The hundred of Cornilo: Introduction

The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1800.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Edward Hasted, 'The hundred of Cornilo: Introduction', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9, (Canterbury, 1800), pp. 549. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol9/p549 [accessed 15 June 2024].

Edward Hasted. "The hundred of Cornilo: Introduction", in The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9, (Canterbury, 1800) 549. British History Online, accessed June 15, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol9/p549.

Hasted, Edward. "The hundred of Cornilo: Introduction", The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9, (Canterbury, 1800). 549. British History Online. Web. 15 June 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol9/p549.

THE HUNDRED OF CORNILO

LIES the next northward from that of Bewsborough. It is written in the survey of Domesday, both Cornelai and Cornelest; but in the 7th year of king Edward I. it was called by its present name.

In this hundred was a water, called Gestling, since called the north stream, which running from near Howe-bridge, in Norborne, flowed from thence through the marshes, and entered the sea below Sandwich. In this water, the selons, condemned to death within this hundred, suffered judgment by drowning.

THIS HUNDRED CONTAINS WITHIN THE BOUNDS OF ITTHE PARISHES OF
1. EAST LANDON.
2. SUTTON.
3. RIPPLE.
4. GREAT MONGEHAM.
5. LITTLE MONGEHAM.
6. NORBORNE. And
7. SHOLDON.

And the churches of those parishes. Two constables have jurisdiction over it, who are elected annually at the court leet, held for the manor of Norborne.

The upper half hundred contains the parishes of Great Mongeham, Norborne, and Sholdon. The lower half hundred contains East Langdon, Sutton, Ripple, and Little Mongeham.

This hundred likewise contained formerly the town and parish of Deal, the parish of. Walmer, and the parish of Ringwold with the hamlet of Kingsdowne; all three long since united to the jurisdiction of the cinque ports, as will be mentioned further hereafter.