Childeston, were given to the priory of Leeds soon after the foundation of it, by William Fitz-Hamon, the owner of it; viz. in corn, fruit, hay fowls, calves, flax, pannage, cheeses, pigs, and in all other things which belonged to the demesne, to Edwin de Bletchindenne, with his tenancy, to hold as freely as he ever held it. (fn. 7)
This portion of tithes remained part of the possessions of the priory till the dissolution of it in the reign of Henry VIII. when it was surrendered into the king's hands, among other estates belonging to it. After which the king, by his dotation charter in his 33d year settled this portion of tithes on his new-founded dean and chapter of Rochester, who now possess the inheritance of it. George Best, esq. of Chilston, is the present lessee of it.
On the intended dissolution of deans and chapters, after the death of king Charles I. these tithes were surveyed in 1649, by order of the state; when it was returned, that this portion consisted of all the tithes of corn, grain, hay, wool, lambs, calves, and other spiritual obventions and duties, arising out of the manor of Chilston, in Boughton Malherbe and Lenham, of the yearly improved value of fourteen pounds, which premises were let by the dean and chapter, anno 15 Charles I. to Richard Norwood, esq. for twenty-one years, at the yearly rent of ten shillings, so that there remained the clear yearly rent of 13l. 10s.
BEWLEY is a manor in this parish, of considerable repute, extending itself into the parish of Harrietsham. It was antiently called Boughley, and was part of those possessions which William the Conqueror gave to his half-brother Odo, bishop of Baieux; under the general title of whose lands it is thus entered in Domesday:
Adam Fitzbubert holds of the bishop of Baieux, Bogelei. It was taxed at two sulings. The arable land is two carucates and an half. In demesne there is one carucate, and two villeins, with two borderers having half a carucate. There is a church, and four servant:, and one mill of five shillings, and six acres of meadow. Wood for the pannage of twenty hogs.
After which there follows another entry, importing, that of this same manor one tenant named Adam held one suling, called Merlea, of which a further account will be given, under the description of Marley, in the adjoining parish of Harrietsham.
On the bishop of Baieux's disgrace in 1084, all his possessions were confiscated to the crown; after which this manor appears to have become the property of Eudo Dapiser, and afterwards of Philip de Leleburne, or Leyburne, whose descendant Robert de Leiburne held it in the reign of king Edward I. in which name it continued till it was alienated to Tregoze, (fn. 8) one of whom, Thomas Tregoze, held it in the beginning of king Edward III.'s reign, in the 5th year of which he obtained a charter of free warren for his lands at Boggeleye. John Tregoze died possessed of this manor in the 5th year of Henry IV. but it did not remain long in that name; for in the reign of Henry VI. it was become the property of Goldwell, from whence it was alienated to Atwater, of Lenham, from whence by Joane, daughter and coheir of Robert Atwater, of Royton, in that parish, it went in marriage to Humphry Hales, esq. of the Dungeon, in Canterbury, who had a numerous issue by her. He was succeeded in it by his eldest son Sir James Hales, of the Dungeon, whose son Cheney Hales, esq. of the Dungeon, passed it away to his kinsman John Hales, esq. eldest son of Sir Edward Hales, created a baronet in 1611. He parted with it to his brother Mr. Samuel Hales, whose son Edward Hales, esq. of Chilston, succeeded him in it. Since which it has passed in like manner as Chilston, before described, down to George Best, esq. of Chilston, the present possessor of it.
THE TITHES of this manor were given by Eudo Dapifer to Anschetill, archdeacon of Canterbury, who afterwards, with the consent of Eudo, granted them to the priory of St. Andrew, in Rochester. These tithes were afterwards confirmed to the priory on the payment annually of five shillings to the monks of Colchester. Henry de Leiburne, possessor of this manor, having inspected the charters of his ancestors, confirmed these tithes in pure alms to the church of St. Andrew, and the monks of Rochester.
This portion of tithes remained with the priory till the dissolution of it, in the 32d year of Henry VIII. when it was, among the rest of the possessions of that monastery, surrendered into the king's hands, who in his 33d year settled them, by his dotation charter, on his new-erected dean and chapter of Rochester, part of whose inheritance they remain at this time. George Best, esq. of Chilston, is the present lessee of them.
On the intended dissolution of deans and chapters, soon after the death of king Charles I. this portion was surveyed, by order of the state, in 1649; when it was returned, that these tithes arose out of the manor of Bugley, together with the tithe of the mill, called Bugley-mill, of the improved yearly value of nine pounds, which premises were let by the dean and chapter in the 10th year of Charles I. to Samuel Hales, esq. for twentyone years, at the yearly rent of two quarters of malt heaped, and one capon, or two shillings in money; so there remained clear the rent of 5l. 14s. per annum.
There are no parochial charities. The poor constantly relieved are about forty, casually twenty-five.
BOUGHTON is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of Charing.
The church is a handsome building, with a square tower steeple at the west end. The inside of it is much ornamented by the several monuments of the Wotton family, most of whom lie buried in it; but there was one of them, a large pyramid of black marble, supported by three lions couchant, on a deep base, erected to the memory of Henry, lord Stanhope, his widow lady Catherine, countess of Chesterfield, her third husband Daniel O'Neal, and several of her children, which was injudiciously placed just within the altar rails eastward, and filled up almost the whole space of it, but has lately been taken down to make room for an altar and railing. In the south chancel there is a very antient figure in Bethersden marble of a man in armour lying cross-legged with his shield and sword. It lies on the pavement, and seems to have been removed from some other part of the church. On the opposite side of the chancel is the figure of a woman, full as antient as the, former, and of the like marble, but fixed in the pavement, these most probably were in memory of one of the family of Peyforer and his wife.
The families of Hales and Hamilton, both of Chilston, and all their children, were christened and married in Boughton church, but were all buried from time to time in Lenham church.
The church of Boughton has always been esteemed as an appendage to the manor, and as such is now the property of Sir Horace Mann, bart. In 1578 there were one hundred and eight communicants here.
This rectory is valued in the king's books at 13l. 15s. and the yearly tenths at 1l. 7s. 6d.
In 1640 it was valued at seventy pounds. Communicants one hundred and ninety-seven.
Church of Boughton Malherb.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Lords of Boughton manor.||Christopher Porter, in 1494.|
|Richard Elmstone, obt. 1611.|
|Robert Barrell, A. M. June 21, 1611.|
|Lewis Morgan, obt.|
|Lionel Sharpe, S. T. P. obt. Jan. 1, 1630. (fn. 9)|
|Thomas Johnson, 1653.|
|Robert Ellis, A. M. Oct. 24, 1661, obt. 1675.|
|Michael Stanhope, A. M. March 12, 1675, obt. Sept. 1724. (fn. 10)|
|Richard Otway, 1724, obt. 1750.|
|Francis Hender Foote, LL. B. January 1751, obt. Jan. 27, 1773. (fn. 11)|
|James Cornwallis, S. T. P. 1773, resig. 1779. (fn. 12)|
|Edward Beckingham Benson, B. A. 1779, refig. 1782. (fn. 13)|
|Robert Foote, A. M. the present rector. (fn. 14)|