Survey of London: Volume 36, Covent Garden. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1970.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
APPENDIX III: LEASES OF THE PIAZZA AND SURROUNDING STREETS WITHIN THE AREA OF THE BRICK BOUNDARY WALL, 1631–7
This table is designed to be used in conjunction with the estate plan, fig. 45 in the end pocket of this volume. The house numbers in the first column are derived from an estate plan of 1795 and Horwood's map of 1799. The second column contains the present numbers or the name of the present building on the site. All leases were granted by Francis, fourth Earl of Bedford. The names and dates of residence of the first occupants are believed to be correct but the early ratebooks are often extremely confused and where it has proved impossible to interpret them with any certainty the first occupant has been omitted from the table.
Sources. Bedford estate leases, rentals and accounts, all now deposited in the Greater London Record Office (E/BER); Chancery Proceedings in the Public Record Office; parish ratebooks in Westminster City Library.
* workmen also employed in building the north-east range of the portico buildings (Nos. 13–19 on fig. 45).
† workmen also employed in building St. Paul's Church.
APPENDIX III LEASES OF BEDFORD GROUND, 1706–14
All leases were granted by Wriothesley, second Duke of Bedford, until his death on 26 May 1711. Thereafter they were granted by the trustees of Wriothesley, the third Duke.
The house numbers are derived from a Bedford estate plan of 1795. Southampton Court is now part of Maiden Lane.
Sources. Bedford estate leases and a survey of 1759 (for house signs), all now deposited in the Greater London Record Office (E/BER); parish ratebooks in Westminster City Library.
The layout of Bedford Ground is shown on fig. 32 (p. 208).
|TAVISTOCK ROW: WEST TO EAST|
|14||2 Jan. 1706/7||61 from 25 March 1706||16||10||22'||John Rowley||gentleman||St. Paul's||building one messuage (fn. 1)||lessee||1707–8|
|13||24 Nov. 1714||61 from 24 June 1714||8||—||16'||Gray Sambach||plumber||do.||do.||Mr. Christian Frederick Zincke||1715–48|
|12||do.||do.||4||—||do.||John Prince junior||bricklayer||do.||do.||Mr. Robert Sedgwick||1715–19|
|10||17 June 1712||59 from 25 March 1713||11||8||19'||William Long||gentleman||St. Marylebone||building one messuage||Mr. Jo Nicholls||1712–13|
|9||Acorn||do.||61 from 25 March 1712||8||—||16' 2"||do.||do.||do.||do.||Mrs. Ann Ludlam||1713–33|
|8||18 May 1713||58 from 29 Sept. 1712||20||—||26'||Nicholas Launce||do.||St. Paul's||building three messuages (two behind)||Mr. Griffith Pugh||1712–16|
|7||See No. 8||behind No. 8||Mrs. Elizabeth Wall||1712–15|
|6||7 July 1707||61 from 25 March 1706||27||10||22'||John Leader||cooper||do.||building one messuage||lessee||1708–13|
|5||28 July 1712||59 from 25 March 1712||15||—||20'||John Vander Vaart||gentleman||do.||do.||lessee||1711–26|
|4||18 April 1707||61 from 25 March 1707||12||—||20'||John Phillips||citizen and bricklayer of London||—||do.||Mrs. Giles||1712|
|Here is Tavistock Court|
|TAVISTOCK STREET: SOUTH SIDE, EAST TO WEST|
|No. 10 York Street with 1||Hat and Stocking||5 July 1712||59 from 25 March 1712||12||—||34'||John Prince junior||bricklayer||St. Paul's||building||lessee||1712–20|
|2 and 3||Harlequin and Pierot Golden Anchor and King's Arms||16 May 1712||do.||18||—||40'||Joseph Gronous||citizen and vintner of London||—||building two messuages||Mr. Richard Leveridge||1714–36|
|4||Mr. Jerom Brunetta||1714–22|
|5||Indian Queen||31 Aug. 1713||60 from 29 Sept. 1713||10||4||31' 6"||Benjamin Payne||citizen and carpenter of London||—||building one messuage||Mr. Barcher||1715|
|6||Sun||17 May 1712||59 from 25 March 1712||7||—||18'||do.||do.||—||do.||Mr. John Hawk||1714–15|
|7||Angel and Crown||16 May 1712||do.||do.||do.||do.||do.||—||do.||Mr. John Jeffryes||1712–13|
|8||Wheatsheaf and Star||10 April 1711||61 from 25 Dec. 1710||11||—||24'||do.||do.||—||do.||lessee||1712–13, 1715|
|9||Crown and Fan||15 March 1710/11||61 from 25 March 1711||7||10||19'||Thomas Samms||joiner||St. Clement Danes||do.||Mr. Mathew Butterfick||1712–15|
|10||Three Crowns||28 July 1712||60 from 25 March 1712||7||—||20'||Abraham Jordan||citizen and carpenter of London||—||do.||Mr. Benjamin Portlock||? 1714–24|
|11||Golden Fleece||do.||do.||do.||do.||William Diamond||bricklayer||St. James's Westminster||do.||Mrs. Elizabeth Vyes||1714|
|12||Indian Queen Star and Garter||4 Aug. 1712||do.||13||6||38' 6"||John Foltrop||citizen and carpenter of London||—||building two messuages||Mr. Richard Coombes||1714–16|
|13||Mr. John Aldern||1714–33|
|14||Indian Queen||2 Aug. 1708||61 from 25 Dec. 1707||12||—||34'||do.||do.||—||do.||Mrs. Elizabeth Leigh and George Carver||1710 1710–12|
|15||Golden Fleece||Mr. Gribbs||1710|
|17||Mr. Christopher Plunket||1710|
|18||Naked Boy||2 Aug. 1708||61 from 25 Dec. 1707||5||19||17'||Abraham Jordan||citizen and carpenter of London||—||building one messuage||Mr.John Bradshaw||1709–24|
|19||Blackmoors head||do.||do.||do.||do.||do.||do.||—||do.||Captain William Hewet||1709–10|
|20||Golden Lyon Acron Golden Anchor and Star||do.||do.||17||13||51'||John Foltrop||citizen and carpenter||—||building three messuages||Mrs. Dorothy Pagett||1710–18|
|21||Mr. Daniel Lambert||1710–13|
|22||Dr. John Hays||1709–13|
|23||Three fleur de lis||14 May 1708||61 from 25 March 1706||7||—||22' 2½"||William Holmes||grocer||St. Martin's in the Fields||building one messuage||Mr. Thomas Allen||1710–38|
|Here is Southampton Street|
|TAVISTOCK STREET: NORTH SIDE, WEST TO EAST|
|24||Built for the second Duke of Bedford by direct labour, and leased by verbal agreement||Mr. Jo Philips||1710–12|
|25||10 June 1709||61 from 25 March 1706||10||—||20'||John Chaplin||citizen and joiner of London||St. Anne's||building one messuage||Mrs. Anne Appleton||1710–13|
|26||Wheatsheaf||13 June 1709||do.||11||—||22'||do.||do.||do.||do.||Mr. Joshua Lloyd||1709–12|
|27||Pineapple||11 May 1708||61 from 25 Dec.1707||10||—||21'||Joseph Hayes||merchant||St. James's Westminster||do.||lessee||1709–29|
|28||One of the three houses to be built under lease to Nicholas Launce: see No. 8 Tavistock Row||Mr. George Washington||1712–29|
|29||Flower de Luce||Back of house in Tavistock Row built under lease to John Leader: see No.6 Tavistock Row||Mr. Jo Leader (lessee)||1714|
|30||The Sun||16 Dec. 1710||61 from 29 Sept. 1710||7||—||20'||John Leader||cooper||St. Paul's||do.||Mr. Burston||1712–13|
|31||Salutation||12 Dec. 1706||61 from 25 March 1706||do.||20'×35'||John Phillips||citizen and bricklayer of London||—||do.||Mr. Joseph Machin||1709–15|
|Here is Tavistock Court|
|32||Crown Princess Royal||4 Aug.1712||59 from 25 March 1713||17||2||41'×59'||John Foltrop||citizen and carpenter of London||—||building three messuages, (one in Tavistock Court)||Mr. John Pyles||1714|
|33||Mr. Francis Hurden||1712–14|
|34||Mr. James Walker||1709|
|35||Rising Sun||24 July 1712||60 from 25 March 1712||8||11||19'||Thomas Rathbone||carpenter||St. Marylebone||building one messuage||Mrs. Mary Bayley||1714–16|
|36||Blackmoors head||do.||do.||do.||do.||do.||do.||do.||do.||Mr. Edward Stockdale||1714–23|
|37||Eagle and Pearl||17 Jan. 1710/11||61 from 25 Dec. 1710||7||4||16'||William Broughton||clothworker||St. Mary le Savoy||do.||lessee||1712–29|
|38||Parrott||22 April 1712||59¾ from 25 March 1712||8||2||18'||Michel Caboret Lagarene||goldsmith||St. Martin's in the Fields||do.||Mr. Francis Young||1712–14|
|39||Golden Ball||30 May 1712||61 from 25 March 1712||8||—||18'||William Sudbury||carpenter||St. Mary le Savoy||do.||Mrs. Joana St. Loe||1714|
|40||18 March 1713 14||59 from 25 March 1714||12||16||32'||Edward Bearcroft||gentleman||St. Andrew Holborn||building two messuages||Mr. Samuell Bellgrove||1714|
|41||Mr. Solomon Long||1714–25|
|42||18 May 1713||59 from 25 March 1712||11||—||72'×15'||Nicholas Launce||gentleman||St. Paul's||building two messuages||Mrs. Catherine Cowper||1714–29 1714 1714–15|
|43||Mr. Jeremiah Milner and Mrs. Ursula Holton||1714 1714–15|
|Here is Charles Street|