Survey of London: Volume 13, St Margaret, Westminster, Part II: Whitehall I. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1930.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
CHAPTER 20: THE LOTTERY OFFICE (DEMOLISHED).
Immediately south of the Banqueting House, and occupying the site of portions of the Privy Gallery (including the Lord Keeper's rooms as shown on the plan of 1670, and the Adam and Eve staircase) and Privy Garden, was the building which, at least as early as 1722, (fn. n1) was known as the Lottery Office. (fn. n2) On the widening of the road between the Banqueting House and King Street Gate, and the removal of the gun-platform, in 1723, the Lottery Office came to front the newly-widened thoroughfare. A good view of the building in 1746 is contained in Plate 7.
In 1732, when the old Treasury was pulled down for the erection of Kent's new building, the Treasury Commissioners removed temporarily to the Lottery Office. (fn. n3) The new Treasury was finished in 1736, and in 1742 it was decided to fit up "the rooms in the Privy Garden where the Treasury was lately kept" as an office for the secretary of state. It was at first suggested that a room, 56 feet long, on the ground floor, should be provided with presses and shelves, and that the articles belonging to the Lottery Office should be cleared away, but it was finally decided, on the score of expense, to omit the item, and allow "the wheels & other things belonging to the Lottery Office" to remain there. (fn. n4) The wheels (fn. n5) were subsequently removed to sheds on the south side of the building (see p. 223).
The premises remained in the occupation of the Secretary of State until 1771. (fn. n6) In December of that year Peter Burrell obtained a grant of the ground adjoining, on which the lottery wheels had been stored, and in January, 1772, orders were given for them to be placed in the building. (fn. n7)
In 1788 Henry Holland, architect to the Duke of York, applied (fn. n8) on the latter's behalf for permission to purchase "the house in Privy Gardens lately used as an office for the Commissioners of the Lottery," and to enclose a small piece of Privy Garden lying to the east. The report on the application stated that "the lower part of the building is still in the possession of the Commissioners … whose officers state that they have no other place for the custody of the lottery wheels until the new Lottery Office in Somerset Place shall be ready." About four years later the duke renewed his application (fn. n9) in connection with a request for a new lease of the house (afterwards Dover House) which he had purchased, on the other side of the road. The application was granted, and the duke forthwith pulled down the old building and erected stables on the site. A view of them is given in the illustration of the Banqueting House on p. 127. They lasted until 1893. On 6th June in that year the Prince of Wales (afterwards King Edward VII) laid the memorial stone of the new premises of the Royal United Service Institution, and on 20th February, 1895, opened the building. (fn. n10)