Survey of London: Volume 21, the Parish of St Pancras Part 3: Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1949.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(formerly Clarence Market)
Clarence Gardens were planned by Nash as the second market but developed into a residential square (oblong in proportions) divided into two gardens by Osnaburgh Street. The houses surrounding it, which are now derelict or have already disappeared, were unpretentious, being of three storeys of stock brick above and a plastered rusticated facing on the ground floor. The first floor was the principal one with larger sash windows than above and below. The houses in the eastern section had semicircular-headed windows and doors in the continuous plastered ground storey, while in the western section both windows and doors had horizontal heads. The centre part of both east and west side was emphasized by a slightly bolder treatment, the windows to the upper floors being larger (one instead of two to each house) and furnished with prominent architraves. Those on the west end had balconies in addition. The original leases of the houses date from 1824. (See Plate 76.)