Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXXV.—No 14, BEDFORD SQUARE.
Ground landlord and lessee.
Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.; lessee, Arthur Rhuvon Guest, Esq.
General description and date of structure.
The front room on the first floor has a well-designed plaster ceiling (Plate 79), the wall frieze being enriched with griffins, of a slightly different a type to those in No. 11. The chimneypiece is of white marble with a central decorative panel.
The rear room on the same floor has also an ornamental plaster ceiling of very simple design, and the white marble chimneypiece is inlaid with Siena marble.
Condition of repair.
The premises are in good repair.
According to the ratebooks the first occupant of the house was Thos. Hibbart, who resided there during 1780 and 1781. He was followed by Jas. Bailey from 1782 to 1793, and from the latter year, Sir Alexander Monro was in occupation.
In the Council's collection are the following:—
(fn. 1) Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).
Marble chimney-piece in front room on first floor (photograph).
Ornamental plaster ceiling in rear room on first floor (photograph).