Survey of London: Volume 36, Covent Garden. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1970.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Southampton Street and Tavistock Street Area
The Western Part of the area described in this chapter was occupied in the seventeenth century by Bedford House, garden and stables. In 1705–6 Bedford House was demolished, and Southampton Street, Tavistock Row and the western part of Tavistock Street were laid out over the site, which was often referred to as Bedford Ground.
Most of the eastern part of the area, including Exeter House, was owned by the Cecil family.
The eastern part of the present Tavistock Street, formerly York Street, is described in Chapter VIII, pages 196–9.