No. 40, Bedford Square

Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

'No. 40, Bedford Square', in Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II, ed. W Edward Riley, Laurence Gomme( London, 1914), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol5/pt2/p176 [accessed 22 July 2024].

'No. 40, Bedford Square', in Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Edited by W Edward Riley, Laurence Gomme( London, 1914), British History Online, accessed July 22, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol5/pt2/p176.

"No. 40, Bedford Square". Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Ed. W Edward Riley, Laurence Gomme(London, 1914), , British History Online. Web. 22 July 2024. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol5/pt2/p176.

In this section

LXXXIV.—No. 40, BEDFORD SQUARE.

Ground landlord and lessee.

Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.; lessee, Mrs. Monico.

General description and date of structure.

On 20th November, 1777, a lease (fn. 1) was granted of a parcel of ground, and a messuage thereon on the south side of Bedford Square, and the east side of Caroline Street, "being a corner house." This was obviously No. 40, the house at the western end of the south block.

The front room on the ground floor contains a white marble chimneypiece of simple design, with inlay panels of Siena marble. Above is a fine oval plaque (Plate 93), containing figures. The frieze and cornice to the room appear to be part of the original work.

The front room on the first floor has a plaster ceiling (Plate 94) of simple and delicate design with circular painted panels in the style of Antonio Zucchi, or Angelica Kauffmann.

Condition of repair.

The premises are in good repair

Biographical notes.

The earliest occupant of the house seems to have been William Dickey who, according to the ratebooks, resided there from 1782 to 1791. From 1792 until after the close of the century, Thomas Green was the occupier.

In the Council's collection are:

(fn. 2) Chimney-breast in front room on ground floor (plaster plaque illustrated) (photograph).
(fn. 2) Ornamental plaster ceiling with painted panels in front room on first floor (photograph).

Footnotes

  • 1. Middlesex Registry Memoriais, 1777, VII., 351.
  • 2. Reproduced here.